Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temp Control now goes from 81 to HI - no 82, 83, 84, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me, or does anyone else find this very annoying? Now that the weather is turning cold, I like to set my temp to 84-86 to warm up and stay warm and then gradually reduce the temp. But with the 8.0 update, I now only have the choice of 81 or HI. HI is too hot and 81 is too cold.

This also has the side effect of confusing the iOS app, as if I attempt to select 83, 84, 85, 86 or HI in the app, it resets to 82, which I think is the new "HI" as far as it knows.

Why was this range removed, and is there any way to get it back?

Thanks.

I like to set my temp to 84-86 to warm up and stay warm and then gradually reduce the temp.
By setting the temperature at a higher setpoint than your desired in cabin temperature, you're turning on the heater, and turning the fans on higher than they would have been on before (at least that's how I noticed it works with cooling)

As a workaround in 8.0, you can set it to 81F and also set the fans to 11. Yes, not ideal, but it's something.

By setting the temperature at a higher setpoint than your desired in cabin temperature, you're turning on the heater, and turning the fans on higher than they would have been on before (at least that's how I noticed it works with cooling)

Yes, that is exactly what I want, but can no longer do. Now I have to set it to HI to achieve the same thing, and I can no longer back off the temp as gradually as the cabin warms up.

As a workaround in 8.0, you can set it to 81F and also set the fans to 11. Yes, not ideal, but it's something.

But that's the thing, I don't want a stronger blast of cooler (e.g. 81) temperature, I want a lower blast of warmer (e.g. 85) temperature. I can't do that any longer with 8.0.

And yes, some of us like the temps between 81 and HI. I know the majority of you like it at 67, but some of us like it very warm (82 - 86) but not scorching (HI).

Thanks.

But that's the thing, I don't want a stronger blast of cooler (e.g. 81) temperature, I want a lower blast of warmer (e.g. 85) temperature. I can't do that any longer with 8.0.
I'll wait for someone smarter than me to chime in, but if the cars system works like your house, then what you're experiencing is a placebo effect.

When you come home and turn on the heat to 90F, it's not going to heat up your house faster than if you set it to 85F. Both of them will blow heat at full blast. Two differences: The 90F might set your fan speed faster than the 85F and the 90F will turn off later (wait for the temp to be higher).
The heater doesn't have an 81F setting vs. an 82F setting. It's not blowing different temperature air at you.

Again, this is all speculation based on the above "if". You can ask Ingineer, he should know the specs on the Tesla heating system.

At the 81 setting, the car will blow cooler air, at the same fan setting, than at 84. It is not a placebo effect, and it's not that the car is generating more or less heat to blow, it's that the car starts blowing cooler, unwarmed (or cooled) air (i.e. kinda like turning on the cold water tap while the warm water tap is running). It's that mix of cold and warm air, above 81 degrees, that I have lost refined control over.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
At the 81 setting, the car will blow cooler air, at the same fan setting, than at 84.

I'd like to hear from knowledgable experts, too, but it doesn't seem to me that that necessarily follows. The car is trying to achieve the set cabin temperature. So if--say--the cabin air is at 50 degrees, I would think that the car would provide maximally heated air, whether you set to 81 or 84, at least until the actual temp gets closer to the setpoint.

I think that's what the previous poster meant about placebo effect.

I'm not sure how the Tesla controllers are set up. Simple systems (including the furnace used as an example) will blow hot until they see the target temperature at the sensor and then shut down (or blow air at the target temperature.)

More sophisticated systems will start reducing the output temperature somewhat before they reach the target, to prevent overshooting. It still shouldn't matter for the initial heatup unless the car is already fairly close to the target temperature, but it might affect the curve as it approaches.

Is there a reason you don't just set to "High" and manually set a fan speed you're happy with until it gets into the range you wanted? It seems like that would accomplish your goal in much the same way as the method you described...

I'm not saying that I want the car to be exactly 84 degrees Fahrenheit, what I'm saying is that at the 81 setting the car will start to settle into a temperature that is too cold at times for what I want, and if I set it to HI, even at a very low fan setting, the hottest possible air is still coming out of the vents. Before, at the 84 setting, the car settled in at a temperature that I prefer when it's cold outside and I have a chill. I didn't have to fiddle with the temp control, up and down, getting too cool or too hot. It hovered at my preferred heat. Setting it to HI, even at the lowest fan setting, or 81 at the highest, does not sustain the temperature I want to be at. Three days ago I was able to accomplish that. Today I am not.

I'm not sure how the Tesla controllers are set up. Simple systems (including the furnace used as an example) will blow hot until they see the target temperature at the sensor and then shut down (or blow air at the target temperature.)

More sophisticated systems will start reducing the output temperature somewhat before they reach the target, to prevent overshooting. It still shouldn't matter for the initial heatup unless the car is already fairly close to the target temperature, but it might affect the curve as it approaches.

Is there a reason you don't just set to "High" and manually set a fan speed you're happy with until it gets into the range you wanted? It seems like that would accomplish your goal in much the same way as the method you described...
Yep, that was what I was alluding to a few posts up.

I ran a very unscientific experiment, and tried it out with cooling (it's too warm here for heating). Setting a FIXED fan speed of 4, and turning "Auto" off from everything - the air blowing out of the vents at LO feels the same as at 63 which feels the same as at 67. (I didn't go higher than that).

I tried to do it with heating, but again, the heat doesn't really kick in (it blows mild air, not hot, it's 70F outside).