TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Temperature Drop Tire Issues

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by MrGrumpy, Mar 10, 2016.

1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Member

#1 MrGrumpy, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    There seems to be tire issues with my Model S on 21" whenever the air temperature (weather) drops rapidly:

In January the day when it dropped to 3 degrees, TPMS alerted low pressure (~1.7 bar) on my front left tire. Checked it out at a tire shop and said the sealing around the monitor inside the tire wasn't fitted very well and when it gets cold and shrinks a bit, air goes out.

Tonight when I drove TPMS alerted me for the rear right tire @2.4 bar. Haven't checked it out it yet but wondering if any of you have encountered similar issues.

And may I ask what pressure does are your 21" tires running on?

Thanks!

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Basically, when it gets cold inflate your tires to spec first thing in the morning before you drive more than 2 km slowly. If it warms up later in the day or the next day, don't worry about it they'll be fine.

3. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Wow. My TPMS doesn't alert me to anything until the tire is essentially out of air. Fortunately, I have been the one bleeding the air off. I had one instance where I picked up a screw and pressure dropped from 42 to 32, which I view as very significant. The only reason I knew was that I had the display up on the IP and happened to notice it. I am sure I would have been flat within a few hours after getting home. My Acura would notify me if it lost approx 10-15% of pressure (3-5 PSI). The next time I go in, I will have a chat with service.

4. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

It's "normal" as it's just physics. At a given volume (the tire), when temperature falls, pressure falls.

As for the correct pressure, it's written on the label near the driver door. (Open the door, and look down towards the car body.) If I remember correctly, 21" should be 42 psi, but I think that was for the older Continental tires -- not sure if the newer Michelin tires need a different psi.

Hope this helps.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That's the vehicle placard pressure. It's a staring place, not necessarily the "correct" pressure. Any pressure recommendation is based on a set of assumptions, change any one of the assumptions and the pressure needs to be adjusted. Generally for on-road use the vehicle placard pressure is the pressure you never want to go below.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My late 2013 S does not have the individual tire pressure display that the newer cars have, but a year ago it did alert me to a tire that was down by about 5 psi compared to the other three tires.