Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Technical question about Tesla app and keyless driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure I know the answer but figured I'd ask if anyone knows for sure. But is the Tesla app (and third-party apps that use the API like Remote S) capable of short-range communication to issue commands to the car? Like if there's no cellular signal, will it work if the phone is close, either through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? Does it need to go through the server? I guess Wi-Fi would basically be through the server too, so really I'm wondering if it would work through Bluetooth, especially since the car is already paired with the phone through Bluetooth anyway. I'm pretty sure it has to go through the server.

I'd hate to get stuck if I'm relying on keyless start but have no cellular signal...

Everything goes through the Tesla servers. So, on your phone, you need either Internet (through 3g, 4g, LTE type connection), or through WiFi (that has internet access). Nothing is done over Bluetooth in this regard with the app.

Note, you do have to be kind of close to the car or someone does as 1) you have to unlock the car, and 2) the start command only starts a 2 minute timer where you have to get in, sit down, and drive off. Past 2 minutes and you have to issue the command again.

Hope that helps.
-T