Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't do that, with the notable exception of the faux-rad on the first model S and which they have not dumped. Telsa is trying to look at the vehicles, imagining the potential that's there without the limitations imposed by old ICE paradigms. That's not the same as making a "weirdmobile". EVs are simple. You don't need a continuous display of engine operating parameters, that drove the big instrument clusters in ICE cars.

That's just it. It can be argued they should stop re-imagining things that need no re-imagining at this stage. While some Tesla might get right in the end, some they will miss - and all that is different will be an adoption obstacle that is completely unnecessary. Selling a BEV is already hard to a big portion of the market. Making it familiar and not too different is where Model S so excelled. Model X and Model 3 are taking it unnecessarily far, IMO.

BMW put a lot of original and even good thought into the BMW i3, but it is still a weirdmobile with adoption obstacles all over it. A lot of the great innovation that it actually has, is lost...

I am not quite understanding the weird mobile connection.... have you not seen the new Toyotas, Nissans, Hondas? They are all weird... I mean take a look at the new Prius for goodness sakes. Now take a look at the exterior of the Model 3 and note its comparative lack of weirdness. Yes, the interior is minimal and the same complaint has be waged against the MS and MX for years (not luxurious enough.. blah, blah, blah). A sexy exterior and a minimal interior is what defines a Tesla. Deep breath everyone, it will be fine.

I would wager 9/10 random people from the street would agree Model 3 interior is "weird" vs. Toytas, Nissans and Hondas (or more to the point Audis, BMWs and Mercs). I would also wager that number would be less for Model S.

Anything a bit odd or tacky will push them the other way.
Even if it's against their own best self-interest? Unfortunately the answer is yes in most cases as a result of the first world's hubris, arrogance, and failure to understand the big picture. The number of cup holders, cell phone holders, or how much bling the steering wheel has become more important than poisoning the world we live in.

Here's a tought exercise: And be honest, now. If BMW had put this interior into an i3, would you have called it innovative or a weirdmobile?

I think we'd be hearing preaching how Tesla got it right in Model S/X and BMW just doesn't get it how a BEV can and should be a normal car...

The i3 is weird REGARDLESS of the interior. It seats only 4 people and has "suicide doors". The side window belt line is weird like a Honda Odyssey or Nissan Murano. This is not a good exercise.

A better thought experiment is whether the Model 3 interior would be ok in a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. I'd be ok with it.

I would wager 9/10 random people from the street would agree Model 3 interior is "weird" vs. Toytas, Nissans and Hondas (or more to the point Audis, BMWs and Mercs). I would also wager that number would be less for Model S.

I expect that you're right. The question is "is it a leap too far?". It's a bit like fashion. If the nerdy kid back in school shows up wearing something a bit odd, they will be ridiculed. If the cool kid does it, they are socially rewarded for being a leader, being imaginative and taking a risk. And then all of the wannabees follow.

Do something like this in a Yaris, and well.... we know where that will go. Do it in a Tesla and you might have a different outcome. Tesla is a strange combination of both nerdy and cool. And they might have the cachet to pull this off. The millennials (as the current young, cool, fashionable generation) love their tech toys, and a Apple-esque, clean simple car with a giant iPad in the in the middle might pry open the wallets (or bank loans) at lightning speed.

And then you might wind up with all the other automakers following suit like the lemmings that they seem to be.

That's just it. It can be argued they should stop re-imagining things that need no re-imagining at this stage. While some Tesla might get right in the end, some they will miss - and all that is different will be an adoption obstacle that is completely unnecessary. Selling a BEV is already hard to a big portion of the market. Making it familiar and not too different is where Model S so excelled. Model X and Model 3 are taking it unnecessarily far, IMO.

BMW put a lot of original and even good thought into the BMW i3, but it is still a weirdmobile with adoption obstacles all over it. A lot of the great innovation that it actually has, is lost...
I think the speedometer behind the steering wheel setup is a relic of ICE engine, there is one opening in the firewall for all the connections to go through, and both the steering wheel and the speedo rely on mechanical connections through the opening, that's why they're usually in the same place.

In an EV there is no firewall, there is no need to restrict the speedo to be in the same place as the steering wheel. I for one like the minimalist interior and the huge screen in the M3.

I see your point, but if that were true, how did the Prius, arguably one of weirdest cars ever designed, manage to convince people to adopt hybrids in mass?

Attachments

• Cumulative_US_HEV_Sales_by_year_1999_2009.png
    Cumulative_US_HEV_Sales_by_year_1999_2009.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 43
I see your point, but if that were true, how did the Prius, arguably one of weirdest cars ever designed, manage to convince people to adopt hybrids in mass?

For the same reason Model 3 will convince people to adopt BEVs in mass. It is good enough and there is no real competition. (Also Prius was hardly quite as extreme as Model 3.)

Model 3 will succeed, but I doubt that is any thanks to its interior.

That said, the Priuses and Teslas of the world will not be unique and without competition forever.

On a more serious note. I don't recall all the functions of the three stalks for the current S. Any thoughts on how they would be handled by two stalks on the 3 (or maybe moved to the screen)?

I guess AP could be handled through the steering wheel rollers? That is the missing/not seen stalk. In S/X the top stalks are blinker/washer and "gear" lever. Of course they may change all that too...

It certainly seems like two stalks only (Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel even in the enlargement).

I don't know, part of me things the interior is actually a means to reduce the weight more so than cost.
I was thinking along the line that the reduced number of interior components simplifies the assembly complexity, so they can make more, faster, cheaper, and also easier/faster to repair, reducing service cost. I can also see how fewer components also means lighter, leading to less batteries, longer range, etc. There are definitely multitude of advantages with this approach.