Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teen mode suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd just like to state that you can take all the precautions you like, but as soon as one or more of their mates gets a bit rowdy & daring / goading the driver to distraction or break from the norm then you are royally screwed, with the potential for a multi occupancy car crash & all the problems that go with it.

If I could have bought the kid a one seater (not a twizy) it would have been a consideration, as is we bought a small two seater to limit back seat drivers & group goading, told the kid this was based on both experience & foresight, plus being left to pay for fuel whilst driving folk around.

Small smart for two, high seating, small car small footprint, good crash protection at a push was our choice, paddle gear shift, with enough oomph to get her out of trouble overtaking & that's about it.

Drive the 3 ? ...nope.

+ 1 for Tesla Teenager mode.

Valet mode has many compromises:

-If Teen has acces to app, they can disable valet mode. (work around is just give them physical key only but loose functionality of app for them). Easy fix is a separate PIN for the valet mode on the app (like they have for speed limit control).
-No access to Frunk/Glovebox (hard to provide your registration is pulled over if it's in the glovebox)
-No homelink for garage doors
-No smart speed control (such as allow 5 or 10 max over the posted limit). It limits acceleration and top speed but at lower in town speed limits they could exceed.

Also, speed limit control should be a smart speed limit control (no more than x amount over the posted limit). Saying the car can go no faster than 55 is no good for in-town driving (even for valets!)

Teslas are the safest cars on the planet in terms of crash worthiness and have excellent accident avoidance tech too. I feel great having my teens protected by the engineering that Musk and company has put into these cars. Everyone plugging a "beater" car with no acceleration for their teens is forgetting about the scenario when another distracted driver causes a collision with that beater.

We've got 2 teenage drivers (17 yo girl and 19 yo boy) in addition to a Model 3 and Y. Initially I agreed with many of the posters here about getting them a shitty first car, but then realized that they're actually pretty mature and responsible drivers - just inexperienced. I've found the navigation in the Tesla is superior to trying to look down at some iPhone map so ultimately I've found it safer for them to drive the Teslas. Additionally, I think the built-in safety features of the cameras, collision warnings, etc. will help keep them out of potential accidents. They also know I'm periodically monitoring them via the app and can see where they are, how fast they're going, etc. and that any infractions will impact their driving privileges. Anyways, it's only been a year with the cars and about 15k miles but so far so good.

Reactions: DFibRL8R
We've got 2 teenage drivers (17 yo girl and 19 yo boy) in addition to a Model 3 and Y. Initially I agreed with many of the posters here about getting them a shitty first car, but then realized that they're actually pretty mature and responsible drivers - just inexperienced. I've found the navigation in the Tesla is superior to trying to look down at some iPhone map so ultimately I've found it safer for them to drive the Teslas. Additionally, I think the built-in safety features of the cameras, collision warnings, etc. will help keep them out of potential accidents. They also know I'm periodically monitoring them via the app and can see where they are, how fast they're going, etc. and that any infractions will impact their driving privileges. Anyways, it's only been a year with the cars and about 15k miles but so far so good.
My personal experience, oldest (girl) is very responsible 19 year old. Had no issues driving our Model 3 with no restrictions other than leaving in Chill mode and having a +9 indicator chime for speed as a reminder. My 16 yo boy, seemed responsible but…I have tracked his driving speed with the app and noticed a tendency to drive faster than he should which triggered some conversation and warnings with me. That recently became more concerning when I caught him driving at a speed that was shockingly fast (had another male friend in the car). He lost privileges and is now back to driving in valet mode only to work/school. Trust but verify (and app does a good job here but could be better). I do like that speed limit mode sends the app a message when the driver gets close to the preset limit. I just wish it could be set up for a posted limit-based max (+5 etc).