Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tent Camping in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could always use your smartphone

Although it would be nice to have superchargers everywhere, that way you never have to worry about cards

My smartphone is an Ipod :wink:
w/out 3g

I gots no celly @ all

So my concerns are similar to those of a ICE driver who knows nothing about EV's :tongue: in some sense

Does everyone take cell phone camping with them? like Concerts? (Cell phones, and their cameras, ruined many live shows!)

... old fashioned tent camping. ... it's great just to be able to pack a ton of stuff in the car. The tent, sleeping bags, pads and some other stuff all went into the frunk ...

Same here this last weekend! The frunk held 5 sleeping bags, 5 thermarest pads, a 3-man tent, 3 small pillows, plus misc smaller items. Crazy and it still left all the space in the rear for food, clothing, a second tent, cooking gear etc. Three kids in the back and we had a blast! The camp site (Krause Springs, west of Austin, Texas) allowed me to recharge off one of their RV site's 10-40 outlets, and wouldn't accept money for the electric. Pretty cool stuff and certainly beats hauling everything in the Odyssey.

Well, I'm one who has camped all over the world from Africa, through meso-america, to the arctic. If the weather is warm enough to even consider air conditioning, you be much happier to throw your pad on the ground and sleep under the stars. If the weather is cold, you'll be happier and warmer to set up a simple 2 or 3 man tent on the ground such as a Meteor Light tent. I don't understand this fixation on having to sleep within the confines of the car. After spending hours in the car, it is nice to get out onto the earth and under the skies. He's a nice video from a recent camping trip, check out the amazing grey whales at 1:20 :Baja Beaches, Baja Whales and Surfing Baja - YouTube

Gene,

I live in South Florida which is a sub-tropical environment. I can assure you that when it is 90 degrees and 99% humid at night, you will not be happier to throw your pad on the ground and sleep under the thunderstorms.

I've seen some pretty nifty tents that incorporate the back of an SUV into the living quarters so that the kids can sleep in the back of the SUV / Car and the adults sleep in the tent. I just think it would be awesome and uniquely Tesla to have the ability to run the car's A/C into the tent to provide a nice dry and cool environment.

I'm all for primitive camping if the weather is nice, but why in the world would I want to make my self miserable when I have the ability to improve the situation?

My smartphone is an Ipod :wink:
w/out 3g

I gots no celly @ all

So my concerns are similar to those of a ICE driver who knows nothing about EV's :tongue: in some sense

Does everyone take cell phone camping with them? like Concerts? (Cell phones, and their cameras, ruined many live shows!)
In that case your idea of leaving the card in the car will work just fine! :)

I for one always take my cell phone on trips, I actually always have the phone on me.

"Tentsla"tent camping in FL in the middle of July

Gene,

I live in South Florida which is a sub-tropical environment. I can assure you that when it is 90 degrees and 99% humid at night, you will not be happier to throw your pad on the ground and sleep under the thunderstorms.

I've seen some pretty nifty tents that incorporate the back of an SUV into the living quarters so that the kids can sleep in the back of the SUV / Car and the adults sleep in the tent. I just think it would be awesome and uniquely Tesla to have the ability to run the car's A/C into the tent to provide a nice dry and cool environment.

I'm all for primitive camping if the weather is nice, but why in the world would I want to make my self miserable when I have the ability to improve the situation?

Amen! We love Westgate River Ranch here in FL, but 90+ degree 95% humidity, Mosquitos and heat make it unthinkable in Florida Summers, until...

image.jpg

Tentsla. Setting the A/C to 11 and putting a couple heavy bags on the seat kept the air on all night, while charging. The mobile app reported 51 in the car and it was low 70s in the tent for the boys and no bugs. Setup was about 15 min and the SUV tunnel fit perfectly around the hatch when I set it to half way up. Also attached the ends by closing them in the door. Really easy. I plan to keep the tent and air mattress in the front well of the Frunk, out of the way. The boy's loved it and we now have cheap camping year round...

OMG this is perhaps the best picture I've seen thus far. I would have done the same thing :)

Amen! We love Westgate River Ranch here in FL, but 90+ degree 95% humidity, Mosquitos and heat make it unthinkable in Florida Summers, until...

View attachment 25686

Tentsla. Setting the A/C to 11 and putting a couple heavy bags on the seat kept the air on all night, while charging. The mobile app reported 51 in the car and it was low 70s in the tent for the boys and no bugs. Setup was about 15 min and the SUV tunnel fit perfectly around the hatch when I set it to half way up. Also attached the ends by closing them in the door. Really easy. I plan to keep the tent and air mattress in the front well of the Frunk, out of the way. The boy's loved it and we now have cheap camping year round...

Tentsla is beyond awesome! How do you get out of the tent though? (I noticed your back seats are up so I assume you're not crawling through the car.)

This particular tent has both a large window through the tunnel and a front door, at the very back of the car/tent from the view you see here. I slept on an air mattress inside with the seat down. Had 6'8" of room. Might need a bag under the air mattress for the gap not to sag. It was great though. I was freezing at 3am so bring a blanket, even in FL Summer.

image.jpg

Tentsla-Got a couple questions on brand. This is Texsport Square Lodge Amazon.com: Texsport The Lodge Square Dome Tent: Sports Outdoors
View attachment 25686

Wow, Tentsla looks absolutely amazing. Exactly what I had thought of. Is this tent any better or worse than the Sportz model?

View attachment 25686

I picked up the idea from this thread and needed to upgrade my tent, so I bought this one :

350-311048-894__1.jpg

Here's our setup at an Ocean City RV Resort, in late August :

IMG_6463.JPG

I did not connect the tunnel, since the girls preferred to have their own apartment, in the form of a little tent behind ...