Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Hubertz, Dec 22, 2015.
Can some features of the Tech Package be added to a car that doesn't have the tech package?
The "Tech Package" option has not been available for over a year. The various options in that package were reorganized, some became standard, some went into a new option package.
So are you asking if an older Model S that was built without the Tech Package option could have some of the items in that option added to it later?
My answer is "probably not", but if you specific exactly which features you want to know about, that will make it easier to answer your question.
You can add bumper sensors - pricey but possible
My car was built in May '15 and has the tech package. I think it was one of the last though. Shortly after, they discontinued it and put the power liftgate into the premium package.
The answer is "sort-of" it depends which items you want, and which service centre you deal with. Some are more accommodating than others. All the software parts of the tech package can be unlocked for a fee, and some of the hardware parts can be added for a fee (some more reasonably than others)
As others have pointed out though "tech package" varies by year, so different features were, or were not, part of it at various times. A quick list of some of them:
- Navigation, can be added by software for a fee
- auto-presenting handles, can be added by software for a fee
- parking sensors, can be added, but are very expensive as they need new bumper covers, and, sometimes, a new wiring harness
- fog lights and LED cornering lights, can be added, simple swap of the modules and software update
- power lift gate, not sure, but I would suspect this one would be prohibitive
- lighted door handles, don't know.
- GPS enabled homelink, don't know
- HID headlights, can be added for a fee
- auto-dimming mirrors, don't know
- power folding mirrors, don't know
Power folding mirrors can be added. But very pricey if the car does not have the wiring harness. Between $3K to $4K. About a thousand or so less if the car has the harness.