Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ten days and 1,800 miles with my 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(The TL;DR version of this story is, Model X rocks, no more range anxiety, my LEAF feels like a clown car)

A little over three years ago my wife told me about some of her coworkers who were getting nearly free 2 year leases on the 2013 Nissan LEAF due to a $5k Georgia tax credit. Naturally I was skeptical, but after some research and an increasing number of coworkers taking advantage of the deal we decided to take the plunge and lease our first electric vehicle. Shortly thereafter I discovered Tesla and initially thought it way out of our price range, but we really liked the Model X prototype. After doing a little TCO calculations we decided that although Model X was a bit more expensive than some ICE SUVs we were looking at, the ability to drive all electric, with falcon wing doors, and all of the other advantages of Tesla were well worth it and we put down our $5k in Oct. 2013.

We really wanted to take our new vehicle on a road trip so when the first deliveries happened in September 2015 and volume production was expected late Q1 2016, we planned a trip for my wife, myself, our 14 month old son, and his Granddad to Disney for a few days and the Florida Keys after that. At some point after all the delays, we had to just decide on some dates for the trip and it would either be the first road trip in our new Model X or our last road trip in our 2009 Honda Accord.

Taking Model X truly came down to the wire as our VIN 39XX arrived in our nearest SC the Monday before our trip was scheduled to happen. As I read the reports of VINs well before mine yet to be delivered I don't know what we did to manage a delivery so soon, but Tesla made it happen.

Once we knew our very own Model X was in our home state of Georgia we scrambled to get our Accord ready for sale (huge shoutout to Mike Malone at DentMagix for fixing up the Accord prior to its sale) and I finalized all of our Supercharging plans for the trip.

Delivery went great on the Wednesday prior to our departure and we set out Saturday morning from Marietta, GA. We hit our first Supercharger in Tifton, and met up with Granddad and his Ferrari California who would be joining us on this grand voyage. The car was charged enough for our next destination well before our toddler was done eating lunch.

We were able to skip the next supercharger and move right on to Ocala, FL, even with a side trip to Silver Springs, FL and a glass bottom boat tour (on an electric boat!). We were staying the night in Ocala, so we didn't have to worry about waiting for a full charge.

The next morning we headed on to Disney for two nights and even managed to plug in to a 120v outlet for about 40 hours. This allowed us to skip a planned stop at Fort Drum, FL and instead drive straight to our hotel in Plantation, FL since we were able to charge to 100% at our Disney resort. This leg of the trip was the sole instance of us needing to slow down to make our destination. We drove 75 most of the way but when we were getting close we had to drop to 70, and then even 68 when the speed limit dropped. We arrived at our hotel with 4 miles range late in the night and the next morning before breakfast we had 1 mile.

I made it to the supercharger in Plantation, FL no problem and Grandad shuttled me back to the hotel in his Ferrari so we could all have breakfast. Once we were ready to go we again had a nearly full charge and we headed down to the keys. We made a pit stop for lunch before we could make it to Marathon, but we eventually charged up there and headed down to Key West.

We spent some time checking out Key West, got our obligatory southernmost point pictures, had dinner on the beach, and then headed back to our hotel in Key Largo with a stop at Marathon on the way.

After a destination charger that was listed as 80A but was actually 40A, we found another 120V plug to charge overnight before we made the Key Largo to Atlanta trek the following morning.

On our trip back we hit Plantation, Fort Drum, Turkey Lake (only because the toddler needed changed and didn't eat well at Fort Drum), Lake City, and Tifton. Lake City was the only stop that we weren't waiting on our toddler and that is because it was raining at that 15 min stop!

Overall here are the highlights of the trip: No ICE, Autopilot, extremely minimum time waiting on superchargers.

The negatives at this point are the auto presenting door goes NUTS if I am trying to load my son in his car seat or am anywhere in front, the the side, or behind the vehicle. My workaround is to drop my fob in the driver seat in this scenario, but hopefully that won't be required in the future.

The final takeaway is when we returned home I needed to remove our LEAF from the garage so I could pull Model X in. OMG the backup screen was tiny! The car was tiny! Everything seemed like another galaxy compared to Model X, but I guess that is the new reality with electric vehicles ...

