Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Techical problem in less than 36 hours of Model S ownership??!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our new 2016 Model S, at 7 pm on Tuesday, worked great until this morning. I now have an error that says all auto drive features unavailable contact Tesla if persists. This includes no cruise control. Called roadside assistance, they had me do a reset and power off the car. Still have the same error. They called back several hours later telling me they will need to schedule an appt and likely have it several days because they believe the front camera has failed. The car has less than 500 miles, is this common for the model S? Not impressed so far.

Hope so, but support didn't make it sound like a quick fix. They did tell me they'd come pick the car up since the closest service center is over 2 hours from my home. They to,d me free pick up is available for 90 days. That seems like a short timeframe if I can't count on the car to run for 36 hours! Very frustrating after much excited anticipation of the Model S.

Hope so, but support didn't make it sound like a quick fix. They did tell me they'd come pick the car up since the closest service center is over 2 hours from my home. They to,d me free pick up is available for 90 days. That seems like a short timeframe if I can't count on the car to run for 36 hours! Very frustrating after much excited anticipation of the Model S.

Had this problem 3 or 4 times and it always went away after powering the car down and restarting. After the 3 time, they checked the logs (I was 800 miles from home) and determined the camera was at fault. Others have reported it's either a calibration issue with the camera or the camera itself. Mine was the camera and they sent a technician to the house to replace it. Took a couple of hours and no problems since. If they're offering to come pick it up, you might press them to just send a replacement and a technician instead.

It happens to me if I turn the car on facing the sun or another bright object. One the car is powered off and I get out for twenty minutes it's fine again. Sometimes it will happen after I manually stop a summon.
Each time it happened after the car sat out in a parking lot, on a clear but cold windy day for 30-60 minutes. Both times the car was parked far away from buildings or other cars to avoid door dings. Seems a car this expensive should be able to sit outside in the wind for an hour without cruise and autopilot failing!

Reactions: fasteddie7
Tesla will come pick it up next week and provide me a rental while they work on it. Not a Tesla rental though!

It happens to me if I turn the car on facing the sun or another bright object. One the car is powered off and I get out for twenty minutes it's fine again. Sometimes it will happen after I manually stop a summon.

^THIS. I never park facing the sun. I frequently get "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" if I do. And, I agree...it takes a 15-20 minute "cool down" or recalibration period facing away from the sun to get it to reset.