Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tekonsha Prodigy RF Brake Controller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller installed on my travel trailer and am having problems with it. The remote (in the car) will not pair when the trailer-side unit is plugged into the MX. The behavior is like the trailer-side unit is not getting power. It does, however, pair when the unit is plugged into a car battery. So the problem seems to be due to the Tesla. Perhaps it's not providing a high enough voltage. Or perhaps the car isn't keeping the 12v line continuously on. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had a Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller installed on my travel trailer and am having problems with it. The remote (in the car) will not pair when the trailer-side unit is plugged into the MX. The behavior is like the trailer-side unit is not getting power. It does, however, pair when the unit is plugged into a car battery. So the problem seems to be due to the Tesla. Perhaps it's not providing a high enough voltage. Or perhaps the car isn't keeping the 12v line continuously on. Any ideas? Thanks.
There are reports that some early Model X's do not properly communicate with trailers having LED lights. i wonder if this might also be affecting your brake controller.

We have a Prodigy RF brake controller and have no problems. The difference is that we are using this adapter between the Model X and trailer.
Loading site please wait...

I had to pair mine with another vehicle and now when I plug it into my Tesla it has no problems pairing or staying connected. I have a December 2017 75D model X.

I had to pair mine with another vehicle and now when I plug it into my Tesla it has no problems pairing or staying connected. I have a December 2017 75D model X.

I was just told by the SC techs that the 12v auxiliary pin of the trailer plug is not connected on newer MX vehicles, although it was on older cars. They had no idea why this change was made.

Instead of using another vehicle to pair the controller, I worked around the problem by connecting the running-lights pin to the aux pin. That way I can just turn on the MX parking lights and get power to the brake controller.

I was just told by the SC techs that the 12v auxiliary pin of the trailer plug is not connected on newer MX vehicles, although it was on older cars. They had no idea why this change was made.

Instead of using another vehicle to pair the controller, I worked around the problem by connecting the running-lights pin to the aux pin. That way I can just turn on the MX parking lights and get power to the brake controller.

I just replaced our 2016 X90D with a 2018 X100D. I was able to pair the RF controller with the 2016 (and Curt 7-way trailer adapter) no problem. However, I had to use another vehicle to pair the RF controller with the new 2018 X. Can you tell me exactly how you connected the runnng-lghts pin to the aux pin? Maybe post a picture?

Hi Atlantian,
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you- 100D vs. P100D and towing

Using this wiring diagram as reference:
http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90250.pdf
I think the solve will be to splice the wire running to the "Tail & License" pin, so it also supplies its power to the "Battery Charge" pin. I plan to do this in the short span of harness held within the rear bumper cover area, as I don't want to open up the exterior wires that need to remain weather resistant.