Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tent production, any worries about build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said, I have no problems with it being built in that "tent". However, the amount of automation vs hand built is concerning. Both are needed obviously, but if this new line differs significantly from the one they've been adjusting for years, then that could be a big problem. The whole point is to reproduce making the car in the exact same way. When you introduce changes in different assembly lines, quality is going to be off.

I definitely don't want a handbuilt car. Aston's are beautiful, but have serious quality issues you don't see in a Toyota.
"The assembly line inside will start out as fully manual and gradually convert to automation in steps, according to Brian Johnson, an analyst at Barclays Plc who met with Tesla’s investor relations department last week."
The Future of Tesla Hinges on This Gigantic Tent

This was likely the same ramping up process with the other lines. Except this line supposedly will be dedicated to P. So, we should wait for first Ps delivered and owners comment on the initial quality.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Original 3 line is barely one year old (not sure that your are talking about with adjusting for years).
Most manufacturers have fully manual GA lines.
Body and paint are automated.
Manually assembled from manufactured parts is not the same as hand built. Bolting in a seat is bolting in a seat, not hand stitching leather...

Most mainstream manufacturers have a mix of both. I remember reading a detailed article on the difficulties Nissan had with their Titan plant when it was new. Even "automated" and "manual" can have different meanings. Most companies have an automated assembly line where there are humans at stations that then do some small part, such as screwing something in. However, even within that, it can vary wildly. The less a human has to line something up, the tighter the tolerances can be.

That's what I'm worried about. The panel gaps Teslas are known for could be a totally automated line that isn't calibrated properly (or it gets misaligned over time and no one is around to notice) or it could be people manually fixing and bolting on parts, and they can't be as precise as robots.

If that 3rd line is just for Performance models, than I'm not as concerned. :) I'm just getting the regular LR like everyone else right now.

I see the tent as a sign that things are getting much better and now they can expand, instead of optimize or fix issues. This is also a good 6 month period based on weather for a tent.

Average Rainfall for Fremont.
Jan - 3.07
Feb - 3.19
March - 2.91
April - 1.14
May - 0.47
June - 0.12
July - 0.00
Aug - .04
Sept - .20
Oct - .87
Nov - 1.85
Dec - 2.83

Most mainstream manufacturers have a mix of both. I remember reading a detailed article on the difficulties Nissan had with their Titan plant when it was new. Even "automated" and "manual" can have different meanings. Most companies have an automated assembly line where there are humans at stations that then do some small part, such as screwing something in. However, even within that, it can vary wildly. The less a human has to line something up, the tighter the tolerances can be.

That's what I'm worried about. The panel gaps Teslas are known for could be a totally automated line that isn't calibrated properly (or it gets misaligned over time and no one is around to notice) or it could be people manually fixing and bolting on parts, and they can't be as precise as robots.

If that 3rd line is just for Performance models, than I'm not as concerned. :) I'm just getting the regular LR like everyone else right now.
:)
Body and all panels are done before the GA line, only things to attach that need alignment/ adjusting are suspension, glass, chrome, and doors. Everything else is bolted, screwed, or snapped into place.