Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa 2012 Battery life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Planning to buy 2012 Tesla S Model . need to know is it good move or not ??
worried about warranty from Tesla on Battery life?
if 2012 Tesla S model Has 123k miles , Is Tesla still do warranty on 2012 Battery for 500k miles ?
Please give me your best advise for buy used Tesla S Model
Thanks
Parveen

Hi All, Planning to buy 2012 Tesla S Model . need to know is it good move or not ??
worried about warranty from Tesla on Battery life?
if 2012 Tesla S model Has 123k miles , Is Tesla still do warranty on 2012 Battery for 500k miles ?
Please give me your best advise for buy used Tesla S Model
Thanks
Parveen
Not a good idea. No battery warranty, degradation and supercharging is probably crippled.

It depends on which Model S you are looking. If it is 60Pack you wont have any warranty left on it .When was battery pack replaced last time?

I highly doubt anyone will sell Model S for 10K.Battery pack itself is worth more than that

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvo
Not if it's out of warranty with that mileage.

I dont want to get into argument. If the car has functional battery & good drive unit I think it will be worth close to 18-20K.Salvage vehicles are going for 13-14K with damage on the vehicles. It all boils down to when was battery pack/Drivetrain replaced & which battery pack car has

I dont want to get into argument. If the car has functional battery & good drive unit I think it will be worth close to 18-20K.Salvage vehicles are going for 13-14K with damage on the vehicles. It all boils down to when was battery pack/Drivetrain replaced & which battery pack car has

No need to argue. I personally wouldn't pay more than $10K for a clean Model S completely out of warranty. It's just a matter of time before you have a $20K bill for the battery or one of the many other things that can cost thousands of dollars.

It depends on which Model S you are looking. If it is 60Pack you wont have any warranty left on it .When was battery pack replaced last time?

I highly doubt anyone will sell Model S for 10K.Battery pack itself is worth more than that
There were no 60s produced in 2012.

The reason those salvage vehicles are going for that much is because of the battery. There’s no specific fail time for these batteries, you can have an old battery still going strong and a fairly new battery fail.

Wouldn’t touch an out of warranty model s with a 10 foot pole without knowing the cost of battery replacement

Battery refurbishment costs can be under $5k depending on how many modules need to be replaced.

The salvage floor for these cars is relatively high as even a pack that has "failed" will have many modules that are still usable and popular for energy storage or other projects. It may not be something you'll do yourself, or something you're interested in undertaking, but it buoys the value of the car.

It amazes me how many people believe a car is virtually worthless once its technology has been surpassed. Like people saying a car is worthless without FSD or even AP. It may not fit your criteria for a vehicle, but they are still good cars for many reasons. </rant>

Tesla told me they can replace battery components for a much lower cost, if needed. You shouldn't have to replace the whole main li-ion battery if there's a problem. You still may want to invest in a good third-party warranty plan. Some companies offer them, you just have to do your research and find a good, reliable company.

Tesla told me they can replace battery components for a much lower cost, if needed. You shouldn't have to replace the whole main li-ion battery if there's a problem. You still may want to invest in a good third-party warranty plan. Some companies offer them, you just have to do your research and find a good, reliable company.

Did they put that in writing, and specified that "lower cost"?

Reactions: Big Earl
I don’t believe there are any third party companies that provide warranties on Tesla HV batteries. Not yet anyway.

I also don’t recall any instance of Tesla replacing battery sub components or modules in customer cars - they tend to swap out the entire thing. That may well change now that we have cars out of warranty - but I’d not buy a car right now based on the word of a random guy at a service center.

if anyone have read yet on Tesla Community posts there is mentioned to replace battery between 3k - 7k so what is that actually??
is kind of an idea or real??
also i was looking something other seller website like Carguru and there is 2013 Tesla S 85 has only 83k miles on it . what do you guys think it could be last next 3 - 4 years or it would challenge after 2021 when the warranty over ? Thanks