Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telegraph (UK) reviews the Model S - 3rd March 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S review - Telegraph

Tesla Model S review
The electric Tesla Model S is a very fine car with a few frustrating compromises

4 out of 5 stars

Full Article: Tesla Model S review - Telegraph

Superficially the Tesla Model S electric car is so “the answer”, you wonder if other motor makers haven’t been sleeping on the job. With a share price on fire after recently announcing plans for a new battery “gigafactory” (that’s a factory, then) confirming next year’s SUV and a smaller, cheaper model for 2017, there’s barely a silicon-valley baron without a Model S in his baronial drive. This precocious 11-year-old PayPal-funded car maker has...

Full Article: Tesla Model S review - Telegraph

That's a bitter-sweet review.

I enjoyed it but would like him to compare the supposed 84g/km figure to the REAL figure from an M5 or Aston (not the rated figures which are nowhere near what you get in real life). And then the fact that in a country like Norway the car makes no "CO2 hole in the atmosphere" only reflects on the poor decisions being taken by the UK government as to its power source choices.

Soon they'll be invading the UK streets!

.../ the Tesla doesn’t traverse bumps well, with poor damping control, a choppy ride quality and an unpleasant, darty feel to the steering, which conveys almost no feedback. Speed up and it gets worse, with the wheels running out of rebound travel and the car crashing over crests. /...

Is this accurate?

- - - Updated - - -

.../ To produce a car of such accomplishment in just 10 years /....
It didn’t take 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

.../ however, it’s also aimed at a soft and wealthy part of the market and it’s vocal neophytes often miss the point.

When it comes to getting around, there’s no such thing as a free lunch, virtually all power has a climate change implication whatever you drive. Charged off a British domestic supply, Tesla’s well-to-wheels carbon contribution will be at least 84.7g/km.

It’s great, but it still leaves a CO2 hole in the atmosphere and to claim anything else is plain misleading. /…
How about if you get your electricity from:

Ecotricity - the green energy company, supplier and generator of eco electricity and gas

…or I don’t know – the sun…

- - - Updated - - -

.../ There’s a network of sorts in the states where Tesla recently managed to drive from California to New York, although jinking between them meant the journey took almost 700 extra miles. We’ve also heard of frequent low-speed "races" to the supercharge stations between Tesla drivers anxious not to wait in line for a fill up. [My underline.] /...
Where did ”they” hear that?

"the Tesla doesn’t traverse bumps well, with poor damping control, a choppy ride quality and an unpleasant, darty feel to the steering, which conveys almost no feedback. Speed up and it gets worse, with the wheels running out of rebound travel and the car crashing over crests."

That was my issue with the review as well. Seems completely opposite my experience. Ride is smooth, even with the 21s. Darty steering? Nope. Feedback isn't the greatest, but I can feel the texture of the road through the wheel so its not completely numb.

Last edited:
That's a bitter-sweet review.

I enjoyed it but would like him to compare the supposed 84g/km figure to the REAL figure from an M5 or Aston (not the rated figures which are nowhere near what you get in real life). And then the fact that in a country like Norway the car makes no "CO2 hole in the atmosphere" only reflects on the poor decisions being taken by the UK government as to its power source choices.

Soon they'll be invading the UK streets!

He could also pinpoint the possibility of making your own energy by solar panels on your house roof. Which I have done, self supporting free energy whole year around !

.../ Don't forget they built the Roadster first. /...
That was kind of the point I wanted to make. They haven't just made the Model S in those ten years. They've also made the Roadster, the drivetrains to the Smart EV, the latest Toyota Rav 4 EV, and have been at work at the drivetrain for the upcoming Benz B-class EV. Those ten years wasn't just spent on the Model S.

That was kind of the point I wanted to make. They haven't just made the Model S in those ten years. They've also made the Roadster, the drivetrains to the Smart EV, the latest Toyota Rav 4 EV, and have been at work at the drivetrain for the upcoming Benz B-class EV. Those ten years wasn't just spent on the Model S.

Well, in a way, it was all part of the road map to the Model S and beyond. They couldn't have built Model S if they didn't learn by doing the Roadster. They learned a lot from Lotus, and they learned a lot on their own.

One stand out thing about this article - the guy obviously drove the car like an immature teenager.

There is definitely an exercise in "getting it" that needs to happen in the UK and Europe.

Musk suggested that the first UK RHD delivery will go to someone famous (I would guess royalty) in the UK. This is the correct approach for that culture.

Meanwhile, these reporters should not be allowed out without a Tesla co-pilot explaining the whole deal. EU is a long way from Silicon Valley.

Is he driving the same car that I am, do not feel any of the road handling or suspension issues. Certainly do not feel like a Baron, although when driving sometimes I think I'm dreaming and have to pinch myself. Maybe if I had a pint and a pasty I would feel different.

Last edited: