Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temperature gauge question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I have a random temperature gauge question. On my 1.5, my temperature gauge has blue/yellow/red blocks only—no numerical temperatures are shown. But I've seen photos, like the one attached, where the actual temperature reading is present.

How do I get mine to show the numerical temperature?

Attachments

• IMG-20160805-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20160805-WA0001.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 126
I believe that's what is shown when the VDS is in diagnostic mode. Not normally what Tesla wants the car left in, as there are things that can be done from there that can mess things up a bit. For that reason, I've not gone in there myself (though I do know the code / procedure to do so), though some leave it on as a matter of course.

Perhaps a better way to get the temps is to grab an OVMS module, which will do that and a whole lot more.

Thanks @gregd! How does one get into diagnostic mode? I have an OVMS module, but it never did work quite right. And I'm about to repurpose the OBD2 port for a dash cam.
I'll PM you. The code is out there, but I'd rather not broadcast it further.

The OVMS v1/2 is being replaced with v3, with a lot more horsepower under the hood for new things. Still a bit in beta form, but rapidly getting better. What sorts of troubles did you have with your current one?

Regarding the OBDII port, all you can get from it in a Roadster is a little continuous +12v power. If you want more than that (e.g. any of the OBDII dongles and such), they will likely fail to work because the CAN bus doesn't go there, and if it did, the traffic isn't standard. The new OVMSv3 module has an ECU simulator / translator that can create a more-or-less regular OBDII port for such things. (Full disclosure, I had a hand in writing the code for it, so this is also a shameless plug for the box...)

Oh, bummer. Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference there.

But, the temps are available through OVMS, right?

I don't have OVMS, unfortunately, so I'm not quite sure. I've just always owned 2.X cars and viewed the temps via the VDS in Diagnostic Mode. I first realized you couldn't in the 2008's when borrowing a friend's 1.5.

Could anyone with OVMS and a 1.5 verify this? Thanks in advance!

I don't have OVMS, unfortunately, so I'm not quite sure. I've just always owned 2.X cars and viewed the temps via the VDS in Diagnostic Mode. I first realized you couldn't in the 2008's when borrowing a friend's 1.5.

Could anyone with OVMS and a 1.5 verify this? Thanks in advance!

Temps can be accessed via OVMS and via the diagnostic mode on the car, but as @gregd says best shared via PM, I'll be in touch shortly, the issue with this and what Tesla I think fairly doesn't like to broadcast is that you can easily screw up a bunch of settings, it's not like where you can play with an iPhone guts and come away smelling of roses, the Roadster is less forgiving.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
Temps can be accessed via OVMS and via the diagnostic mode on the car, but as @gregd says best shared via PM, I'll be in touch shortly, the issue with this and what Tesla I think fairly doesn't like to broadcast is that you can easily screw up a bunch of settings, it's not like where you can play with an iPhone guts and come away smelling of roses, the Roadster is less forgiving.

Thanks for the message, @Kerios. However, I think my response may have confused you.

I’m referring to putting the VDS into Debug Mode via the Diagnostic Menu (which is where we’re both on the same page about). The OP mentioned how he can’t see temperature numbers, and my response states that even if you DO go into Debug Mode in the Diagnostic Menu in a 1.5, you can’t change it to view temperatures. Similarly, on a 2.0 and 2.5, default cars won’t show temperatures, but putting it in Debug Mode will change it to show them in real time.

What I don’t know, is what you can or cannot view with OVMS, as I don’t have it, so that was my question. Lol!

Thanks for the message, @Kerios. However, I think my response may have confused you.

I’m referring to putting the VDS into Debug Mode via the Diagnostic Menu (which is where we’re both on the same page about). The OP mentioned how he can’t see temperature numbers, and my response states that even if you DO go into Debug Mode in the Diagnostic Menu in a 1.5, you can’t change it to view temperatures. Similarly, on a 2.0 and 2.5, default cars won’t show temperatures, but putting it in Debug Mode will change it to show them in real time.

What I don’t know, is what you can or cannot view with OVMS, as I don’t have it, so that was my question. Lol!

Interesting. I was able to get into the diagnostic menu, but didn't see anything in there about debug mode. Any idea what the path is to get there?

And yes, after seeing all the options, I see why Tesla wants to keep it locked down!

Is there a write up / annotated photo of all the options somewhere, or something that at least calls out which ones are potentially risky/irreversible?

I think I have a good sense what most of them do, but for example I hadn't tried this one before because I want sure what it would do (and as a former Sys admin I prefer not to figure out options in superuser more by trial and error)

Is there a write up / annotated photo of all the options somewhere, or something that at least calls out which ones are potentially risky/irreversible?

I think I have a good sense what most of them do, but for example I hadn't tried this one before because I want sure what it would do (and as a former Sys admin I prefer not to figure out options in superuser more by trial and error)

I wondered that too. I rolled the dice on pressing one button, and it promptly crashed the VDS.

Yes - there is. I’ll PM it to both you and @josh-io.

I wondered that too. I rolled the dice on pressing one button, and it promptly crashed the VDS.
Yes, that's one thing in common with nearly all diagnostic / debug systems I've ever come in contact with (or written myself). They tend to be buggy, narrowly applied, cryptic in description, devoid of safeguards, and missing any shred of support. Be really careful, and use it as a last resort versus being a primary casual operating tool.