Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tekonsha ZCI Wiring Harness Installation for Model S Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Torklift hitch which I installed with a friend's help on my 2014 Model S 85 with AP1. Torklift instructions were a little off for my particular model but the video by etrailer was very helpful and easy to follow (even though it was for a 2017 model).

Now I need to install the Tekonsha ZCI Wiring Harness. However it wants to run a wire to the 12v battery which is awkward to get to even after removing the inner small frunk liner. Plus you have to run a wire from the 12v battery to the area near the rear tail lights. Hard to do without a garage type vehicle lift.

None of the videos for the harness are very helpful, mostly because they are not for my 2014 Model S 85 with AP1 but for other models. The Tekonsha video is too general to be of any real help.
Does anyone know if there is a 12v outlet in the rear that we could hook into. If so, that would save an awful lot of time and patience.
Thanks

Tesla Mobile came out to my house to install the recalled airbag. While there I asked him about a 12v rear outlet with constant supply that I could attach my hitch wiring harness to. The Tesla mechanic said there is one on the rear passenger side. Apparently it's there for the rear-facing child seats if they are installed at a later date. Not sure what it would power - additional USB outlets maybe?
Does anyone have a picture or diagram of this outlet's exact location?

I have a Torklift hitch which I installed with a friend's help on my 2014 Model S 85 with AP1. Torklift instructions were a little off for my particular model but the video by etrailer was very helpful and easy to follow (even though it was for a 2017 model).

Now I need to install the Tekonsha ZCI Wiring Harness. However it wants to run a wire to the 12v battery which is awkward to get to even after removing the inner small frunk liner. Plus you have to run a wire from the 12v battery to the area near the rear tail lights. Hard to do without a garage type vehicle lift.

None of the videos for the harness are very helpful, mostly because they are not for my 2014 Model S 85 with AP1 but for other models. The Tekonsha video is too general to be of any real help.
Does anyone know if there is a 12v outlet in the rear that we could hook into. If so, that would save an awful lot of time and patience.
Thanks
Hi,
I have an issue identifying the wire for the Tekonsha brake connection. Can you provide how you connected your kit?
Thanks

I took on the project of installing the Torklift EcoHitch Stealth trailer hitch and Tekonsha trailer light wiring and I've created a series of YouTube videos to outline how I did it. When I was researching how to do it I found zero specifics about how to do it in my 2015 Tesla Model S 85D. The video linked above was helpful enough for the trailer hitch as everything was mostly the same, but the trailer light wiring was a LOT of trial and error to figure out! Hopefully these videos help others to get the hitch and wiring installed far faster than it took me to figure out, because it's awesome functionality to be able to have finally! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhYygFlMh_bevrHj6AUIykM2nLJSCbLoU

Thanks
I would like to see the video... it says it is private