Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa will need to expand size of some stores

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BluestarE3

Apr 2, 2016
Norcal
There are already threads about Tesla's need to add more sales and service locations to accommodate the huge influx of Model 3s. Another consideration is their need to increase their store floor space in order to display a Model 3. My local store (located within a mall) currently has a Model S and a "skateboard" on the floor. They may be able to squeeze in a Model X once they get a display model. There's no way they can comfortably display a Model 3 as well in their current store space. So, in addition to building more locations in the next couple of years, they'll need to scout for new locations for some of their existing stores.

The store in Pittsburgh is currently just a kiosk in the mall.
1-IMG_7259.JPG

They have ~8 cars in the parking lot for test drives.
But there are plans to open a store location soon.
Ross Park Mall Kiosk Grows Into STORE

Malls are struggling so much, many have a lot of empty storefronts, at least in this part of the country. I would think in a lot of cases they could just relocate the mall stores to a new larger storefront in the same mall. When I went to the Portland store they had two Model Ss on the floor along with the skateboard. The cars were parked diagonally across the store to take up more space. If they rearranged the cars there was plenty of room for 3 vehicles and a skateboard. They could also park one out in front of the store too.

When we were walking back to the Tesla store from the test drive, I noted the local Lexus dealer had parked a big Lexus SUV right along our route in the middle in between kiosks. It did start a discussion about color offerings because I liked the shade of blue, but I had no interest in the car.

Malls are struggling so much, many have a lot of empty storefronts, at least in this part of the country. I would think in a lot of cases they could just relocate the mall stores to a new larger storefront in the same mall.
Agree with this.

Also they could rotate the cars around as to which are in the store and just not have every single one in the store at the same time. The more important thing I think is to have cars out in the parking lot or wherever that you can actually test drive. If you go in a car dealership, I'm pretty sure most don't have space to have every single model that they sell on display inside. But you can go out in the lot and look at all the models, so it's not a big deal.

The Fort Worth store, I don't know if you can call it a store as nothing is sold there, only has room for an S and a little room to walk around it on each side with the wheels, paint displays and interior options on the wall. No room for a skateboard, X or 3.

The Fort Worth store, I don't know if you can call it a store as nothing is sold there, only has room for an S and a little room to walk around it on each side with the wheels, paint displays and interior options on the wall. No room for a skateboard, X or 3.

With that particular store, there are six charging spots in the parking lot directly across from the store. Currently there are at least three Model S demonstrator cars kept there. It's possible an X and eventually a 3 could be substituted for two of the current S demonstrators, but I'm only guessing at this point.

It's hard to say. I imagine they could leave some of their mall locations and just choose to show a 3 there. However, I imagine in the future you will see more full service "dealerships" like these (in states that allow them, anyway):

Tesla Sunnyvale:
2016-04-05.jpg

Tesla Dublin:
o.jpg

They seem to have gone in the opposite direction with the store in The Village at Corte Madera. When they first opened there a couple of years ago, they had two Model S's and a skateboard. Later, they moved the store to the other end of the mall (better location because it's across from the Apple store?) and, although the width of the storefront seems the same, the depth seems shallower and they only display a single Model S and the skateboard. The local service center is in a separate location in San Rafael.

With the opening of their flagship San Francisco store/service center later this year, they may feel less need or incentive to expand their presence in the North Bay in order to serve the immediate Bay Area?

img_1350.jpg

i actually like the mall location of Tesla showrooms. no need to advertise to tvs or anything. the traffic alone is a good advertisement for the company. however, I think they should start showcasing the newer cars, MX and M3 and rotate it every month / quarter to keep the excitement going.

btw, re-reading my old post I made it sound like I was suggesting they get rid of their mall stores. What I'm saying is that the mall stores can stay the way they are, even if they are only showing one car. Their goal is for people to see the cars and become familiar with Tesla. The full size dealerships will be for people more serious about buying (as well as delivering cars, service and showing CPO/inventory cars).

btw, re-reading my old post I made it sound like I was suggesting they get rid of their mall stores. What I'm saying is that the mall stores can stay the way they are, even if they are only showing one car. Their goal is for people to see the cars and become familiar with Tesla. The full size dealerships will be for people more serious about buying (as well as delivering cars, service and showing CPO/inventory cars).
Yes, this probably would make the most sense. Test drive cars of various models would still be available in the mall parking lot, but the showcased vehicle in the store or kiosk would be the latest model or iteration.

I agree with you, except do not agree with your use of the word "dealerships", since Tesla has no dealers. Tesla has Tesla-owned showrooms which may or may not be in the same location as a Tesla Service Center or Delivery Center.

In this instance, semantics are important.

I agree with you, except do not agree with your use of the word "dealerships", since Tesla has no dealers. Tesla has Tesla-owned showrooms which may or may not be in the same location as a Tesla Service Center or Delivery Center.

In this instance, semantics are important.

The terminology is a actually vague. While Tesla does not have "dealers", all of it's California stores are fully licensed dealerships under California law (which doesn't prevent company owned dealerships as long as they aren't within 10 miles of a franchised dealership for the same line of cars).

In any event, we can call them something on the lines of "Dealership style locations"? They are usually old car dealerships purchased by Tesla.

I call them SvC/DCs, which is almost inclusive of the CPO component. However, locations such as Blue Ash, OH and I think Buena Park, CA (both converted former automotive properties) will also sell the odd new Tesla (not inventory cars - new as in less than 20 miles driven).

The term dealership, aside from rhyming with stealership, has such a negative connotation that I would prefer to not use it at all in conjunction with anything Tesla - in favor of the more descriptive terms/acronyms above.