Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tempest wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would just hope they stay put. On my first car (1985 Buick Regal I purchased when I got my license in 1995) I added a set of chrome spinner hubcaps (hey it was the mid-90's). Every time I hit a pothole, at least one would come flying off the car and I'd see it rolling down the road in front of me or bouncing to the sidewalk.

I can't tell you how many I had to replace due to them cracking/breaking.

I don't have a problem with the design of the hub-caps I have a problem with the things that are underneath. So considering most people that actually go with this wheel will NOT be taking the hub-caps off I don't have to see anything in-person to know that the physical wheel that's beneath the hub-caps are UGLY. I don't know about nor do I care about the extra range it gives. Tell this to someone who ACTUALLY cares about the extra range they give.

So skedaddle.

Thank you for sharing.

Best we agree to disagree and drop the conversation since it's a waste of time.

• Funny
Reactions: P85DBeast
Does anyone have a pic of those wheels with the covers off?

Anyone anyone.JPG

I did not notice any range reduction when the Carbon Slipstream wheels are selected so my guess is that the tempest wheels cost less to manufacture which actually makes ordering the carbon Slipstreams more palatable than paying $1500.00 more for gray paint on the same wheel like it used to be.

Got my MS Long Range Plus last week after placing an order on January 1, 2020. My original LR order included the Silver Slipstream wheels, but after the LR+ went live I was told it was only available with the new Tempest wheels (ahem, "wheel covers") and had to update the order.

As others have noted they look kinda cheesy, but something no one has mentioned is the NOISE they make. The first time I summoned my new MS out of the garage, I was surprised at the creaky, clicking sound all four wheel covers make as they rotate. It's very noticeable to anyone outside the car or if you have a window down while rolling up to a drive-thru window.

I could probably get used to the look of the Tempest covers, but that noise is gonna drive me crazy so I've ordered an Aero wheel cap kit and those covers are going into storage. Here's a before and after pic (Photoshopped the caps onto the actual wheels until I get the kit). Opinions welcomed.

2020-Tempest-caps.jpg

Got my MS Long Range Plus last week after placing an order on January 1, 2020. My original LR order included the Silver Slipstream wheels, but after the LR+ went live I was told it was only available with the new Tempest wheels (ahem, "wheel covers") and had to update the order.

As others have noted they look kinda cheesy, but something no one has mentioned is the NOISE they make. The first time I summoned my new MS out of the garage, I was surprised at the creaky, clicking sound all four wheel covers make as they rotate. It's very noticeable to anyone outside the car or if you have a window down while rolling up to a drive-thru window.

I could probably get used to the look of the Tempest covers, but that noise is gonna drive me crazy so I've ordered an Aero wheel cap kit and those covers are going into storage. Here's a before and after pic (Photoshopped the caps onto the actual wheels until I get the kit). Opinions welcomed.

View attachment 526426

Here they are this the Gen1 Split Spoke wheel caps and black lug covers:

20200307_101155.jpg

20200307_090642.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
I think the Model S needs to take a page out of the Model Y playbook and offer three options for wheels. Currently, on offer is a functional/efficient (but not overly pretty) 19” option that maximizes range, comfort and cost. At the other end of the spectrum is a 21” wheel that is long(er) on style but short on range, comfort, wear and PDR (aka “pothole damage resistance”). In the middle, and lacking as of this writing, would be a functional, pretty and cost-effective 20” option that offers a reasonable balance of style, wear, durability and price. Kudos to both of the posters above for their efforts to improve a situation that Tesla needs to resolve internally. Just my unsolicited $0.02. Thanks all.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Here they are this the Gen1 Split Spoke wheel caps and black lug covers:

@cmarshack - Glad you joined in! Your earlier post in the 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' discussion group is what cued me into using the lug covers and caps on the wheel. I found several vendors on Amazon claiming their kits fit the 3, S, and X and picked one with the silver center cap and black "T" logo.

BTW, did you notice your Tempest covers creaking like mine? Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet, unless mine are uniquely noisy. :confused:

@cmarshack - Glad you joined in! Your earlier post in the 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' discussion group is what cued me into using the lug covers and caps on the wheel. I found several vendors on Amazon claiming their kits fit the 3, S, and X and picked one with the silver center cap and black "T" logo.

BTW, did you notice your Tempest covers creaking like mine? Can't believe no one else has mentioned this yet, unless mine are uniquely noisy. :confused:

I only had them on the car from the Sales Center to my house, so I did not have a change to hear if they creaked. I would imagine the would.

I am going to throw my snow tires on the Tempest wheels and shoot them in Black Platidip. They may look OK in Black...but i do not think the hub caps will ever find their way back on my car.

I only had them on the car from the Sales Center to my house, so I did not have a change to hear if they creaked. I would imagine the would.

I am going to throw my snow tires on the Tempest wheels and shoot them in Black Platidip. They may look OK in Black...but i do not think the hub caps will ever find their way back on my car.
Did you ever dip your tempest? Would love to see pics.