Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary moving house (and renting) - charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am on the cusp of ordering a Model X in the UK. It's a big decision, although there aren't too many obstacles in the way now. I think I've convinced myself that it's not total madness financially, and I love the car itself. There's one final issue that's bugging me which is...

... the liklihood is that we will redevelop our house next year and that will involve moving out and renting somewhere else for up to a year. My question is - how likely is it that a landlord would allow me to (financed by me) install or wire in the necessary electrics to have 7kw charging in a rental property?

Essentially, how intrusive does a temporary installation need to be? Is it more intrusive than, say, installing Sky TV? I'm not expecting that they'd be happy for me to be screwing large things into the exterior of the house, or burying cables etc, but do you think it's likely that I could either a) have the electrical wiring done so non-invasively that I wouldn't even need to mention it, or b) get permission to do a minimally disruptive installation of the electrics, into the existing electrical infrastructure? What things do I need to think about?

I know there are a number of options for install, and presumably i'll already have the hardware I'd need (either a Tesla home charger, or pod point or something), so really wondering if folk on here have a view as to what they'd do in my situation.

Final option is to just not get the car, of course, but that seems a bit drastic. For what it's worth, it's exceptionally unlikely that we'd end up with a house that didn't have a driveway, (I don't think I could bare it), so that shouldn't be an issue.

thanks in advance.

Richard

Why focus on a temporary installation? Adding a charging infrastructure would make the house more valuable to either a future renter or a potential buyer, as EVs are becoming more popular all the time. Were I a landlord, I would welcome the addition of a permanent charging infrastructure.

Both good points actually. As far as the temporary installation is concerned, yes if you get the right landlord they might welcome it. But some people can be funny with this kind of thing. However, I suspect the fact that we have a dog is going to be the bigger barrier to finding the right property!

And yes, as for the 10A option, it could well work. Typical daily driving is 50 miles or so, so comfortably within the 5mi/hr chargeable limitations. It probably comes down to scenarios where a big trip is made on a weekend, and it takes the entire week to get back to a full charge level - it's a small increase to the range anxiety, so a minor entry in the 'against' column.

You may do better than expected. IIRC, UK household voltage is 230 V compared to 120 V in US.

Recharge will add nearly twice the 6 miles per hour you mentioned in your post. If you return home at 15% after a long journey you’ll almost certainly have enough for your commute by morning.

13 Amps (typical plug maximum) x 230 V in U.K. vs 12 Amps x 120 V in US.

Not sure of the physics, but in UK a 240/230V 13A (10A charge) supply only gives approx 5 miles per hour, or at least that's what the test drive car I tried (P100D!) managed when we had it for a weekend. Should still be enough, except in unusual circumstances.

Several years ago, we moved to a temporary townhouse after selling our previous house and waiting for the new house to complete construction.

We have an HPWC that we de-installed from our old house and re-installed in our new house.

For the temporary townhouse, we paid for the owner to install a 14-50 outlet (US) in the garage. This wasn't a major expense, since the power panel was located in the garage, and there was enough power going into the townhouse to support adding a 50A circuit. We used our UMC to charge the car until we moved into the new house and shifted back to our HPWC.

Just plug it into the wall with an extension cord.
You’ll get about 6 miles per hour, so about 100 miles 7pm-7am.
If your daily usage is less than 100 miles you’ll never need faster charging, and if your commute is more you may have top up at a supercharger once a week.

Both good points actually. As far as the temporary installation is concerned, yes if you get the right landlord they might welcome it. But some people can be funny with this kind of thing. However, I suspect the fact that we have a dog is going to be the bigger barrier to finding the right property!

And yes, as for the 10A option, it could well work. Typical daily driving is 50 miles or so, so comfortably within the 5mi/hr chargeable limitations. It probably comes down to scenarios where a big trip is made on a weekend, and it takes the entire week to get back to a full charge level - it's a small increase to the range anxiety, so a minor entry in the 'against' column.

If you do a big trip would you go to places where you pass by a Supercharger? If so, you could top off quickly