Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temperature Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Folks,

Does anyone know what temperature the Tesla battery likes to be at in a heated garage I mean more specifically the garage temperature to keep the car from having limited regeneration? I will appreciate your ideas

Thanks

Over the years I found Tesla has resolved a lot of the regen limitations during colder weather. Not sure personally what that temp would be to have optimum regen. It's been known that if you want regen during cooler weather that you would end your charge cycle prior to departing. Charging warms the battery pack. I think that's why they have worked on offering scheduling departures and such.

You could try scan my tesla and see what battery temperature brings in full regen. Once that's known you still need to know what ambient temperature is needed to get the battery at that temperature. I'm sure there are many thermodynamic engineers here that may weigh in to help answer that.

A couple years ago the battery needed to be around 21C (70F) to have full regen. Last winter that value had changed to around 10-11C if memory serves me right. They accordingly changed the target temperatures for active heating while cabin preconditioning. I don't remember seeing any dots on the regen bar when getting out of my garage last winter. I heat it to around 13-15C but since the battery is so close to the concrete floor it was around 11-12C typically. I'll obviously monitor this winter as things can always change.

This is something of a moot point now if you have blended brakes turned on. It's safer, more consistent, and, if you believe the release notes, gives you improvement in regeneration.

That said, I am curious as to the answer to the OP's question as well. 🙂

*Edit: Also, as long as you have blended brakes, I don't see how heating the garage to heat the battery would ever be cost effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darmie
I don't see how heating the garage to heat the battery would ever be cost effective.
If the house is above the garage, your garage heat is reducing your house heating costs :)

I would like to try putting a small 110v heater on the floor below the center of the car, on 750w not 1500w. The car will run its' coolant pumps to distribute the heat evenly throughout the pack. Need to watch out for water pooling around the heater, though.

I can't see any circumstances where heating the garage solely for the car makes any sense. It's always going to be most cost effective to keep your car cold and warm it up as needed.

I believe that both turning on the climate control through the app and keeping a door open will cause the car to warm up the battery. Keep your car plugged in and it will use wall power to do this.

However, if you're not going too far, then the most efficient method of all is to just keep your car cold and simply drive off without anything else. What little extra energy you gain from regen isn't offset by the energy used to heat the battery.

Reactions: DrGriz
If the house is above the garage, your garage heat is reducing your house heating costs :)

I would like to try putting a small 110v heater on the floor below the center of the car, on 750w not 1500w. The car will run its' coolant pumps to distribute the heat evenly throughout the pack. Need to watch out for water pooling around the heater, though.
Please don’t do something as obviously stupid as this.

I can't see any circumstances where heating the garage solely for the car makes any sense. It's always going to be most cost effective to keep your car cold and warm it up as needed.

I believe that both turning on the climate control through the app and keeping a door open will cause the car to warm up the battery. Keep your car plugged in and it will use wall power to do this.

However, if you're not going too far, then the most efficient method of all is to just keep your car cold and simply drive off without anything else. What little extra energy you gain from regen isn't offset by the energy used to heat the battery.
My battery heating stops when I open the door.

Regardless, you’re correct that there are no situations where it will be more cost effective to heat the garage for additional regeneration.

My battery heating stops when I open the door.

Regardless, you’re correct that there are no situations where it will be more cost effective to heat the garage for additional regeneration.
Totally agree regarding the garage heating, and of course a space heater under the car is a horrible fire just waiting to happen.

Yes, opening a door either before or after starting preconditioning does seem to stop battery heating. At least, it seems to change something. I don't have an app that tells me that battery heating is happening for sure or not.

Please don’t do something as obviously stupid as this.
Yeah, you'd have to plug into a GFCI outlet, which the law has required every outdoor outlet to be since 1971😉 They're really great at doing their one job of completely preventing fires if a hair dryer, radio, heater etc falls into a bathtub or sink. Anyways my ideal heater would have a slanted roof over-top of it, just to make sure water doesn't drip on it.

And no, no one try this, because anything can develop unforeseen problems, nothing's perfect.

Reactions: singlestack