Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me why you love your dash cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blackvue seems to be the favorite for Tesla owners, and I have one as well. But a Blackvue firmware update apparently damaged my discontinued version (despite their website saying the update was good for my model) and their customer support has been extremely unhelpful in resolving the problem. All sorts of "try this, now try that" instructions, taking hours of my time to no avail. Don't they know their own products? They finally just gave up.
During this troubleshooting marathon, I never was able to actually talk to anyone in tech support OR customer service - they apparently refuse to speak to customers. I was required to de everything over email. So I emailed a description of the problem. Two days later I get a response to try this. An hour later I report back via email that it didn't work. Two or three days later I get another email saying to try something else. Another hour or two of work and I report that it didn't work either. Two days and I receive a few questions I had already answered on the earlier email. And so on...
Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Look closely at ALL alternatives for dashcams though - customer support is an important element of the purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: Mygr8 and ModelX
My recent DR750 installation proved to be useful this evening.

I was driving home and made a right turn onto a major road, where the #1 lane is freeway entrance only, and I had joined the #2 lane going elsewhere. A police officer exited a parking lot into the #1 lane right alongside me. Thinking he was entering the freeway, I attempted to pass in order to have a lateral safety area. He ended up speeding up with me then trying to force his way into the lane. I had to honk and take evasive action, and I was then pulled over. He explained to me that his blinker was on and he was trying to pass me to enter the road, claiming that it looked like I was trying to block him. I stated that I did not see his blinker and that it looked like he was trying to enter the freeway. We had some cordial back and forth and the usual ID check before he let me go with a verbal warning.

When I returned home, I pulled the footage from my dashcam. The video clearly showed that the officer's blinker was NOT on, and that he did confusingly try to force his way into my lane, requiring evasive action on my part to avoid a collision. While I do believe that the officer pulled me over in the interest of safety, his premise was mistaken. Had I been ticketed, I would have had very solid evidence to bring to court, avoiding my word against his. Money well spent.

If you don't have a dashcam, go get one!

Great post @BinaryField. I'm curious, would you mind sharing the video clip of this incident? I'm curious how much the Dash Cam was able to capture and at which angle.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

Thanks!

I'd normally post the video if this were a dispute with a private individual. Because this involves law enforcement, I'm a bit nervous about posting because it shows identifying information about the incident, including the timestamp, the plates of the officer's unmarked police car, and the names of the major cross streets / freeways. If the guy let me off with a verbal warning, I'd rather take that and let the situation die than risk the wrong person seeing it on the internet, "finding" something unrelated that I may have done wrong, and coming after me out of irritation. (Basically the same reason why I did not continue to argue with the officer even though I was pretty sure I was correct.) The footage will be thrown in storage for a while in case I ever need it.

Hope that's okay. I bet that you can find a ton of stuff recorded by BlackVues on YouTube though!

Last edited:
So I think this thread convinced me to install cams in my S75D. My question is about the install and how easily it will be to remove especially considering I’m leasing my Tesla. Bad idea? Would love some insight!

The blackvue install I posted earlier was fairly easy to install and based off of the install would be fairly easy to remove as well. I cannot imagine you would have any issues removing the camera before your lease end, or causing any damage to the car. Most of the installs ask you to remove paneling, etc.. However I did not remove anything and just used a wire fish to run the cable from the front cam to the rear cam, just made sure I was careful not to get the wire fish stuck on anything under the panels.

Last edited:
Also - Here is a video from my Blackvue of an Accident that I was witness to. The CHP and both parties insurance companies used this video. As I understand it, the person who caused the accident (car that crashed into the center divider) tried to claim that the other car involved in the accident side swiped them, when in fact it was the other way around. So the dashcam certainly helped someone else, and I hope that I never need to use it to help me... :)

Link to video:

Accident occurs about 35 seconds into the video.

Thanks!

I'd normally post the video if this were a dispute with a private individual. Because this involves law enforcement, I'm a bit nervous about posting because it shows identifying information about the incident, including the timestamp, the plates of the officer's unmarked police car, and the names of the major cross streets / freeways. If the guy let me off with a verbal warning, I'd rather take that and let the situation die than risk the wrong person seeing it on the internet, "finding" something unrelated that I may have done wrong, and coming after me out of irritation. (Basically the same reason why I did not continue to argue with the officer even though I was pretty sure I was correct.) The footage will be thrown in storage for a while in case I ever need it.

Hope that's okay. I bet that you can find a ton of stuff recorded by BlackVues on YouTube though!
Makes perfect sense. No worries. Thanks.

Reactions: BinaryField
I'm also debating purchasing a camera based on what I've seen and heard in this thread. Question, does tinting the windows, either the front or back, impact and video on the cameras? All the videos I see are pretty crisp. Wondering if those people had tinted windows.

• Helpful
Reactions: nobznss
The blackvue install I posted earlier was fairly easy to install and based off of the install would be fairly easy to remove as well. I cannot imagine you would have any issues removing the camera before your lease end, or causing any damage to the car. Most of the installs ask you to remove paneling, etc.. However I did not remove anything and just used a wire fish to run the cable from the front cam to the rear cam, just made sure I was careful not to get the wire fish stuck on anything under the panels.

Much appreciated. I’m sold :)

I'm also debating purchasing a camera based on what I've seen and heard in this thread. Question, does tinting the windows, either the front or back, impact and video on the cameras? All the videos I see are pretty crisp. Wondering if those people had tinted windows.

I had mine tinted 15% in the rear and the visibility is still great with my Blackvue 750 rear view cam even when there is low light. So, although the videos appear darker, it won't affect the quality and sharpness of the 1080p cam.

• Informative
Reactions: isjka
I've had mine installed for 3 months now and haven't had any issues with sticking the adhesive to the tint to ruin it. You should never have to remove the adhesive mounting bracket itself since the rear cam can be easily detachable from it by pressing the lock button.

Any issue with "sticking" the cameras to tint covered glass? I'm guessing it will stick, but might ruin the tint...especially if you attempt to remove it.

I mounted my rear camera to the plastic trim surrounding the rear glass. The camera is pretty much in the same position as mounting it directly to the glass but you don't have to worry about that adhesive sticking to tint and potentially causing it to peel.