Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telas advertising NEDC range not WLTP for new vehicles on UK+EU website pages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
"WLTP will apply to all new car registrations from September 2018. EU measures for end-of-series cars should allow for a limited number of unsold vehicles in stock that were approved under the old test (NEDC) to be sold the following year, that is until September 2019."

even on the US website they are using EPA, as NEDC is totally discredited and has never been a european measure anyway.

Tesla sloppiness or just playing fast and loose with the figures for a change?

True. And judging by some of the real world tests it looks like WLTP can be seriously gamed already which is depressing since it was supposedly more realistic. NEDC is a US measure that has been largely replaced with the somewhat more credible EPA rating.

Unsatisfactory how Tesla have reverted to NEDC for UK consumers though.

NEDC is a US measure that has been largely replaced with the somewhat more credible EPA rating.

Are you saying that the NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) is not a European standard? I thought the clue would be in the name. US EPA is the American standard that Tesla have always used in the US as you would expect, since it is a US standard.

WLTP has replaced NEDC in Europe, but that won't apply to Tesla S/X models until they re-test them under the new rules.

my error NEDC is in fact the deprecated EU measure but as of September last year WLTP should be used for all new vehicles with the exception of a 12 month period to cover existing stock only.

Yes, I expect Tesla will move to quoting WLTP range in Europe sometime this year, but I wonder if the Model S/X have actually been officially tested on the WLTP cycle yet? Maybe not at this point.

Also remember that this new WLTP standard also includes the latest emissions regulations for ICE cars, hence the talk about moving existing stock. For Tesla, or any other EV, that part of the test is irrelevant as it's only a range figure with no physical change to the cars. ICE manufacturers on the other hand have been holding stock of engines that don't meet the new more stringent WLTP emissions, which has been causing all manner of supply problems.