Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporary Registration during COVID19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Michigan and picked up my car in Illinois, since Tesla can't deliver vehicles in Michigan. Anyway, that was a month ago and now my temporary registration has expired and I can't register my car until probably the end of May at the earliest due to my state being shut down. Has anyone else had any luck getting Tesla to issue another temporary registration. I've purchased cars out of state before and usually it's no problem for dealers to just issue another temporary registration if paperwork is held up.. but Tesla unfortunately is not a dealer and they don't seem to be equipped to handle the situation. I've called 3 times and am getting frustrated.

Anyone else in the same boat?

I live in Michigan and picked up my car in Illinois, since Tesla can't deliver vehicles in Michigan. Anyway, that was a month ago and now my temporary registration has expired and I can't register my car until probably the end of May at the earliest due to my state being shut down. Has anyone else had any luck getting Tesla to issue another temporary registration. I've purchased cars out of state before and usually it's no problem for dealers to just issue another temporary registration if paperwork is held up.. but Tesla unfortunately is not a dealer and they don't seem to be equipped to handle the situation. I've called 3 times and am getting frustrated.

I bought mine on 3/21 and the temporary tags just expired. I called my service center and was told that the state of NJ has extended temporary tags by a month. They did anticipate my plates within a week or so...

I purchase a car out of state from Westmont/Chicago and also had my IL-issued temporary tag expire well in advance of receipt of my plates (apparently Westmont/Chicago did not send the correct forms to my local DMV, so that took some time to remedy). I ended up having to call Westmont/Chicago a handful of times to get someone to task on issuing new temporary tags, they said they would overnight via FedEx a new temporary tag, which they ultimately did not do before i received my hard plates a few weeks later.

I ended up driving with an expired temporary tag for a few weeks and never got any flack for it. I would think LEO's will be more understanding in these current times.

That's essentially what Tesla just told me. Our governor issued an executive order to not enforce expired Michigan registrations. I have an out of state registration, but I doubt I'll get too much trouble from the local law enforcement.

I purchase a car out of state from Westmont/Chicago and also had my IL-issued temporary tag expire well in advance of receipt of my plates (apparently Westmont/Chicago did not send the correct forms to my local DMV, so that took some time to remedy). I ended up having to call Westmont/Chicago a handful of times to get someone to task on issuing new temporary tags, they said they would overnight via FedEx a new temporary tag, which they ultimately did not do before i received my hard plates a few weeks later.

I ended up driving with an expired temporary tag for a few weeks and never got any flack for it. I would think LEO's will be more understanding in these current times.

I picked my Tesla up in Chicago end of February and temp permit expired mid March. Live in Michigan so can't register until Secretary of State office opens. I drive around and if I get pulled over maybe they'll open the SOS. Ha ha!