TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Technologies needed to pass the Automotive Turing Test

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by brianman, Feb 12, 2014.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I was thinking about this the other day and meant to post about it, but I've been lazy and/or distracted. Rather than wait for time to post it eloquently, I'll just ramble a bit. Bear with me. Hopefully folks can focus on the intent rather than get distracted by poor choices of words, etc.

First, let me lean on (and trust) Wikipedia to describe the Turing Test:
    Turing test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With that as a backdrop...

Elon has become fond of the phrase "auto-pilot at the limit... is self-driving" (or something along those lines).

So let's run with that a bit. Suppose we define a Model S flavored automotive Turing test as follows:
    The intent with this phrasing is to bypass a lot of the logistical complexities that aren't directly related to the task of driving, but are related to transport. While the former are interesting, I'd like to call it out of scope for this discussion.

Now, the question is this:

Which technologies are missing from the Model S to pass this test consistently?

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Ah ha! Well, that proves to me that Brian, at least, really is Brianman and not Briancomputer. :)

And on other matters, you bring on a great topic. Hope it turns more insightful than this post.

3. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

Sadly, from my perspective it's missing some of the technology it ostensibly includes today. The voice recognition is positively dreadful for me, whereas Siri is generally quite reliable over Bluetooth. Something has to be done there before many of the more forward-looking technologies are even relevant.