Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder what the international legality is of having no speedometer directly in your field of view

Quite a few cars have central speedometers...

For example have you ever been in a mini?
car_photo_457333.jpg

And check out that baby screen in the middle surrounded by the speedometer, that's the navigation system LOL

Or how about the Ford GT see that gage mounted in the center / far right... that's the speedometer...

17283689.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 99% confident that this will be the final steering wheel.

It's too late in the game to be validating candidate steering wheel prototypes. And before people jump on me about Elon's "spaceship" comment, I remind everyone that Elon also called the Model X 2nd row seats "sculptural beauty" (a serious wtf in terms of form over folding function).
I wish he'd switched claims (x seats are like a spaceship, model 3 steering wheel is a sculptural beauty)

Any speculation on what the two "scroll wheels" are for? Or is it not worth even thinking about if the idea is that this isn't the final steering wheel?
I had the same question. I'm more intrigued by the scroll wheels (and its functionality) than the actual look of the wheel (when I'm in my car, I look down the road for a vast majority of the time, not the steering wheel).

Last edited:
I've spent the last few years exclusively using my cheap, tiny, "center mounted" GPS as my speedometer and it's never been an issue. There is no functional difference between glancing down, and glancing slightly right, your eyes are pretty speedy folks. I think that what will take getting used to in the 3 is the lack of visual clutter. Most cars have so much cr@p EVERYWHERE that the lack of buttons, switches, toggles, vents etc is what "feels" strange here.

Oh no. Forget the steering wheel. :D What is that ugly looking laptop like display sticking out in the middle? Is that the main display? If so, I'd be asking for my deposit back if I had an M3 on order. That just looks terrible to me. How easy is that thing going to be to break when it sticks out like that?

Anyways, going beyond the steering wheel, I'm guessing we are seeing the rumored "invisible" air vents which are all the way across the dash. I wonder how that's going to work? When you first get in a stinking hot car, you want to feel a powerful blast of AC air, which comes from a vent. If the whole dash is a long vent, you won't be able to get concentrated air, nor be able to easily have more or less air to the driver or passenger.