Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tempest wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d say it’s near certain that they aren’t making unique right and left parts, just like they don’t with the directional wheels.

The more aerodynamic it is in one direction, the less aerodynamic it is in the other, so what is the point if one side cancels out the other side?

But the only reason I ask is the fact that Porsche actually does this on the Taycan, But I suppose Porsche trusts their customers more than Tesla does to put the proper wheels on the proper side of the car. Personally I think turbines look really stupid on the right side of the car.
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 8.04.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 8.03.56 PM.png

The actual wheel without the cover doesn't look that bad IMO. I guess we had since September 2019 to train our eyes to love/hate the fact that "high end" Teslas now come with wheel covers :rolleyes:, just like @dark cloud wisely mentioned...

I agree here. Take the dumb cover off. And then add the lug nut caps and the Tesla center cap and you almost have a 7 spoke version of the OEM 5 spikes circa 2012-2015

IMO the wheels without caps do not look as good as the capless aero's fro the 3. I'd love to see both sides of the car - I think this design is noticeably directional and it could feel weird seeing them backward on the passenger side. Still, if they give a 3-5% improvement of the slipstreams then I'd be tempted to get them as the look isn't my top priority.

Reactions: VikH
IMO the wheels without caps do not look as good as the capless aero's fro the 3. I'd love to see both sides of the car - I think this design is noticeably directional and it could feel weird seeing them backward on the passenger side. Still, if they give a 3-5% improvement of the slipstreams then I'd be tempted to get them as the look isn't my top priority.

Agreed. Tesla should have made the real wheels gunmetal or stuck with Model 3 real wheel design.

Reactions: Cheburashka

Agree — the whole 7 spoke/5 lug nut thing doesn’t work. Model 3 wheel is much more successful in this regard.

think this design is noticeably directional and it could feel weird seeing them backward on the passenger side.

Agreed, they are directional! Allow me to quote... me:

I dunno.... Compare this pic to the (rendering) pic in the OP’s post. This “real” pic is of the right front, and the rendering from the online “build” tool shows left front—and they appear to be mirror-images.... Yes/no???

Seriously, am I crazy? The pics posted by 51savage in post #15 appear to be a front/right wheel; the renderings obtained on the Tesla site show a front/right wheel. The two covers appear to be mirror-images: each “spoke” of the cover has a tab at the outermost part leading “forward,” with a gap below (toward centerline), and a black section trailing the silver-colored section. That appears to be the same on both sides, i.e., mirror-images.

Or am I really out to lunch...??

Last edited:
Agreed, they are directional! Allow me to quote... me:

Seriously, am I crazy? The pics posted by 51savage in post #15 appear to be a front/right wheel; the renderings obtained on the Tesla site show a front/right wheel. The two covers appear to be mirror-images: each “spoke” of the cover has a tab at the outermost part leading “forward,” with a gap below (toward centerline), and a black section trailing the silver-colored section. That appears to be the same on both sides, i.e., mirror-images.

Or am I really out to lunch...??

I agree with this analysis and hope you are correct! The underlying wheels could be identical all around with only the covers being directional which would simplify production and lead to some cost savings.

I agree with this analysis and hope you are correct! The underlying wheels could be identical all around with only the covers being directional which would simplify production and lead to some cost savings.
Ah...! I’ve been talking about the covers—perhaps ekendahl is referring to the wheels...?

Since the Tesla rendering is the only thing I’ve seen of the left side wheels (and, it shows them with the cover on), I don’t know. Looking at 51savage’s pic, it does seem to have some directional-like asymmetry: each of the seven “spokes” is “forked,” with the leading fork a bit beefier than the trailing one, and slightly twisted to have the leading fork a bit outboard at the outer diameter.

Now I want to see pics of the left wheel! That may very well look goofy if it’s not directional...!

That's the cheapest looking wheel I've ever seen. disgusting.
I'd wait until you see it in person before you condemn it.

People buying EV's want RANGE, and these wheels appear to deliver. The airflow over the top spokes of a wheel is twice the speed of the car; wheel design is a MAJOR influence on the range of a car, and especially an EV.

Aero drag is an exponential function.

Get over it.

I'd wait until you see it in person before you condemn it.

People buying EV's want RANGE, and these wheels appear to deliver. The airflow over the top spokes of a wheel is twice the speed of the car; wheel design is a MAJOR influence on the range of a car, and especially an EV.

Aero drag is an exponential function.

Get over it.

I don't have a problem with the design of the hub-caps I have a problem with the things that are underneath. So considering most people that actually go with this wheel will NOT be taking the hub-caps off I don't have to see anything in-person to know that the physical wheel that's beneath the hub-caps are UGLY. I don't know about nor do I care about the extra range it gives. Tell this to someone who ACTUALLY cares about the extra range they give.

So skedaddle.