Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa puts Australia last...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying it's wholly their fault (our Government doesn't help), but they do put us last.

1. We don't have the homelink device (but we don't get a discount either - we pay for it);

2. We don't get a browser (again no discount - yes it is software, but we still pay for other software upgrades);

3. We don't get On Ramp to Off Ramp Autopilot (but paid full money for self driving tech);

4. We don't get a full Summons feature (but no discount on that one either... I know the Aust govt is to blame here);

5. We haven't got Model 3 yet;

6. Were otherwise last (very last) to get RHD cars especially the Duel motor ones.

I am sure there are other examples and no doubt there will be many more in the future. Perhaps we are just a small market. Perhaps we don't make as much noise as China. Perhaps it's as Paul Keeting described our position in the world.

But I must admit that number #3 above really stinks. They are never late in charging Australia at the same time as the rest of the world. And we don't get interest on those monies either. With all these advancements they are making in self-driving, I believe us Aussies only get the self-funding part of the bargain.

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tesla fan through and through - and I am prepared to duck when the rotten tomatoes are hurled in my direction. But I did pay for full self driving tech and I just don't see it coming in the lifetime of my Australian Tesla...

• Disagree
Reactions: youmi and ICUDoc
I agree with some of your individual points @ZTrekus, there's a couple of items you mention that I believe Tesla could have addressed by now, on the other hand I look at the many positives that far outweigh the items we miss out on. Firstly I look at how Australia received cars almost 4 years ago before some other countries with a possibly bigger market for $120k-$300k cars, some of those countries still don't have the opportunity to purchase one even today. Secondly I look at the product, picture this scene from over 3 years ago a few weeks after taking delivery- I'm driving home late evening, driving a model S that's smooth and peaceful but has instant brutal power at any time, so easy to drive, easy to understand the systems, and I'm thinking this car doesn't have any special secret sauce, it's just smart engineering making full use of the available technolodgy, and then I'm thinking Tesla will only be King of the road for the next 12-18 months until the big guys copy this, add some improvements and catch up, now over 3 years later they haven't caught up, the gap has widened, the big guys can't get battery supplies, they have nothing to match the Supercharging network, their onboard chargers are too small, they haven't mastered the skateboard chassis freeing up storage space, and by all reports their struggling to match the energy efficiency of Tesla cars, the products the "big guys" keep bragging about are a joke, and until they ever catch up ZTrekus you're driving the King of the road.

Many companies (in any industry) don't even bother coming to Australia at all. I think for a RHD country of our large area (harder to service) and low population (fewer sales) - not to mention the lack of incentives making EVs comparatively more expensive - we are lucky they are here at all.

Still nothing in Russia, India, Brazil, South Africa - not to mention superchargers in much of Eastern Europe.

Reactions: Candleflame
Telsa puts Australia last...

I think the Kiwis would disagree.

But I did pay for full self driving tech and I just don't see it coming in the lifetime of my Australian Tesla...

I didn't pay because, in my view, we won't see it in the lifetime of any Tesla with the current hardware, and I don't see "free" retrofits happening for those who paid -- only a class action. But I hope I'm proved wrong and I will gladly pay whatever the cost when I can get n the back of my Tesla and it drives me home. That won't happen, not based on geography -- but rather the lack of redundancy for the current hardware that will likely make regulators balk -- again only in my view -- and I've been wrong lots and hope to be wrong again.

Reactions: skitown
I'm not saying it's wholly their fault (our Government doesn't help), but they do put us last.

1. We don't have the homelink device (but we don't get a discount either - we pay for it);

2. We don't get a browser (again no discount - yes it is software, but we still pay for other software upgrades);

3. We don't get On Ramp to Off Ramp Autopilot (but paid full money for self driving tech);

4. We don't get a full Summons feature (but no discount on that one either... I know the Aust govt is to blame here);

6. Were otherwise last (very last) to get RHD cars especially the Duel motor ones.

I am sure there are other examples and no doubt there will be many more in the future. Perhaps we are just a small market. Perhaps we don't make as much noise as China. Perhaps it's as Paul Keeting described our position in the world.

But I must admit that number #3 above really stinks. They are never late in charging Australia at the same time as the rest of the world. And we don't get interest on those monies either. With all these advancements they are making in self-driving, I believe us Aussies only get the self-funding part of the bargain.

---

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tesla fan through and through - and I am prepared to duck when the rotten tomatoes are hurled in my direction. But I did pay for full self driving tech and I just don't see it coming in the lifetime of my Australian Tesla...
Well you should come to Adelaide. We’ve only just got a 4 station supercharger and no publically accessible service centre yet (although that might be a positive).
I’ve learnt to accept that tesla US have no urgency for australians, but at least Elon has stopped saying ‘worlwide release’ and is instead saying ‘north american release’. So I think when I realised that the CEO of tesla didnt realise there are actually countries beyond his own, it all started to make sense.

Personally very few of these bug me. Homelink would be nice (or at least take it off my dashboard you tease!).

What I would like to see (my list is short):
  • Mobile data module upgrade availability (to LTE - available in USA)
  • Online store for accessories
That's it really :)

Shane.

Personally very few of these bug me. Homelink would be nice (or at least take it off my dashboard you tease!).

What I would like to see (my list is short):
  • Mobile data module upgrade availability (to LTE - available in USA)
  • Online store for accessories
That's it really :)

Shane.

I found LTE in USA to be slower than 3G here; hence a waste of time.

See Vehicle Upgrades & Accessories

Problem(s) solved.

Many companies (in any industry) don't even bother coming to Australia at all. I think for a RHD country of our large area (harder to service) and low population (fewer sales) - not to mention the lack of incentives making EVs comparatively more expensive - we are lucky they are here at all.

Still nothing in Russia, India, Brazil, South Africa - not to mention superchargers in much of Eastern Europe.

pretty much this. Australia is not a car country. It is expensive to service and buy cars here, there are no EV incentives apart from slightly reduced stamp duty, there are extra taxes which penalized EVs as they are more expensive to buy but cheaper to maintain/keep their value better and to round that off theres only 20 million people here.

With the way the system works Australia could easily become like Norway with most new cars being electric by removing stamp duty, reducing rego and luxury tax from EVs but i guess that is just not wanted.

We can be lucky Tesla is bringing the Model 3 to Aus at roughly the same time as the UK market.

A: Homelink doesn't work in Australia with any manufacturer. The frequency it works on is not a public part of the spectrum, using it would be breaking the law. You can't even import homelink garage door controllers.

A: We don't get the browser, there is no reason why we don't, as connected Mercedes and BMWs have browsers. It's not a legal issue that we know of. We don't pay for software updates.

A: No one outside of the USA does, it needs to be localised, and it will come in the near future.

A: The Australian government is not to blame. BMWs have their own keyfob activated version of Summon. For some reason, Tesla restricts this in Australia, while BMW does not.

A: No countries outside of North America have the Model 3. Not even other left hand drive markets. They haven't even built a RHD car yet; and why would they, they can't keep up with local demand yet.

A: The dual motor cars were released here at the same times as other markets. I don't think you want a car with duel motors, as it would end up sitting still in a cloud of smoke.

A: Aussies love to whinge about *sugar*. Paul Keating would whinge about people spelling his name incorrectly.

A: I don't even know what you are saying here.

---

A: I don't think you paid for anything.