TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Temp gauges/lights?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I've heard people talking about blue, yellow, red lights and maybe other temp indicators? I haven't yet seen anything like that with my car. The roadster is #107, could it have missed out on some updates?

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

The temp gauges are shown on the VDS on a separate "page" you have to scroll to. The page sequence is also customizable, so it is possible that page was turned off on your car. Look for Driving Screens under the settings to play with this.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Look on the VDS. One of the screens is a temp readout.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I personally take the info with these gauges as a ballpark figure to see if anything drastically abnormal is happening. There are no numerical values associated to the bars which is silly. Its like having a heart rate monitor that fails to give you a numerical value to the heart rate, but rather, just dumb bars with no value to let you know you're doing ok and not dying. How can a marathon runner or sports enthusiastic use bars to get any clear dynamic idea on their health or heart condition when training or performing in an event? In my opinion you can't. The Roadster is a pure sports car, not a Cadillac, so give me numerical values damit!!!

The OVMS setup is nice, I can see how many degrees f or c the PEM, Motor, and Battery are running at. Thank goodness for creative and tactical opensource development!

5. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

#5 Slackjaw, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    Agreed - but, just FYI, if you put the Roadster VDS in "debug mode" you get the temperatures in actual degrees. A friend put my car in debug mode a while ago and the numerical temps were the only advantage I could see, but there may be other cool things which appear. There were a lot of annoying warnings which are not triggered under normal circumstances, along the lines of "fan X is spinning ever-so-slightly slower than it should be". Getting into debug mode is OT, and I don't know the 4-digit code.

Edit: As discussed over here in this thread, you may not see numerical temperatures even in Debug Mode on an early Roadster like yours.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Thanks Slackjaw, I have the 1.5 and always wondered why I couldn't display the numbers in debug (wondering if it was just me). My guess is that they didn't check it into the firmware source code tree for the 1.5s and was used to help further develop and monitor the Roadsters components for the 2.x production.