TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[TechCrunch] 7 Seats? In A Sedan? Tesla’s “Flat-Pack Battery” Model S

Discussion in 'News' started by AnOutsider, Nov 16, 2011.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Note in the comments that everyone is afraid of the rear child seats. Tesla has a selling job to do in order for these to be accepted!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I think the crash tests will solve that one way or the other. The bigger issue I think is actually having kids back there. I'm expecting my first in March, and maybe I'll learn differently over time, but I couldn't see putting them that far back. I suppose if the car is full then at least they're within reach of the people in the back seat.

4. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

If Elon's willing to put his kids there, I think that's evidence enough of their safety. But they will need to sell that hard.

Funny how times change, though -- no one thought twice about popping kids in the rear-facing seats of the big station wagons of the 70s and 80s.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Well you wouldn't put an infant back there. Kids would have to be at least seat-kicker age, at which point you might appreciate the sepparation. :wink:

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yep, my folks had five kids and we definitely had rear-facing seats in the old wagon when I was growing up. This was before mini-vans. The mini-vans killed the big-ass station wagons.

7. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I saw this video before the posting and thought that she did a better job explaining the feature of the screen than some of the oter TM reps.

8. seanlu

seanlu New Member

In this video (45 seconds to 58 seconds), Musk talked about how strong the Model S trunk is - "...It is capable of withstanding rear-end impact from a truck...".

Meet Tesla's 7-seat sedan - Video - Business News

9. Vexar

Vexar Member

Rear-facing seats are generally more supportive than front-facing seats in terms of an in-line crash. With the massive beams in back and all the crash testing that was done, I really don't get why consumers don't have observational skills. I also don't get why most politicians get elected, fashion trends, professional sports, and so on. My passengers are safe. Probably safer since my Model S doesn't have a setting that says "I'm about to do something insane." :smile:

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Why did you post in this thread that has been inactive since 2011? :)

11. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

I thought the comment by Vexar from nearly 3 years ago was weirdly prescient i.e. "My passengers are safe. Probably safer since my Model S doesn't have a setting that says "I'm about to do something insane"".

12. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Why does the date the thread was posted matter? He had something to say on its subject. Do threads expire?

Actually, Vexar's comment was from last week. Still good, but not that prescient.

13. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Not at all, just curious.