TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TEMSA Avenue EV Bus

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Oceanwolf, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

%100 yerli, %100 elektrikli: Temsa Avenue EV has a few more numbers, and TEMSA ve ASELSAN’dan Tamamen Yerli Üretim Elektrikli Otobüs ‘Avenue EV’ has more photos. "The carrying capacity is 35 seated, 52 standing and 1 disabled passenger, the power of the environmental bus is 340 hp (250 kW) and the torque is 2,700 Nm. The electric motor supplying these values is supplied by a 75 kWh battery." (translation by google chrome).

Range is projected to be about 30-45 miles. Putting the numbers together I'd guess that a "full" charge is really about 65 kWh, allowing a little battery protection. So a full charge in 8 minutes would require 500 kW equipment? I suppose that's possible, but it might not be good for the batteries and it seems excessive. It'd probably be more efficient to use 100-200 kW chargers, and only charge enough to get to the next charger-equipped bus stop.

3. Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf Oceanwolf

Thank you for finding that data. The battery seems very small for a bus, I am guessing the range numbers shown are for an empty bus with flat roads. Concept-wise charging while you pick up passangers seem to be clever, but how would you set up such a infrastructure kills that idea. I think this is a great concept that is bound to stay as a concept. I know the SVP who developed the bus, I just couldn't get myself asking him what were you thinking?
    This will be just a great media show and die off somewhere.

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Maybe so. But I think it could work well on dense urban routes, which tend to be shorter anyway. You wouldn't need a charger at every stop. Bus routes tend to have certain stops where they wait longer, so that riders can depend on the scheduled times. Usually these are at the beginning and end of a route, and sometimes at one or two points in between. Those could be good sites for high-power charging.

A system like this could work especially well if the charging-enabled bus stations could be placed at rail stations that already power electric trains, for example Istanbul Metro.

• Like x 1