Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell Tesla Motors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wags would turn around and say, "well they would say that, they'll never be around to honour it..."

A million miles would be such hyperbole that no one would believe it anyway. Much better to put it at just over 100,000 miles and say something like "We have the longest warranty in the industry." Then, like Hyundai which has a killer warranty, make the bulk of the warranty non-transferable past the original owner which helps avoid most of the financial bite associated with such a long warranty.

Tesla ought to make sure Model S + future vehicles have everything that can be found in Leaf Volt Telematic/infotainment and then some.
I know they are far along with features to go into the 17" center screen. I would say these things are expected:

• Realtime traffic monitoring. (XM/sat based, or 511.org internet based?)
  • Advanced GPS route planing, including optimized charge stops along the way.
  • Current projected range circle on the map.
  • Auto add charging locations to the map whenever you plug-in.
  • Smart phone app to do thing like monitor SOC, turn on climate control, etc.
  • Bluetooth handsfree. Sync phone list between phone and vehicle.
  • Proper iTunes controls for USB connected phones. (Don't force it into Bluetooth audio mode when playing music over USB.)
  • Wireless map updates to keep the street data up-to date. (Maybe it will just use Google maps over 3G/4G and not keep a local copy?)
  • A way for others to share new charge locations so that they can show up on your map too.
  • Sophisticated parking / back-up camera. (Hint/suggestion - position the camera as high up as possible facing somewhat downwards. Roadster's low camera facing straight backwards is sub-optimal.)
Oh, and all of this should be very responsive from a UI standpoint, and standard on all models.

Last edited:
Tesla ought to make sure Model S + future vehicles have everything that can be found in Leaf Volt Telematic/infotainment and then some.
I know they are far along with features to go into the 17" center screen. I would say these things are expected:

• Proper iTunes controls for USB connected phones. (Don't force it into Bluetooth audio mode when playing music over USB.)
  • Wireless map updates to keep the street data up-to date. (Maybe it will just use Google maps over 3G/4G and not keep a local copy?)
  • A way for others to share new charge locations so that they can show up on your map too.
  • Sophisticated parking / back-up camera. (Hint/suggestion - position the camera as high up as possible facing somewhat downwards. Roadster's low camera facing straight backwards is sub-optimal.)
Oh, and all of this should be very responsive from a UI standpoint, and standard on all models.

TEG, that was an excellent listing of wants. If Tesla Motors could hit the mark on some of those then the sky is the limit.

Some of us old timers were active on the TM blogs before this site ever came online.
There was a mass exodus when TM started to "over-moderate", delay and sometimes censor posting there.
Why should it go back there? What is wrong with having an independent forum like this?

Some of us old timers were active on the TM blogs before this site ever came online.
There was a mass exodus when TM started to "over-moderate", delay and sometimes censor posting there.
Why should it go back there? What is wrong with having an independent forum like this?

From the perspective of someone who's been here about a year, these forums are far better in terms of signal-to-noise ratio.

For some reason the TM forums seem to attract people who ask the same dumb questions all the time. "Can we put solar cells on the roof and drive forever?" "Can we use the vehicle's motion to recharge the batteries?" etc.

Well said TEG. I used to post on TM blog several years ago. Mostly during the Martin days. Back then, there were replies to some of the postings by a TM moderator. I still read the blogs; but rarely see a reply. This is a much better source of information, photos and interaction. Even humor, as in your crash test dummy friends :biggrin:

Well said TEG. I used to post on TM blog several years ago. Mostly during the Martin days. Back then, there were replies to some of the postings by a TM moderator. I still read the blogs; but rarely see a reply. This is a much better source of information, photos and interaction. Even humor, as in your crash test dummy friends :biggrin:

Yep, I vote to stay here, too. I still check the tm site on occasion, but always leave annoyed with the posters who feel the need to correct everyone's grammar (seriously??), ask about solar panels, and trot out perpetual motion/energy ideas. That site seems to attract the nut cases. (Unlike all of us, of course. -smile-)

oops..... I did not mean to stir the pot. Please forgive TMC Forum gods. I will sacrifice 4 quarts of oil and three spark plugs. I did not know that type of stuff was going on on that other forum. So scratch that.

We don't do oil and spark plugs here.

I'd have commented earlier but I've been busy sticking solar cells to the roof and attaching a windmill to the back :)

Yeah. Official TM forums went down quickly once they relaunched and were open to the public with no moderation at all. Strange they went from over-moderation to no moderation. It's much better here.
I do miss reading about perpetual motion again and again and again...

The KD-NXD505 unit in my roadster has free traffic for life. I love this head unit! I doubt Tesla will be able to create a full navigation interface/system in house. What will probably happen is they will use Google Maps to provide route guidance and a couple custom layers could be created. If the Model S does indeed use google maps to provide navigation it would be very powerful from an information standpoint, not sure how good the actual in-car interaction would be. It seems like google maps is not very well designed for in car navigation.

Google Navigator with voice input is far preferable to me than any head unit nav I've ever used. (Android phones come with a nice large button, voice command capable car mode). Plus, it's routing is often better. But then, I'm biased, and I'm not getting a Model S.

Google Navigator with voice input is far preferable to me than any head unit nav I've ever used. (Android phones come with a nice large button, voice command capable car mode). Plus, it's routing is often better. But then, I'm biased, and I'm not getting a Model S.

So the OS for the model s touch screen is android? Should be interesting to see how they implement ipod/iphone support!