Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tempus doesn't Fugit while awaiting Model 3--what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for some 21+ months until our Model 3 enters production tests our patience--especially for first timers. What can we do to keep motivated and help give the illusion that time is flying?

1. Read related books:
- "The Electric Car Guide 2015: Discover the truth about owning and using electric cars" by Michael Boxwell.
- "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future" by Ashlee Vance.
- "Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Age" by W. Bernard Carlson.
2. Arrange a Model S test drive.
3. Have a NEMS 14-50 electrical socket installed in the garage.
4. Keep an eye on the Tesla Motors Club, Teslarati and Tesla Living blogs.
5. Watch Tesla Motors Fans YouTube videos.
6. ?

Any other ideas for those patiently waiting for a S3XY Tesla motor?

Get out and buy a CPO Model S... turn it in when you get the 3. (maybe).
A friend of mine just purchased the first Consumer Reports Model S and is loving every minute of it.

Certainly, the time from now when your Model 3 will be delivered is going to be exceptionally long even if everything goes according to Tesla's schedule. For the 3 to be in full production it requires 2 major systems to be functioning well.... the Gigafactory and the 3 line at Fremont. Fingers are crossed.

Get out and buy a CPO Model S... turn it in when you get the 3. (maybe).
A friend of mine just purchased the first Consumer Reports Model S and is loving every minute of it.

Certainly, the time from now when your Model 3 will be delivered is going to be exceptionally long even if everything goes according to Tesla's schedule. For the 3 to be in full production it requires 2 major systems to be functioning well.... the Gigafactory and the 3 line at Fremont. Fingers are crossed.

A cheaper option would be to start driving EV now is to pick up a used Leaf or other EV. Used 2011-2012 Leafs are going for less than $10,000. This is the option we put my mom in a few years ago and did again when that Leaf was totaled in late 2015.

There is nothing that would make you appreciate a Tesla more than when you drive its competitors' EVs.

I'm actually having a blast in my off-lease $9k Leaf. If I'm having this much fun it in - I can't even imagine what my 3 is gonna be like. Plus save some gas $ while you do it. I vote Leaf! Check Craigslist I bet you'll be surprised.

LOL that is part of the problem if you ask me. I have 0 desire to drive any other EV besides a Tesla

I'm actually having a blast in my off-lease $9k Leaf. If I'm having this much fun it in - I can't even imagine what my 3 is gonna be like. Plus save some gas $ while you do it. I vote Leaf! Check Craigslist I bet you'll be surprised.

@wbrumfiel almost all EVs are a blast to drive. And since you're in Colorado, your state rebate is very generous and includes USED EVs. (just added: $5,112 credit for Leaf in Colorado. (up to $6,000 for larger batteries)) I would say that you probably can get a used Leaf for a lot cheaper than other places. And as @CTreast can attest (and many others) driving EV now will lower your fuel costs significantly thus allowing you to save faster for that Model 3.

Last edited:
Lease yourself a big fire breathing ICE car like;
Charger Hellcat
C63 AMG
CTS-V

Enjoy the last stand of ICE Performance.
You have the rest of your life (after Model 3) to drive EV.

If you leased a Leaf, you might die of boredom, before the Model 3 came out :oops:

Last edited:
Waiting for some 21+ months until our Model 3 enters production tests our patience--especially for first timers. What can we do to keep motivated and help give the illusion that time is flying?

1. Read related books:
- "The Electric Car Guide 2015: Discover the truth about owning and using electric cars" by Michael Boxwell.
- "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future" by Ashlee Vance.
- "Tesla: Inventor of the Electrical Age" by W. Bernard Carlson.
2. Arrange a Model S test drive.
3. Have a NEMS 14-50 electrical socket installed in the garage.
4. Keep an eye on the Tesla Motors Club, Teslarati and Tesla Living blogs.
5. Watch Tesla Motors Fans YouTube videos.
6. ?

Any other ideas for those patiently waiting for a S3XY Tesla motor?

NOT doing any of these and going about your life for another two years would seem to be the best way.

Lease yourself a big fire breathing ICE car like;
Charger Hellcat
C63 AMG
CTS-V

Enjoy the last stand of ICE Performance.
You have the rest of your life (after Model 3) to drive EV.

If you leased a Leaf, you might die of boredom, before the Model 3 came out :oops:
Lol. I own an Infiniti G37x. Fun little car, terrible gas mileage. I'll just kill the environment in that for 2-3 more years

Reactions: Lunarx
Let me just say...

This is what my cost per mile for fuel has been

EV - $0.008 to $0.03 (depending on tariff)

ICE -
Hybrid Honda $0.09
BMW 3 Series $0.15-$0.17
BMW X5 $0.25-$0.27

Needless to say, depending on how much driving you do... You could save a lot driving an EV sooner rather than later. Not even mentioning the environmental impact stuff.

A cheaper option would be to start driving EV now is to pick up a used Leaf or other EV. Used 2011-2012 Leafs are going for less than $10,000. This is the option we put my mom in a few years ago and did again when that Leaf was totaled in late 2015.

There is nothing that would make you appreciate a Tesla more than when you drive its competitors' EVs.

Yah, I'd need 2 - one to drive to work and then drop at the Nissan dealer to charge, and the one I left there yesterday to drive home...

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx
Yah, I'd need 2 - one to drive to work and then drop at the Nissan dealer to charge, and the one I left there yesterday to drive home...
It's not for everyone, just the majority that can make that trip. Typically those in more urban settings. CHAdeMO does recover 80% of the range in about 30 minutes. I used to drive a 80-100 mile range EV that did not have any fast charger options. The Leaf at least has the CHAdeMO option that makes it a more usable car.

My first suggestion would be to pick up a CPO or inventory S... It also has the added benefit of moving someone who doesn't own a Tesla to be in a higher priority.

I like watching Bjorn Nyland videos to pass the time sometimes.
Good suggestion. Not only are they fun but I've learned a huge amount about the whole Tesla/EV ownership experience and the way he does them really makes you feel like you're along for the ride. My SO really doesn't get them though, all I ever hear is OMG... Not THAT guy again!

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx and garsh