Sounds like a fun trip. I eventually want to make a trip to WDW but from the opposite side of the country, it's a challenge.

Just curious, what resort had EV charging? Was it an L2 charger or just an outlet?

I too have a leaf and know I should be driving in Eco mode but coming from the S, that's usually the first thing I turn off

To calm your door you can get a Key Fob Faraday cage pouch. It blocks the fob from communicating with the car so you can carry the fob and not wear out the battery and have the constant door open/close. I bought this one off of Amazon and it works well. http://amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-Signal-Blocking-Bag/dp/B00Y3FLYWG

Sounds like a fun trip. I eventually want to make a trip to WDW but from the opposite side of the country, it's a challenge.

Just curious, what resort had EV charging? Was it an L2 charger or just an outlet?

I too have a leaf and know I should be driving in Eco mode but coming from the S, that's usually the first thing I turn off

We stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was just an outlet, they had lots of them though. It was underground parking and each spot that was next to a wall had an outlet. We went with the ask for forgiveness later rather than the ask permission now method and it worked out fine.

To calm your door you can get a Key Fob Faraday cage pouch. It blocks the fob from communicating with the car so you can carry the fob and not wear out the battery and have the constant door open/close. I bought this one off of Amazon and it works well. http://amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-Signal-Blocking-Bag/dp/B00Y3FLYWG

Seems like that might be worth it. Kind of a hassle though to have to take it out of the pouch when I am ready to drive or need to get in to the vehicle.

Sounds like you had an awesome trip!

Can you share your average Wh/per mile?

We averaged around 346 Wh/mile if I remember correctly. The long stretches of 40-50 mph on the Overseas Highway in the keys helped that average out a bit. We were getting about 255 Wh/mile for that portion of the trip. On the interstate we ranged from 330-380 depending on speed and elevation changes.

And I would expect it to do that. The car will never know your intent, it will just know that the fob approached or the fob deproached (or whatever the opposite of approached is)

Except I am not moving when it continuously opens and closes. I am leaning in to the rear and it opens, slams shut, opens, slams shut. I am fine if it opens when I walk by, but if the FOB is in the back seat it should shut and stay shut.

I love the feature and don't plan on turning it off, but I do hope it gets a little more intelligent in future firmware upgrades.

Reactions: loganintx
Except I am not moving when it continuously opens and closes. I am leaning in to the rear and it opens, slams shut, opens, slams shut. I am fine if it opens when I walk by, but if the FOB is in the back seat it should shut and stay shut.

I love the feature and don't plan on turning it off, but I do hope it gets a little more intelligent in future firmware upgrades.
I t is addictive and you quickly get use to the door auto-opening and closing. They when I drive some lesser car it annoys me. So it is a matter of figuring out ways to mitigate the extra open/closes.

(The TL;DR version of this story is, Model X rocks, no more range anxiety, my LEAF feels like a clown car)

A little over three years ago my wife told me about some of her coworkers who were getting nearly free 2 year leases on the 2013 Nissan LEAF due to a $5k Georgia tax credit. Naturally I was skeptical, but after some research and an increasing number of coworkers taking advantage of the deal we decided to take the plunge and lease our first electric vehicle. Shortly thereafter I discovered Tesla and initially thought it way out of our price range, but we really liked the Model X prototype. After doing a little TCO calculations we decided that although Model X was a bit more expensive than some ICE SUVs we were looking at, the ability to drive all electric, with falcon wing doors, and all of the other advantages of Tesla were well worth it and we put down our $5k in Oct. 2013.

We really wanted to take our new vehicle on a road trip so when the first deliveries happened in September 2015 and volume production was expected late Q1 2016, we planned a trip for my wife, myself, our 14 month old son, and his Granddad to Disney for a few days and the Florida Keys after that. At some point after all the delays, we had to just decide on some dates for the trip and it would either be the first road trip in our new Model X or our last road trip in our 2009 Honda Accord.

Taking Model X truly came down to the wire as our VIN 39XX arrived in our nearest SC the Monday before our trip was scheduled to happen. As I read the reports of VINs well before mine yet to be delivered I don't know what we did to manage a delivery so soon, but Tesla made it happen.

