Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telephone recording discussions....(Seriously?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey contaygious, yeah that really bugs me. I also just called Tesla and recorded the whole conversation. I asked questions like when mine was coming, how it would be delivered and such. i'll try to get tat up. He mostly just said that the car was almost done, and that I would be called with vin in about a week, along with the delivery period. Kinda late. But i should get it around Christmas which should be nice.
------------
Update from moderator: the original poster has clarified that only the OP's side of the conversation was recorded.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey contaygious, yeah that really bugs me. I also just called Tesla and recorded the whole conversation. I asked questions like when mine was coming, how it would be delivered and such. i'll try to get tat up. He mostly just said that the car was almost done, and that I would be called with vin in about a week, along with the delivery period. Kinda late. But i should get it around Christmas which should be nice.
I sure hope you told the rep you were recording and that you may be publishing it. Some states may even have laws on that.

I sure hope you told the rep you were recording and that you may be publishing it. Some states may even have laws on that.

Including California! For those old enough to remember, this is the law (in Maryland, in that case) that eventually led to Linda Tripp/Monical Lewinsky because Tripp recording their phone calls without Lewinsky knowing.

Sorry for the OT, but in any event, there are about a dozen states that don't allow you to record a conversation without both parties' consent, including California (but not New Jersey, AFAIK). Careful!

I know I am going off topic, however this recording a Tesla employee really bothers me. The last thing any of us want is less than candid and honest answers when we inquiry about our cars when we speak with Tesla. Posting recorded conversations without consent is the surest way to get Tesla to clam up and give only generic scripted responses. Please don't post your recording. The ethical issue is another matter, however I am not here to judge.

I know I am going off topic, however this recording a Tesla employee really bothers me. The last thing any of us want is less than candid and honest answers when we inquiry about our cars when we speak with Tesla. Posting recorded conversations without consent is the surest way to get Tesla to clam up and give only generic scripted responses. Please don't post your recording. The ethical issue is another matter, however I am not here to judge.

It bothers me, too. If something like that gets posted (now or by someone else in the future), please pm the mods immediately.

12 States require that both parties be notified that a conversation is being recorded...California IS one of them, but New Jersey (Where daripalli is) is not...And the law applies to where the recording originates from, so he's fine (from a legal standpoint).

Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

See above...Illegal in some states, but not New Jersey (where the poster is from).

And without consent, very illegal.

12 States require that both parties be notified that a conversation is being recorded...California IS one of them, but New Jersey (Where daripalli is) is not...And the law applies to where the recording originates from, so he's fine (from a legal standpoint).

Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Are you a lawyer? I'm not, but from my two minutes of research your claim seems bogus, it seems to me that it is illegal to record *any* call from California without their consent.

One of many sources:
http://www.wileyrein.com/publications.cfm?sp=articles&newsletter=4&id=1901

Are you a lawyer? I'm not, but from my two minutes of research your claim seems bogus, it seems to me that it is illegal to record *any* call from California without their consent.

One of many sources:

You are correct -- he can (theoretically) be prosecuted in California, not New Jersey, and California would not draw a distinction about which state the call originated from because the law is intended to protect its residents/citizens.

And, my apologies to whoever thought I was making a "political" statement when I referenced Monica Lewinsky/Linda Tripp. I only referenced it because it's one of the more famous examples where a state with a two-party consent law put someone (Linda Tripp, in that case) in a compromising position and I thought it would jog people's memory about why it is dangerous to ever record a conversation over the phone without both parties being aware of it.

What i find interesting is that daripallihas not replied at all to any of the forum's concern. I was hoping for an apology and a promise to delete the recording. Oh well, maybe a course in ethics 101...

I'm not sure he's required to? He hasn't posted the recordings and I'm not sure it's illegal to just have them... Even if it is, I don't see the harm or concern we should have over it.

If he posts, then we will deal with it. In the meantime, lets steer this discussion back on track.

That ruling was a weighted decision that applied specifically to that case...From the analysis: "Will the case prompt more litigation? We certainly can expect plaintiffs in other states with two-party consent laws to initiate such litigation (although the damage-award denial may reduce their enthusiasm somewhat)." This ruling was in 2006...Have their been further challenges?

One of many sources:

I'm not sure he's required to? He hasn't posted the recordings and I'm not sure it's illegal to just have them... Even if it is, I don't see the harm or concern we should have over it.

If he posts, then we will deal with it. In the meantime, lets steer this discussion back on track.

Without consent, it cannot be posted, and so we should not have to deal with that. In California, even the recording itself is not allowed without consent. So unless that consent exits, the recording should be deleted (even if made outside CA).

However, as said above, all this would better move to the off-topic forum.

In general, I think the attitude towards Tesla too often goes in the direction of 'investigating', even if here the intention was simply to get hold of plain facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.