Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell Tesla Motors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically I think Tesla had a hand in getting the pilot signal updated (modified) to support those highest current settings.
If you look at this chart, the 75A settings seems to be represented by 94% duty cycle, which is getting close to the error cutoff detection.
dutycycle2.jpg

Last edited:
Haha I always thought bluestar and whitestar were based off of the collar colors of the typical person who might be able to afford the car!

(blue-collar versus white-collar workers)!
My thoughts, too, from the beginning. The Dark Star is for the Black Sheep of society who do not fit into the general classifications of white collar or blue collar, and are thus thinking far enough out of the box to buy the first Tesla electric car.

Unless, of course, the Leaf can find a CHAdeMO QC to use instead of the slow J1772...
My Leaf can charge more quickly than a Roadster... If I can ever find a public CHAdeMO within range.
I don't think that's an accurate comparison if you consider the limited range of the Leaf. If I were to plug in my Roadster for a Range Mode charge and then stop when I have 47 to 73 miles of Ideal Range, then I'm sure I'd be done charging more quickly than a Leaf. Even holding out for the elusive 105 mile range would probably still be faster on a Roadster than a Leaf, provided I can find a Tesla HPC...

When I say charge more quickly I just simply mean kW into the vehicle pack.
CHAdeMO offers quicker charging than the Roadster even if you have a 75AMP HPC.
(Basically ~50kW CHAdeMO instead of ~20kW Tesla HPC.)

Theoretically you could engineer a long distance race where a Leaf beats a Roadster.
If you have CHAdeMO spaced perfectly apart (e.g.: ~50 miles) and start a full Leaf and Roadster going, after enough hops/stops the Leaf would eventually get ahead due to the faster charging. (Yes a case where the 'tortoise' could beat the 'hare' ...)

In practice, it is unlikely to find Leaf and Roadster drivers willing to do a marathon session like that, nor to find enough CHAdeMOs to actually make it a 'race' that will happen.

Also, Nissan says it is bad for the Leaf battery pack to do so many fast charges all in the same day.

So it is mostly just an "in theory" argument. In practice, the Roadster is a much more functional long distance car right now.

I don't think that's an accurate comparison if you consider the limited range of the Leaf. If I were to plug in my Roadster for a Range Mode charge and then stop when I have 47 to 73 miles of Ideal Range, then I'm sure I'd be done charging more quickly than a Leaf. Even holding out for the elusive 105 mile range would probably still be faster on a Roadster than a Leaf, provided I can find a Tesla HPC...

The Leaf pack is about half the capacity of the Roadster pack. If you drain a Roadster half way, then charge back up with the HPC that takes almost 2 hours.
With the CHAdeMO chargers for the Leaf, it can recharge the same ~25kWh in about half an hour. So better than 2x faster.

Hey TM,
Design the next Roadster as a dual platform that the Roadster and the Bluestar could share. Just an idea.

+1. Yes. I worry that the Model S platform will be too big for a nimble little Roadster.
Having a slightly smaller platform would be a good thing.
But go ahead and keep the Sport drive-train from the Model S!

+1. Yes. I worry that the Model S platform will be too big for a nimble little Roadster.
Having a slightly smaller platform would be a good thing.
But go ahead and keep the Sport drive-train from the Model S!

Hey TEG...I agree with the use of the "S" drive-train in the use of a smaller paltform that could be shared by the Roadster 3.0 and Bluestar.

You two should combine avatars. Turbine wheels that spin.