Once we knew our very own Model X was in our home state of Georgia we scrambled to get our Accord ready for sale (huge shoutout to Mike Malone at DentMagix for fixing up the Accord prior to its sale) and I finalized all of our Supercharging plans for the trip.

Delivery went great on the Wednesday prior to our departure and we set out Saturday morning from Marietta, GA. We hit our first Supercharger in Tifton, and met up with Granddad and his Ferrari California who would be joining us on this grand voyage. The car was charged enough for our next destination well before our toddler was done eating lunch.

We were able to skip the next supercharger and move right on to Ocala, FL, even with a side trip to Silver Springs, FL and a glass bottom boat tour (on an electric boat!). We were staying the night in Ocala, so we didn't have to worry about waiting for a full charge.

The next morning we headed on to Disney for two nights and even managed to plug in to a 120v outlet for about 40 hours. This allowed us to skip a planned stop at Fort Drum, FL and instead drive straight to our hotel in Plantation, FL since we were able to charge to 100% at our Disney resort. This leg of the trip was the sole instance of us needing to slow down to make our destination. We drove 75 most of the way but when we were getting close we had to drop to 70, and then even 68 when the speed limit dropped. We arrived at our hotel with 4 miles range late in the night and the next morning before breakfast we had 1 mile.

I made it to the supercharger in Plantation, FL no problem and Grandad shuttled me back to the hotel in his Ferrari so we could all have breakfast. Once we were ready to go we again had a nearly full charge and we headed down to the keys. We made a pit stop for lunch before we could make it to Marathon, but we eventually charged up there and headed down to Key West.

We spent some time checking out Key West, got our obligatory southernmost point pictures, had dinner on the beach, and then headed back to our hotel in Key Largo with a stop at Marathon on the way.

After a destination charger that was listed as 80A but was actually 40A, we found another 120V plug to charge overnight before we made the Key Largo to Atlanta trek the following morning.

On our trip back we hit Plantation, Fort Drum, Turkey Lake (only because the toddler needed changed and didn't eat well at Fort Drum), Lake City, and Tifton. Lake City was the only stop that we weren't waiting on our toddler and that is because it was raining at that 15 min stop!

Overall here are the highlights of the trip: No ICE, Autopilot, extremely minimum time waiting on superchargers.

The negatives at this point are the auto presenting door goes NUTS if I am trying to load my son in his car seat or am anywhere in front, the the side, or behind the vehicle. My workaround is to drop my fob in the driver seat in this scenario, but hopefully that won't be required in the future.

The final takeaway is when we returned home I needed to remove our LEAF from the garage so I could pull Model X in. OMG the backup screen was tiny! The car was tiny! Everything seemed like another galaxy compared to Model X, but I guess that is the new reality with electric vehicles ...

nice to see someone from Georgia too, would be nice to see some pictures.

Here's some pictures:

Road tripping with the Ferrari
IMG_8225.JPG

Supercharging in Marathon
IMG_8453.JPG

Taking delivery
IMG_8120.JPG

Ooooo :)
IMG_9345.jpg

Great story, and congratulations on your new Model X!

One suggestion, there is a Trip tab on the Energy graph that shows the percentage of estimated energy remaining for your destination. Generally I try to have a minimum 10% remaining when I arrive, just in case.

Also, those Tesla Wall Connectors sometimes are installed in groups at different destinations, so if you get one at 40 A, you may try moving to another one close by to get a rate closer to 80 A. This is likely because of the total circuit capacity at the destination for the charging stations.

Great story, and congratulations on your new Model X!

One suggestion, there is a Trip tab on the Energy graph that shows the percentage of estimated energy remaining for your destination. Generally I try to have a minimum 10% remaining when I arrive, just in case.

Also, those Tesla Wall Connectors sometimes are installed in groups at different destinations, so if you get one at 40 A, you may try moving to another one close by to get a rate closer to 80 A. This is likely because of the total circuit capacity at the destination for the charging stations.

Thanks, we did use the trip tab. It works ok, but it does kind of jump back and forth between saying I will make it fine and I need to slow down to make it.

At this particular destination charging location there was only one Wall Connector and one Clipper Creek J1772. 72A charging would have been nice but we got by with the 40A.