The "Tech Package" option has not been available for over a year. The various options in that package were reorganized, some became standard, some went into a new option package.
So are you asking if an older Model S that was built without the Tech Package option could have some of the items in that option added to it later?
My answer is "probably not", but if you specific exactly which features you want to know about, that will make it easier to answer your question.
The answer is "sort-of" it depends which items you want, and which service centre you deal with. Some are more accommodating than others. All the software parts of the tech package can be unlocked for a fee, and some of the hardware parts can be added for a fee (some more reasonably than others)
As others have pointed out though "tech package" varies by year, so different features were, or were not, part of it at various times. A quick list of some of them:
- Navigation, can be added by software for a fee
- auto-presenting handles, can be added by software for a fee
- parking sensors, can be added, but are very expensive as they need new bumper covers, and, sometimes, a new wiring harness
- fog lights and LED cornering lights, can be added, simple swap of the modules and software update
- power lift gate, not sure, but I would suspect this one would be prohibitive
- lighted door handles, don't know.
- GPS enabled homelink, don't know
- HID headlights, can be added for a fee
- auto-dimming mirrors, don't know
- power folding mirrors, don't know
Quite a few threads on this, so I just picked one to resurrect.
Has anyone gone down this road and gotten price quotes for adding some of the software-only items that were included in the classic S tech package? I have a Dec. 2012 build S85 without tech and would be interested in adding nav (for energy planner), auto present door handles, and possibly driver profiles.