Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me which model 3 to purchase and why (or why not)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new RWD standard range is too much for me. I just looked. And despite the risks I love the idea of getting AWD with over 300 mile range.

That said, somebody suggested an older model s with higher miles and all issues address (don’t yet know what that means).

I really really want to get into a Tesla and I’ve been telling myself no for waaay too long.

I am willing to accept the risks of a rebuilt so long as I can inspect the car closely. Hell, if I could get certified to work on the HV system I certainly would!

Oh, sorry if I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean a new one — but similar mileage used with a clean title. Like, if 31.8k buys a 37,000 mile LR AWD with a salvage title, what is it with a clean one and similar age? Sorry — that’s what I was getting at. What’s the “price break” for picking a salvage model?

My one and only warning is that they’re addictive. Once you drive electric, gas feels … like an idea whose time has come and gone.

Oh, sorry if I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean a new one — but similar mileage used with a clean title. Like, if 31.8k buys a 37,000 mile LR AWD with a salvage title, what is it with a clean one and similar age? Sorry — that’s what I was getting at. What’s the “price break” for picking a salvage model?

My one and only warning is that they’re addictive. Once you drive electric, gas feels … like an idea whose time has come and gone.
Ah, I’ll look around. I think used models were pretty high still.

Unless you’ve got a suggestion of where to buy other then the usual places like Carmax, etc? Is there an EV/Tesla specific site other than olny used Tesla? I saw a couple of good deals sheet snatched recently that were just pushing my limit.

Ah, I’ll look around. I think used models were pretty high still.

Unless you’ve got a suggestion of where to buy other then the usual places like Carmax, etc? Is there an EV/Tesla specific site other than olny used Tesla? I saw a couple of good deals sheet snatched recently that were just pushing my limit.

There’s EV-CPO.com which searches Tesla’s used inventory …. Onlyusedtesla tends to be expensive. EV-cpo also links out to findmyelectric.com. No idea how they’re affiliated as I’ve never bought from them.

As you can see, these cars are *red hot* in the market so taking time to analyze and think it over tends to work against you. All I can suggest is to be ready to pull the trigger fast once you find the one you want.

And yes, I’m in #camprandorin on the silver one above. Given only those two, I’d choose the silver all day and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: jjrandorin
@dmurphy and @al-capone

There are two 2013 model S that aren’t a stretch and there was one model 3 that’s pending that is not too much of a stretch.

Here’s the link
53602D14-5E78-4D9B-BC81-5C367D563EDC.png

A new RWD standard range is too much for me. I just looked. And despite the risks I love the idea of getting AWD with over 300 mile range.

That said, somebody suggested an older model s with higher miles and all issues address (don’t yet know what that means).

I really really want to get into a Tesla and I’ve been telling myself no for waaay too long.

I am willing to accept the risks of a rebuilt so long as I can inspect the car closely. Hell, if I could get certified to work on the HV system I certainly would!
I drove a friend's 2014 model s p90d, with 120000 miles it still felt so solid and new. Rides way better and quieter than my 21 model 3.

You should definitely have a look at model s and see if you can get one for your budget.

I’m considering two 2018 model 3s, here’s the specs on both and I’m thinking buying “silver” is a no brainer. Yes, I know some folks are bullish on never buying rebuilt titled cars and neither car had supercharging (won’t be an issue for me)
Perhaps you want to try to find some information that would help you make the decision:
  • For each car, what was the damage that resulted in an insurance total loss?
  • For each car, is there any documentation or records on the repairs?

If you don't deal in rebuilt/salvage vehicles for a living, one of these vehicles with a bad title is not for you. Period.

If you know what you are doing, are mechanically savvy, and buy and sell frequently, you can make a buck or two on vehicles like this from time to time. It is a hassle though, and the market of buyers that will buy them is extremely small. OP if money is a huge concern, change your mind on this before you end up making a decision you are going to seriously regret down the line.

But I digress, FWIW I am not owning this car in single motor form, so silver it is.

I’m considering two 2018 model 3s, here’s the specs on both and I’m thinking buying “silver” is a no brainer. Yes, I know some folks are bullish on never buying rebuilt titled cars and neither car had supercharging (won’t be an issue for me)
The black one with the single motor. Since these are "rebuilt" take the one you feel is in better shape. One motor is one less thing to go wrong when "rebuilt" issues pop up.
Let it on me please!
My $.02. The sales prices are pretty high for older rebuilt Tesla's that 1. Are harder to insure if at all 2. A big risk that 2 months down the road you have an electrical or other issue that leaves you stranded that Tesla won't fix. 3. Very hard to resell. Conclusion: save some more and buy a Tesla with a clean title.

Reactions: house9