Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa really doesn't want people to come to their service center for service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my 2016 model X served for 3 year service in Palo Alto service center and the experience is really below my expectation:
  • Nothing was communicated regarding what has been done in the service.
  • No loan car was provided, only uber credit, per new policy.
  • Car was not cleaned, per new policy.
  • Expressed the concern about the potential issue with fender, no action was taken.
  • They recently changed the service center close time from 6PM to 5PM, no notice was given.

I guess I probably should have just cancelled the service package and pay someone else to do it.

The Fairfax, VA service center is also attempting to remove all human contact with service advisors. You can’t reach them by phone before or during service. You have to explain everything that’s wrong in 250 characters in the mobile app and hope they translate that correctly into the service appointment agreement. You’re emailed the agreement to sign from an anonymous account. They don’t reply to the text messages that state you can’t change the service agreement.

And here’s the new kicker... they now send a text message the day before your service telling you not to attempt to talk to a service advisor when you arrive. The text instructs you to park in a numbered spot, drop your key in the drop bin, and walk away. They specifically tell you not to talk to the service advisors.

In my opinion, Tesla is going to show a very high customer churn rate over the next few years. There just no way customers who need service are going to think this is ok.

The Fairfax, VA service center is also attempting to remove all human contact with service advisors. You can’t reach them by phone before or during service. You have to explain everything that’s wrong in 250 characters in the mobile app and hope they translate that correctly into the service appointment agreement. You’re emailed the agreement to sign from an anonymous account. They don’t reply to the text messages that state you can’t change the service agreement.

And here’s the new kicker... they now send a text message the day before your service telling you not to attempt to talk to a service advisor when you arrive. The text instructs you to park in a numbered spot, drop your key in the drop bin, and walk away. They specifically tell you not to talk to the service advisors.

In my opinion, Tesla is going to show a very high customer churn rate over the next few years. There just no way customers who need service are going to think this is ok.
Exactly, because if there were few if any complaints about issues not being fixed/needing multiple follow-up appointments then they'd have a valid argument for the "no contact w/service advisor" policy but that is almost the complete opposite that happens in many cases. Instead, Tesla needs to realize that hands-off customer service just won't work, esp. people coming from that model...which is EVERYONE. Instead, it comes off as if they don't value your time, and know more than you.

Reactions: cwerdna

W...T...F. Are you serious? Wow, just wow. When you think service can’t get even more crappy, it actually does.

Reactions: cfactor and caps04
I guess I probably should have just cancelled the service package and pay someone else to do it.

They did change their recommended schedule service to a minimum. It doesn't even tell you to change brake fluid.. just test them for contamination. When you take your car in for the annual service, do they even do all the things listed in the original contract? You did say "nothing was communicated regarding what has been done in the service".. maybe they are following the new guideline...

EDIT: I found the original contract and 3rd year maintenance is basically rotating tires and changing battery in your key fob and changing your wiper blade. It is the 4th year you have to watch out for to see if they actually do everything on the original list. For example, changing battery coolant is no longer even a service item.....

Tesla_Model_S-X_Maintenance_Plans.jpg

Last edited:
...I was told prior to my Year 2 appointment to not come in because nothing is going to be done until Year 4.

That's not even in compliance with new guideline:

Cabin Air Filter every 2 years

Brake Fluid Test: every 2 years

Tire Rotation, Balance, Wheel Alignment: Every 10,000-12,000 miles.

If I am not mistaken, because Model X has staggered tires and automatic lowering air suspension, Wheel Alignment is very important for tire tread longevity.

In Visalia, Discount Tire, America's Tire both don't do Tesla Wheel Alignment. Pepboys does but only for the S, and not the X. They said they don't have the money to buy the software to do the X.

Just had my 2016 model X served for 3 year service in Palo Alto service center and the experience is really below my expectation:
  • Expressed the concern about the potential issue with fender, no action was taken.
  • They recently changed the service center close time from 6PM to 5PM, no notice was given.

This is largely a CA issue/regional. I had my car serviced this week. I was given communication updates everyday, provided a loaner car, car was going to be cleaned (but I declined), all issues were addressed.

And here’s the new kicker... they now send a text message the day before your service telling you not to attempt to talk to a service advisor when you arrive. The text instructs you to park in a numbered spot, drop your key in the drop bin, and walk away. They specifically tell you not to talk to the service advisors..

This is a first. Please send screenshots of this. Have you tried talking to an SA? Do they yell at you to leave? Or say "No talking!"

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
@Need how old is this service menu? I was told prior to my Year 2 appointment to not come in because nothing is going to be done until Year 4.

That was the old service plan at Tesla site when I looked at it early 2018. I didn't buy the service plan because it was not much of a saving especially at year 1 and year 3. You can skip most of those or do them yourself. My tire center here rotate tires for free (but the kicker is that you can't rotate Model X tires as they are different sizes front and back!). I replaced my 2 key fobs batteries myself for like $10 shipped from Amazon (take about 2 min). Have not replaced wiper blade yet (SoCal), but do they really want to charge $550 for those 2 years? I figured if I just do year 2 and 4, it would be only about $1600 which is cheaper than the prepaid plan.

Last edited:
OP may be right, but I had this experience, this week:

Before 50k miles, I had Ranger diagnose "blindside detection limited" problem. He calibrated cameras, it did not help as the problem was intermittent 50/50 of the time. Then @52kmiles, Fremont SC looked into it. Originally an issue prevailed but they found new installed camera part was defective. They replaced again, and all good. Had Uber credit one day and loaner MX P90D on second day. And the records showed the problem was b4 warranty end, and TM agreed.

A guy named "Jack" in Fremont SC, is the man!

Reactions: jboy210
Tesla Service is deteriorating in Ohio as well. As an early adopter for both their Model S and X, I became accustomed to the impeccable service Tesla Cincinnati offered. Even though we still have loaner access, the customer experience recently has really left me in a negative place. I get better customer service/experience at my Nissan dealership (kids car).

Really disappointing...hope now that profits are sustainable (I hope), they reinvest services back into the service support.

Reactions: VikH and rjdoc74

Just when you think service cant get any worse, Tesla figures out a way to make it worse.

That was the old service plan at Tesla site when I looked at it early 2018. I didn't buy the service plan because it was not much of a saving especially at year 1 and year 3. You can skip most of those or do them yourself. My tire center here rotate tires for free (but the kicker is that you can't rotate Model X tires as they are different sizes front and back!). I replaced my 2 key fobs batteries myself for like $10 shipped from Amazon (take about 2 min). Have not replaced wiper blade yet (SoCal), but do they really want to charge $550 for those 2 years? I figured if I just do year 2 and 4, it would be only about $1600 which is cheaper than the prepaid plan.

FWIW, I had them replace the wiper blades, $100 or so for blades and labor. Pricey, but much better than $550.

I wonder what's next. Restraining orders? ;)

We have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow and haven't received the above text yet. This is the first I've heard of it. I wonder if it is just your service center or individual service advisor.

• Funny
Reactions: VikH
Troubling for sure, but not the norm (based on my experiences).

One thought...with all the legal wrestling in Virginia between the Virginia Auto Dealer Association and Tesla not being allowed to open stores, etc. perhaps Tesla is trying to sidestep a legal hurdle by removing human interaction. Perhaps this is just Tesla being creative with their interpretation of the language in the law.

• Disagree
Reactions: zzsf and jboy210

WOW! This is so different from what I experience at my SC. I hope that this is the exception and not the rule.

Reactions: David29