TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Temperature management standards with Li batteries.

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by slipdrive, Feb 25, 2014.

1. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

I note that Toyota is moving to a 4.4 kwH Lithium ion pak of one sort or another in the new Plug in Prius. Last week somebody posted detailed flowcharts of the Tesla fluid heating/cooling system, which is integrated with multiple components. Pretty elaborate. So I am wondering how Nissan, Toyota and GM manage battery temperature ? Maybe they don't ? Because it seems that more information is leading to the conclusion that temperature conditioning may have a big impact on battery life and performance. Didn't Nissan Leaf owners recently file lawsuits for failed paks after two years ?

2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

3. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

I believe the volt does have active heat management, while the Leaf does not, which is a likely contributor to the Leafs poor performance in the cold.

4. slipdrive

slipdrive Member

That explains it! Thanks. So wonder how Nissan is addressing it ? Quite the problem, and it doesn't help the public EV image. Hope they take care of it.