Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa Wall Chargers at Natick Mall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Well, this was a surprise. In addition to the Superchargers being installed at Shopper's World, Tesla is installing 12 Tesla Wall Chargers in the Natick Mall parking garage that's under Nordstrom's. I *think* it's Lot D....? It's the same parking garage that has the auto detailing company named "Car Spa Center".

They're not open yet, but it looks like it won't be long. Here's some pictures.
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0369.JPG
IMG_0370.JPG

In addition, it looks like the Tesla store is moving to a new location in the Mall. (I didn't think to take pictures of the new spot and I forget now exactly where it is in the mall.)

I wonder if they are removing their existing wall chargers from the parking garage near where Wegman's will be opening and just putting these in this new location.

Is the new charger location closer (relatively) to the new Tesla store location? When I was there in September doing my test drive / purchase, they would always go out to get the car for the test drive and meet us at a nearby mall entrance. It would also make sense to move the chargers away from Wegmans, as their lot will undoubtedly be packed and charger's ICE'd frequently.

Is the new charger location closer (relatively) to the new Tesla store location? When I was there in September doing my test drive / purchase, they would always go out to get the car for the test drive and meet us at a nearby mall entrance. It would also make sense to move the chargers away from Wegmans, as their lot will undoubtedly be packed and charger's ICE'd frequently.
The old charging spots were hard to get to. It's unlikely for them to get ICE'd unless the garage filled.

Back when that was a JC Penney, they used to bring people out through Penney's to go for a test drive. It's harder to get there now that they can't cut through the closed/under construction store. I can see them wanting a location closer to parking.

I was back at the mall and the new Tesla store location is one store away from Nordstrom's, fairly close the Apple and Microsoft stores. I think it's a better location than where they are now. And I think it's a bit bigger, too. More room to show off the Model 3!

And the new chargers are much closer to the new store's location. However I think ICE'ing could be a real problem. I hope I'm wrong.

I was at the mall last night and noticed that the chargers appear to be working. There were several MSs and MXs there charging. But there were also cones in front of some of the spaces. So, those may have been test drive/store vehicles only that were charging. I assume they're going to want to paint the parking spaces' pavement to indicate Tesla Only parking. They haven't done that yet. Perhaps that's why the cones were still there......?

So, you may nor may not be able to use them yet. I didn't try since I didn't need to charge and was only there for a quick errand.

I was there last night and charged during dinner. I didn't have to move a cone.
This afternoon we went back to the mall and I charged there again, moving a cone and replacing it when done.
My brother plugged it in (and didn't do a good job I was only charging at 16A!). I re-plugged it in
as we were leaving and I got the full 40A.

I didn't stop by the store today but they told him that they expect all spots to be used by their cars!

I was there last night and charged during dinner.

:) I probably saw your car there, since I was there at dinner time also.

I didn't stop by the store today but they told him that they expect all spots to be used by their cars!

That would be unfortunate if that's the case. I'm willing to bet they'd move a car so you could charge if you asked them. They've done that for me in the past at their old chargers near the Wegman's garage.

I was at the mall last night and noticed that the chargers appear to be working. There were several MSs and MXs there charging. But there were also cones in front of some of the spaces. So, those may have been test drive/store vehicles only that were charging. I assume they're going to want to paint the parking spaces' pavement to indicate Tesla Only parking. They haven't done that yet. Perhaps that's why the cones were still there......?

Just for reference, there have always been cones in the two parking spaces in front of the Chargepoint station at the top of the parking structure by the food court. As far as I can tell, their only purpose is to help prevent those two spots from being ICE'd. EV drivers who want to use the station simply move one of the cones before parking, and then replace it when they're done. Perhaps the mall has decided to take the same approach with the Tesla wall chargers?

• Informative
Reactions: theLuggage
I was at the Mall today and one of the spots didn't have a cone in front of it, so I stopped and charged. I stopped by the store and they confirmed what EdA said. The spots are not supposed to be open to the public due to some Natick Mall constraints. But Tesla hopes to change that and make them available. So, they said they didn't mind people using them as long as they put the cones back in place after. He said if they couldn't change the Mall owner's mind, at some point they may have to stop allowing the public to use them. And he said they don't intend to make them available on the Supercharger map in the car.

He also said the Shopper's World Superchargers will be open soon, but wasn't more specific than that.

Does anyone know the max current from the new wall connectors (I have dual chargers, so access to the full 80A is a plus)? Also, what's the status of the old wall connectors/outlets by Penney's/Wegman's? I'm pretty sure the original 2 were 80A.

I'm going to be in the area at some point (before the supercharger is done) and I'd like to pick up some electrons while I'm there.

The "Wegman's chargers" are gone but the NEMA 14-50's were still there, I think still active, not sure.
There are 2 J1772 chargers in the Sears garage (top level? check Plugshare), I've never charged there.

• Helpful
Reactions: tga
The "Wegman's chargers" are gone but the NEMA 14-50's were still there, I think still active, not sure.
There are 2 J1772 chargers in the Sears garage (top level? check Plugshare), I've never charged there.
Thanks. I'll probably have dinner at John Harvard's (it was my old "stomping ground" before I moved from Framingham in '05), so the SC would be ideal. I'll probably plug in at the Natick Mall and walk over - I should be able to top off during dinner. There are also 4 Chargepoints at the Logan Express garage, but it's pay parking and slower charging.

Yup, two (free) Chargepoint J1772s on the top level of the Sears garage, right next to the bridge to the food court. I use them periodically. As I mentioned above, usually the spots are blocked off with traffic cones, so you just need to move one to the side prior to parking and replace it when you leave.

I was just at the Natick Mall to return something. There was one spot at the end of Tesla Row with a cone missing... so I feigned ignorance and parked next to this blue beauty. :)

NatickMallM3.jpg

Note: this Model 3 has a Tesla business card underneath the VIN plate, which I interpret as an invitation: "Please find me in the Tesla Store and ask me about my car!"

This car (and a few other Teslas) were all plugged in and charging, so yes, as EdA mentioned above, the wall connectors are definitely active.