Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Technology Review: Building Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the batteries are not manufactured in Fremont, where are they manufactured?

Also, what I never understood is the battery pack is said to be able to be swapped out in less than 2 minutes. But the battery pack is also said to be part of the structure--giving the car it's body stiffness. These two things seem incompatible to me.

If the batteries are not manufactured in Fremont, where are they manufactured?

Right now the cells are from Panasonic which has factories in Japan and other countries. The battery pack is made in Fremont. Tesla assembles the cells and other components to create the battery.

Also, what I never understood is the battery pack is said to be able to be swapped out in less than 2 minutes. But the battery pack is also said to be part of the structure--giving the car it's body stiffness. These two things seem incompatible to me.

The battery pack is fastened onto the body from underneath. The bolts incorporate the battery assembly into the body providing additional stiffness. undo the fasteners and the battery drops out (Don't try this at home).

The battery pack is fastened onto the body from underneath. The bolts incorporate the battery assembly into the body providing additional stiffness. undo the fasteners and the battery drops out (Don't try this at home).

The battery assembly is held in with 20+ bolts. The two minute quote assumed that special rigging would be developed that would simultaneously remove all 20+ bolts and then lower the battery assembly from the car.