Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tense time exiting Netflix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to relate a weird situation from this weekend. We were in the new Tesla Y and watching Netflix while waiting in line for a car ferry. When it came to be our turn to move forward onto the ferry, I could not get the car into drive and could not get the screen to exit Netflix. First-world problem, right? However, I then had hundreds of cars behind me impatiently trying to get on the ferry and I'm sitting there trying to get my car to respond. No actions on the screen worked (Netflix was still playing). Foot on the brake - nada. Attempt to put the car into drive - nothing. Opened and closed the door hoping it would instigate some action - nothing. I finally pulled out my phone and locked and then unlocked the car. When I touched the brake after that, the car started behaving.

I have since tried this again in a less pressured situation, and the car works exactly as you would expect. When watching Netflix, simply touch the brake and the car goes into "drive mode" like you'd expect. Tried it 4 or 5 times and it worked predictably.

Hmm... I think I had this exact problem over the weekend, but I was in a shopping center and was not in anyone’s way. I don’t remember what I did to get the screen to terminate Netflix, I possibly did step on the brake.

I recall having a similar problem where Netflix or YouTube would take ~30s to exit. I think it was fixed on 4.11 for me.

I have 4.12 now and Netflix is still quick to exit. YouTube still might take a few seconds (<5) occasionally.

I want to relate a weird situation from this weekend. We were in the new Tesla Y and watching Netflix while waiting in line for a car ferry. When it came to be our turn to move forward onto the ferry, I could not get the car into drive and could not get the screen to exit Netflix. First-world problem, right? However, I then had hundreds of cars behind me impatiently trying to get on the ferry and I'm sitting there trying to get my car to respond. No actions on the screen worked (Netflix was still playing). Foot on the brake - nada. Attempt to put the car into drive - nothing. Opened and closed the door hoping it would instigate some action - nothing. I finally pulled out my phone and locked and then unlocked the car. When I touched the brake after that, the car started behaving.

I have since tried this again in a less pressured situation, and the car works exactly as you would expect. When watching Netflix, simply touch the brake and the car goes into "drive mode" like you'd expect. Tried it 4 or 5 times and it worked predictably.

I had this happen while I was actually ON a ferry. No menu bar appeared touching the screen and didn't notice any "X" close buttons. I couldn't think of what to do and we were approaching the Seattle ferry terminal. So, I did a scroll-button reboot (not sure if I also had the brake pedal pressed). It didn't come back right away, but when it did, it appeared that it had done a reset -- no driver profiles, no installed maps, the Locks page had no listings, no Bluetooth pairings, the UI looked different (older/safety/fallback UI??)...oh and there was this chime dinging constantly. But, luckily I was able to get it in gear in time to get off the ferry. Not knowing what would happen (e.g. require a key card/lock app to drive?) if I tried to fiddle with it some more, I just drove it home (a 30+ minute drive with constant chiming is really annoying).

Once I got there, I didn't feel like dealing with it right away, so I plugged it into the charger and went inside. Within 30-60 minutes I went back out to check on it and the chiming had stopped & the UI was back to normal. I re-entered the driver profiles & re-paired BT phones. Seems OK now. Whew.