Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell Tesla Motors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To make a Tesla UMC into a J1772 UMC you just change the plug. Clipper Creek have something similar for J1772 called the LCS-25, just it only goes to 25A.

We've seen in another thread that HPC retrofit is being done right now to lots of HPCs on the US West Coast.

The reason other EVSE manufacturers are not doing it is because they can get away with conning the LEAF owners into thinking that £1000 for a home 16A EVSE is a fair price...

This is getting very off-topic.

Give us the original concept front end. Yes, there are more important things to worry about in the world; but I will be a happier reservation holder knowing you will be using the original design. If not - please provide an explanation as to why?

Model_S_Front_End_Compare.JPG

Here's something I think Tesla Motors could do to enhance the buying experience.

I would like a video of "MY" Model S being built. Nothing scripted... On the video, I'd like to see the Tesla employees going about their daily routines. On the video, you would only hear the sounds of the assembly line equipment. You would see your car start as aluminum sheets, go through the stamping presses, then paint shop, through all the steps to the end. At the end of the video a HD camera would zoom in on the your unique VIN number.

All they would have to do is set up a few fixed location cameras. Some cameras could automatically rotate, zoom or move to follow each car as it progresses down the assembly line before switching to the next camera.

When you take delivery of your Model S the key chain would include a Tesla Branded Flash Drive which matches the color of your car with a pdf / digital copy of the cars manual and the video of your car being built preloaded on it. How cool would that be?

Yes, as others have said, Tesla ought to make the changeover to J1772 on the Roadster ASAP.
That includes delivering new Roadsters with a J1772 socket, and providing the adapter cable to old Roadster owners.
Then there would need to be the J1772 version of the UMC, and J1772 HPC.

It is probably tempting to finish out Roadster production using the Tesla plug/socket, but it just makes so much more sense to switch to J1772 particularly with the roll-out of public J1772 underway, and even existing public Tesla HPCs being converted to J1772.

Then there would need to be the J1772 version of the UMC, and J1772 HPC.

For us future Model S owners, a J1772 for the HPC if for no other reason than to allow us to get the cost of the HPC and installation reduced by the offset of the U.S. tax credit set to expire this year; it's already been reduced from 50% to 30%. I asked the local Tesla rep. about this and his answer was there was no need for the HPC as the UMC would work fine in the garage...missed my concern completely. I don't believe the UMC qualifies for the tax credit as it is a portable charging solution.

Is your garage with the Roadster in it going to be a single EV garage forever? Mine's not. Makes no sense to have a legacy connector based charger in there.

I want a J1772 socket conversion.

Beyond that, I want a headlight upgrade for the Roadster.

I want a wagon configuration of the Model S - the hatchback is great and roomy, but it's not a true estate car and doesn't do as well as a wagon would for a pack'o'dogs.

I want a J1772 socket conversion.

Beyond that, I want a headlight upgrade for the Roadster.

Me too. It would make travel so much easier instead of having to stop at people's houses with an HPC for a quick charge. We're fortunate there are so many nice owners willing to help people out but would still be nice to not bug people and just charge at a public station.

I wouldn't say so. I think that we all want the car to be converted foc by Tesla to J1772, failing that I think it descends through a paid conversion, a pig-tail to having to buy a pig-tail adapter.

I do recall some early rhetoric form Tesla saying that we'll be future proof. But, for the limited amount of time that I suspect most of us spend charging in the field, the J1772 pig-tail would be an ok compromise, what's frustrating is that we know that the full conversion can be done so we want it, I certainly do and I've never had to charge outside of my garage at home!

Same here Michael...was a poll ever done on this subject?

I wouldn't say so. I think that we all want the car to be converted foc by Tesla to J1772, failing that I think it descends through a paid conversion, a pig-tail to having to buy a pig-tail adapter.

I do recall some early rhetoric form Tesla saying that we'll be future proof. But, for the limited amount of time that I suspect most of us spend charging in the field, the J1772 pig-tail would be an ok compromise, what's frustrating is that we know that the full conversion can be done so we want it, I certainly do and I've never had to charge outside of my garage at home!

If you want an official Tesla J1772 conversion, make sure you call your sales rep or send them an e-mail. I sent an e-mail and basically said I realize this would be a paid conversion but that it would be very helpful.

Here is a brilliant marketing idea to give directly to Elon,

Warranty the Model S motor for one million miles. It will garner unprecedented attention since it would be the biggest automobile motor warranty of all time. There are still people out there who are afraid of buying a Model S because it's the first car of it's kind (even though it isn't) and from a new company (it is to them) The value of such publicity would far outweigh the costs of replacing the few that do break during the actual 200,000 mile life-of-car.

PS
I like the sound of 1 million miles over "Guaranteed for the life of car*" It just sound more motor cool but both phrases work.