TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tempus doesn't Fugit while awaiting Model 3--what to do?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EV3Tim, Apr 26, 2016.

1. EV3Tim

EV3Tim New Member

Waiting for some 21+ months until our Model 3 enters production tests our patience--especially for first timers. What can we do to keep motivated and help give the illusion that time is flying?

1. Read related books:
    - "The Electric Car Guide 2015: Discover the truth about owning and using electric cars" by Michael Boxwell.
    - "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future" by Ashlee Vance.
    - "Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Age" by W. Bernard Carlson.
    2. Arrange a Model S test drive.
    3. Have a NEMS 14-50 electrical socket installed in the garage.
    4. Keep an eye on the Tesla Motors Club, Teslarati and Tesla Living blogs.
    5. Watch Tesla Motors Fans YouTube videos.
    6. ?

Any other ideas for those patiently waiting for a S3XY Tesla motor?

2. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

6. Live on a different planet.

I'm afraid that point 2 may be aggravating…

3. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Get out and buy a CPO Model S... turn it in when you get the 3. (maybe).
    A friend of mine just purchased the first Consumer Reports Model S and is loving every minute of it.

Certainly, the time from now when your Model 3 will be delivered is going to be exceptionally long even if everything goes according to Tesla's schedule. For the 3 to be in full production it requires 2 major systems to be functioning well.... the Gigafactory and the 3 line at Fremont. Fingers are crossed.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

A cheaper option would be to start driving EV now is to pick up a used Leaf or other EV. Used 2011-2012 Leafs are going for less than $10,000. This is the option we put my mom in a few years ago and did again when that Leaf was totaled in late 2015.

There is nothing that would make you appreciate a Tesla more than when you drive its competitors' EVs.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Totally forget about it until you're asked to configure.

6. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

LOL that is part of the problem if you ask me. I have 0 desire to drive any other EV besides a Tesla

7. CTreast

CTreast Member

I'm actually having a blast in my off-lease $9k Leaf. If I'm having this much fun it in - I can't even imagine what my 3 is gonna be like. Plus save some gas $ while you do it. I vote Leaf! Check Craigslist I bet you'll be surprised.

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

#8 AEdennis, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    @wbrumfiel almost all EVs are a blast to drive. And since you're in Colorado, your state rebate is very generous and includes USED EVs. (just added: $5,112 credit for Leaf in Colorado. (up to $6,000 for larger batteries)) I would say that you probably can get a used Leaf for a lot cheaper than other places. And as @CTreast can attest (and many others) driving EV now will lower your fuel costs significantly thus allowing you to save faster for that Model 3.

9. jonnyg

jonnyg Member

Same here. Not the prettiest car for sure, but it does the job for around town and short trips for me.

10. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

#10 Lunarx, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Lease yourself a big fire breathing ICE car like;
    Charger Hellcat
    C63 AMG
    CTS-V

Enjoy the last stand of ICE Performance.
    You have the rest of your life (after Model 3) to drive EV.

If you leased a Leaf, you might die of boredom, before the Model 3 came out :oops:

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

NOT doing any of these and going about your life for another two years would seem to be the best way.

12. wbrumfiel

wbrumfiel Member

Lol. I own an Infiniti G37x. Fun little car, terrible gas mileage. I'll just kill the environment in that for 2-3 more years

• Like x 1
  13. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Let me just say...

This is what my cost per mile for fuel has been

EV - $0.008 to $0.03 (depending on tariff)

ICE -
    Hybrid Honda $0.09
    BMW 3 Series $0.15-$0.17
    BMW X5 $0.25-$0.27

Needless to say, depending on how much driving you do... You could save a lot driving an EV sooner rather than later. Not even mentioning the environmental impact stuff.

14. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

Yah, I'd need 2 - one to drive to work and then drop at the Nissan dealer to charge, and the one I left there yesterday to drive home...

• Funny x 1
  15. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

It's not for everyone, just the majority that can make that trip. Typically those in more urban settings. CHAdeMO does recover 80% of the range in about 30 minutes. I used to drive a 80-100 mile range EV that did not have any fast charger options. The Leaf at least has the CHAdeMO option that makes it a more usable car.

My first suggestion would be to pick up a CPO or inventory S... It also has the added benefit of moving someone who doesn't own a Tesla to be in a higher priority.

16. NoPetrolDream

NoPetrolDream Member

Time seems to go by so quickly for me now as it is...having a Model 3 reservation may put the brakes on time passages a little...maybe?

If not, next thing ya know I'm taking delivery of a Model 3 and yet again wondering where the time went... :)

17. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I like watching Bjorn Nyland videos to pass the time sometimes.

18. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

Good suggestion. Not only are they fun but I've learned a huge amount about the whole Tesla/EV ownership experience and the way he does them really makes you feel like you're along for the ride. My SO really doesn't get them though, all I ever hear is OMG... Not THAT guy again!

• Funny x 2
  19. EV3Tim

EV3Tim New Member

Great idea! Had not heard of him.

20. EinSV

EinSV Member

Install solar panels so you can drive for 'free.' Waste endless hours on TMC speculating about the Model 3. ;)

• Funny x 1