Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temperature control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can add another voice to those seeing issues. I was charging in my garage last night (about 50-55 degF ambient temperature), and the touchscreen temperature was reporting 75 degF. Perhaps related to the climate control issues.

I was charging 240V@40A, so wonder if the sensor is near some hardware that's getting warm...

I have also noted poor performance in temperature modulation.

Yesterday I took a long drive (it's below freezing here) and I set the heat at 70 in AUTO mode. after about ten minutes, the cabin was still cold, so I increased the setting to 72. And so on, every six or seven minutes, until I got over 80 before I noticed any response in terms of air coming out of the vents or the temperature of the venting air. Then, the fan speed increased, and I got a lot of noise, but not much heat.

Next, I turned the A/C OFF. That's when I started to get noticeable heating of the cabin.

Last week I tried a similar experiment and on one of the temp increases, the air started blowing from the windshield for about five minutes then stopped. That was actually helpful, because I have noticed that in extreme cold, their is cold radiating down from the pano roof, not exactly a draft, but a noticeable chill on the top of your head.

I will experiment some more, but so far I would have to say that the heating system is at best, finicky and at worst just not very effective.

I've noticed that when the outside temp is cold, the cabin gets very warm and I have to turn the temp setting down. When the outside temp is high, the cabin gets too cold and I have to turn the temp setting up. It seems like the hvac tries to compensate far too much for outside temperature changes rather than just trying to hold a consistent cabin temp. This has been this way over several s/w changes (I've had the car since 10/2012).

I've noticed that when the outside temp is cold, the cabin gets very warm and I have to turn the temp setting down. When the outside temp is high, the cabin gets too cold and I have to turn the temp setting up. It seems like the hvac tries to compensate far too much for outside temperature changes rather than just trying to hold a consistent cabin temp. This has been this way over several s/w changes (I've had the car since 10/2012).

yeah, my car is almost as old as yours, i had a service tech confide that the early production units have the interior temp sensor in a different (not so smart) place as compared to the current ones. i think originally the sensor was near the steering wheel shaft, and now it's in the ceiling. when i asked for calibration and testing, the report came back 'varies up to 6º F, normal'. i said, 'normal??'... she said, 'yep, that's what they tell us..'... so.

fwiw, i have actually kept the temp setting fairly static the last several weeks and lo and behold, it pretty much works. i think they're still tweaking the fresh/circulate algorithms and the basic thing seems to be a/c comes from the console vents and heat from the floor, with some variation... i've tried leaving almost everything on auto, and.. you know, it's been pretty good. but. i'm in socal, so not much to fight here comparatively.