Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa firmware 34.1 and Android 8.1.0 have fixed my phone key!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previous to these two updates my phone as a key was only working about 10% - 20% of the time. Now, I'm over 90%! Very happy now! This was my biggest annoyance with the Model 3.

I noticed a distinct improvement after 34.1 then came Android 8.1.0 a couple days ago now my problems seems to be behind me. My phone is a Samsung J7.

Has anyone seen this?

Previous to these two updates my phone as a key was only working about 10% - 20% of the time. Now, I'm over 90%! Very happy now! This was my biggest annoyance with the Model 3.

I noticed a distinct improvement after 34.1 then came Android 8.1.0 a couple days ago now my problems seems to be behind me. My phone is a Samsung J7.

Has anyone seen this?
I haven't had any phone as a key issue since the app updated with the constant notification on my phone.

I also have no issues with the phone key now. Compared to when I first got the car. Although I hide the constant notification since I didn't need that there. Luckily in Android you can permanently hide notifications (and Tesla set this is under a different notification group) so it doesn't affect your charging started notifications etc..

Same here - Galaxy S8. Was working fairly well before, but since the app notification update had not had a single instance where it has not worked. I don't like my phone to be bogged down with notifications but have decided to allow that as I can see the benefit of it making the phone key work 100% of the time.

Same here - Galaxy S8. Was working fairly well before, but since the app notification update had not had a single instance where it has not worked. I don't like my phone to be bogged down with notifications but have decided to allow that as I can see the benefit of it making the phone key work 100% of the time.
I like the constant notification. Especially being able to access the controls for frunk, trunk, and lock/unlock without having to wait for the app to open and wake up the car.

Reactions: rtanov
I just read this: "Android 8.1 also comes a plethora of bug fixes to improve Android auto Bluetooth connectivity..." That probably explains why the phone key is so much better now.
I'm still on Android 8.0 and it's working great.

If I could just remember to keep my phone charged, it would work a lot better.
As is, I'm resigned to using the card. Perhaps I'll buy the FOB when it comes out if it is not too expensive.
Not sure what you mean - you would remember to put a key fob in your pocket but not charge your phone.

I'm failing 10/10 to unlock my car with the latest firmware and app. It only unlocks my car if I wake up my Samsung S9+ by hitting the home button. I finally gave up and granted access to my iPhone 8+. Seems like Android doesn't play nicely with Tesla.

As for summon, both phones fail 9/10 when trying to summon.