Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Techs/mechanics in Chicago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone recommend any mechanics anywhere in the Chicagoland area that do work on Teslas? I know they'd probably be limited on some of the big issues, but I don't want to have to go to a Service Center on every little thing and get price gouged ... especially for an out-of-warranty Model S. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Define “every little thing” please.

Anything to do with wheels and brakes can be done at any wheel or brake shop. I think you could handle wiper blades and fob batteries. Those are the regular maintenance items. Plus I believe a DU lubricant that might need to be replaced at some interval. I’d have Tesla do it.

Anything else is a failure. For those, I’d have Tesla price out before looking elsewhere.

These cars don’t require much maintenance and are otherwise pretty bulletproof.

I’m having an issue with heating. Tesla quoted me more than $3000 in repairs without ever looking at the vehicle. Thankfully, many great people on this forum have identified a simpler fix that requires a couple of $35 fuses from eBay. But it would require someone with a little mechanical aptitude ... and that ain’t me. That’s why I’m looking for someone who can do some simpler work that can bypass Tesla’s inflexible and radical surgery.

I’m having an issue with heating. Tesla quoted me more than $3000 in repairs without ever looking at the vehicle. Thankfully, many great people on this forum have identified a simpler fix that requires a couple of $35 fuses from eBay. But it would require someone with a little mechanical aptitude ... and that ain’t me. That’s why I’m looking for someone who can do some simpler work that can bypass Tesla’s inflexible and radical surgery.
Thx, that adds some context to your request. Can you post info about the fuse fix or link to thread? Depending on its complexity, I may have suggestions.

Is it just replacing fuses in fuse box? Or adding new fuses to wiring?

If latter, you are trying to find someone to install a non oem workaround published on an Internet forum. No surprise it’s hard to find takers.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
tomas, it's a little more complicated than replacing a fuse in the fuse box. This particular fuse lies inside the DC-DC converter and you have to pull it out of there. You can see more info in this thread. Of particular help to me were posts 17, 27 (very helpful photos), 59, and 66. Hopefully these are helpful to others as well. If you have any further insight, it would be great!

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricTravel
tomas, it's a little more complicated than replacing a fuse in the fuse box. This particular fuse lies inside the DC-DC converter and you have to pull it out of there. You can see more info in this thread. Of particular help to me were posts 17, 27 (very helpful photos), 59, and 66. Hopefully these are helpful to others as well. If you have any further insight, it would be great!
Thx. You are correct, it is a repair that will require either experience or chutzpah. Glad OCS300 has a possibility. I’ll check a couple as well, but not hopeful.

You are bringing up a good, tangible issue. Tesla's design/repair philosophy has been modular/replace module if it fails. Any repairs or refurbishing happens centrally. This has been good for Tesla’s speed of scaling service (less to teach SC technicians). And has been good for under warranty customers, as there’s been no cost to swap a component. An out of warranty customer wants the component repaired, not replaced, if repair is cheaper. I suspect the skills for this will hit the market when volume of out of warranty cars is sufficient to entice a few entrepreneurial Tesla service techs to jump ship and hang out a shingle.

If you’ve gotten chummy with any service managers, you might ask them if they know of any techs who have left to set up shop.

Reactions: braoudap
Actually, I took OSC300's advice and spoke to Austin today at Mancuso Auto Art. I am VERY encouraged! They are not afraid to tackle Teslas and are, in fact, already working on official certifications to be able to service our vehicles! He's taking a look at the the forum thread I referenced above and talking it over with his folks to give me a quote and let me know if they can do it. Keeping my fingers crossed. but it looks like it's only a matter of time before we start having a bunch of these guys pop up, according to him. Here's to hoping ...

Reactions: croman
Thx. You are correct, it is a repair that will require either experience or chutzpah. Glad OCS300 has a possibility. I’ll check a couple as well, but not hopeful.

You are bringing up a good, tangible issue. Tesla's design/repair philosophy has been modular/replace module if it fails. Any repairs or refurbishing happens centrally. This has been good for Tesla’s speed of scaling service (less to teach SC technicians). And has been good for under warranty customers, as there’s been no cost to swap a component. An out of warranty customer wants the component repaired, not replaced, if repair is cheaper. I suspect the skills for this will hit the market when volume of out of warranty cars is sufficient to entice a few entrepreneurial Tesla service techs to jump ship and hang out a shingle.

If you’ve gotten chummy with any service managers, you might ask them if they know of any techs who have left to set up shop.
Yes this is the issue he is having that Tesla finds it easier just to replace the whole thing vs. repair it. This is also true at dealerships. I have few years left on the warranty so not worry just yet.

Glad to hear! Thx @osc300 for sharing, as I have 1 more year of warranty on my 2012 S in Chicago. May need this too!

No worries! Any car fanatic will love Auto Art. They are usually working on uber high end cars like Lambos and Ferraris. Last time I was there they had a Ferrari torn down to the bone because the owner wanted a custom wide body kit. Also saw a crazy modded R8 Twin Turbo.

So far, i've had them add the Unplugged lowering brackets , then had them swapped for links cause the 1.75" drop with the brackets was just too much. The links dropped the car .75". I've also purchased a set of 20" Forgaito wheels and tires made with the correct tesla bore size (so no hub centering rings needed) from Auto Art. Next upgrade will probably be the unplugged sport shocks for the air suspension.

I usually see a few Teslas at the shop that have come in for body repairs after accidents.

There aren't many shops that will work on Teslas, and to find a good one is even harder.