Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa Tracker on EV Trip Planner Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on EV Trip Planner's website this morning and noticed they are asking for folks to allow them to see where you drive so they can create more accurate calculations. Here is the link: EV Trip Planner

My questions:
1. Has anyone signed up with the app?
2. Is the app causing a lot of drain on the battery when not plugged in?
3. Any concerns about privacy?

Thanks!

I use teslalog.com to track my car and it seems like this is using the same method to collect data. I believe the app is connected to the tesla.com servers, not the car directly. If you have the car set to "Connected" in the Settings on the car, you are already transmitting data to the Tesla servers and any electricity usage (it is probably insignificant, if not practically zero) is already being consumed.

You should always be concerned about privacy, you are giving the same access to evtripplanner.com that you have yourself in your smartphone Tesla app. That means that you are providing them with your car's exact location, and the ability to unlock, start the car, etc. It's your choice to trust teslalog.com, teslafi.com, evtripplanner.com or any other website, many people do. Just do it knowingly.

I use teslalog.com to track my car and it seems like this is using the same method to collect data. I believe the app is connected to the tesla.com servers, not the car directly. If you have the car set to "Connected" in the Settings on the car, you are already transmitting data to the Tesla servers and any electricity usage (it is probably insignificant, if not practically zero) is already being consumed.

You should always be concerned about privacy, you are giving the same access to evtripplanner.com that you have yourself in your smartphone Tesla app. That means that you are providing them with your car's exact location, and the ability to unlock, start the car, etc. It's your choice to trust teslalog.com, teslafi.com, evtripplanner.com or any other website, many people do. Just do it knowingly.

The vampire drain of leaving Teslalog (and EV Tripplanner) on is actually fairly significant. It causes your car to be "on" 24/7 and won't go in to sleep mode. If you measure your vampire drain without those apps querying the car constantly (presumably via Teslas servers), your vampire drain will be the expected ~2is miles a day. With Teslalog, I get about 6 - 8ish miles a day drain.