TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Technology Review: Building Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by woof, May 25, 2012.

1. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

2. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Thanks for posting.

Some somber words at the end of that piece...my reaction is that someone has to pave the way.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Are there any auto factories in the US that have a uniform?

The Ferrari factory is the closest I've seen to Tesla's.

4. MarkR

MarkR Member

5. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

If the batteries are not manufactured in Fremont, where are they manufactured?

Also, what I never understood is the battery pack is said to be able to be swapped out in less than 2 minutes. But the battery pack is also said to be part of the structure--giving the car it's body stiffness. These two things seem incompatible to me.

6. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

The battery pack plugs into,the floor pan, which is molded to accept the ballet. With battery in, battery plus floorpan makes a superb structural unit, as well as keeping much of the weight at or below the axles for a great center of gravity.

Sent from my iPad

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Right now the cells are from Panasonic which has factories in Japan and other countries. The battery pack is made in Fremont. Tesla assembles the cells and other components to create the battery.

The battery pack is fastened onto the body from underneath. The bolts incorporate the battery assembly into the body providing additional stiffness. undo the fasteners and the battery drops out (Don't try this at home).

8. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

The battery assembly is held in with 20+ bolts. The two minute quote assumed that special rigging would be developed that would simultaneously remove all 20+ bolts and then lower the battery assembly from the car.

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

The pictures are awesome.