TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Telsa App for Model 3 - Restriction Options?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by TesLou22, Jun 11, 2018.

1. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

If I pair my Model 3 with my sisters iPhone are there options to restrict what she can do/see? i.e. not have access to the trunk/frunk. Not able to see the vehicles location?

Thanks,
    ~Lou

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No. Why would you put the Tesla app on someone else’s phone?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

So they can then put their foot on the accelerator and move forward and back and maybe even turn left or right. Next.

4. Drax

Drax Member

@TesLou22 That’s what the key cards are for... If you give her access to the app, you’re essentially giving her full permissions.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Still don’t get it. You don’t put the Tesla app on someone’s phone and provide your login for someone else to drive the car. That’s what the keycard is for.

6. TesLou22

TesLou22 Member

That’s why I wanted to know if there were technological mechanisms to prevent full control. With my home automation system I can delegate functions to someone else.

I now understand those mechanisms are not currently in place although it will be interesting to see how TRN will work when it’s brought online referencing situations of this nature.

• Like x 1
  7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Actually no, the keycard is a fully functional device just like a phone.
    What is for limiting is Valet Mode. Set the passcode either in the car or app and valet mode is enabled until the passcode is entered again.

When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
    • Speed is limited to 70 mph (113 km/h).
    • Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
    • Front trunk and glovebox are locked.
    • Home and Work locations are not available in the navigation system.
    • Voice commands are disabled.
    • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is disabled
    • The Mobile Access setting is disabled.
    • HomeLink (if applicable in your market region) is not accessible.
    • Driver Profiles are not accessible.
    • The touchscreen does not display the list of keys that can access Model 3 (see Managing Keys on page 7).
    • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model 3 is in Valet mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices.

• Informative x 3
  8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

yep - sounds just like Valet mode.
    Easier to ask what problem you're trying to solve :)
    Putting the app on somebody else phone means their phone always has a connection to your car - not a good idea.
    Its designed for family, co-owners etc. Not designed for someone you want to let have a quick drive.

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Not quite. It doesn't let you control it remotely or see where it is.