Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teo's improvement ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Mod Note: this thread was carved out of the Open Letter to Elon Musk thread]

It is a shame this forum does not maintain a list of suggestions. The two people who wrote that open letter did what they could. It is just two people's opinion and they got most of the items right. However with the collective intelligence of this forum a much better list could be created. Here are a few items that are not in the open letter but probably would be on such a list:

Valet mode
Better (less soft) paint
Frunk closure
Colour choices other than shades of black
No plastic nosecone

The easiest thing this forum could do is a sticky topic with an opening message containing the list that is regularly updated by a moderator. It could be divided into categories and each category could be sorted according order of priority. Then a list of overall top 5 wishes could be created. Eventually a vbulletin voting module could be implemented if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a shame this forum does not maintain a list of suggestions. The two people who wrote that open letter did what they could. It is just two people's opinion and they got most of the items right. However with the collective intelligence of this forum a much better list could be created. Here are a few items that are not in the open letter but probably would be on such a list:

Valet mode
Better (less soft) paint
Frunk closure
Colour choices other than shades of black
No plastic nosecone

The easiest thing this forum could do is a sticky topic with an opening message containing the list that is regularly updated by a moderator. It could be divided into categories and each category could be sorted according order of priority. Then a list of overall top 5 wishes could be created. Eventually a vbulletin voting module could be implemented if needed.

Coat hook, drivers side only. Still need to go to the dry-cleaners!

It is a shame this forum does not maintain a list of suggestions.

Why is it a shame? Not sure what were actually supposed to do with it and we have a wish list sticky for FW already as well as a very good Wiki thread.

You're more than welcome to set up a Wiki, I'll set it up for you if you have problems, but it would be good if you're also volunteering to maintain it?

Not sure what were actually supposed to do with it

OK, let me break this down for you.
1. Collect information from forum members on what changes they would want to see.
2. Divide the requests into categories such as exterior, interior, firmware, website and ordering, charging network, customer service, phone Line, service centers.
3. Create a list in each category based on requests received. Put items that are more important near the top. Also put items that get more requests near the top.
4. Then keep the list updated. This means as issues are fixed remove them from the list and add new items when they are requested.
5. Create a list of top 10 requests. Updated regularly.
6. Every 3 months send an email to Tesla that includes the top 10 and a link to the rest of requests.

Here is an example on how such a list would look like. This is based on just my limited knowledge. A list generated from contributions by hundreds of people would be much longer.

Top 10
1. Valet mode
2. Frunk closure
3. Better (less soft) paint
4. Colour choices other than shades of black
5. No plastic nosecone
6. Easier useable front seat drink holders
7. Song skipping problem
8. Chademo adapter
9. Coat hook on driver's side
10. Center console to be an option in design studio

Exterior
1. Frunk closure
2. Better (less soft) paint
3. No plastic nosecone

Interior
1. Coat hook on driver's side
2. Easier useable front seat drink holders
3. Rear seat drink holders

Firmware
1. Valet mode
2. Song skipping problem
3. Shuffle mode

Website and Ordering
1. Colour choices other than shades of black
2. Change name of "extended service agreement" to something that does not include the word "service"
3. Add information to warranty agreement on what percentage of degradation the battery will be replaced. Industry standard is 70%. A percentage between 70%, to 80% would be good.
4. Center console to be an option in design studio

Charging network
1. Mobile connector in the UK and Australia
2. Chademo adapter

Customer service, Phone Line, Service centers
1. Make parts available to purchase from centers by anyone. There are hobbyists who want to purchase parts for their electric car conversions.

------

we have a wish list sticky for FW already
I don't see an updated list that reflects the collective input in that topic.

You're more than welcome to set up a Wiki
This is the website where users are. Other than collecting the information on teslamotors.com or from the center screen in the car, this is the third best place. It should be done here.

OK, let me break this down for you.
1. Collect information from forum members on what changes they would want to see.
2. Divide the requests into categories such as exterior, interior, firmware, website and ordering, charging network, customer service, phone Line, service centers.
3. Create a list in each category based on requests received. Put items that are more important near the top. Also put items that get more requests near the top.
4. Then keep the list updated. This means as issues are fixed remove them from the list and add new items when they are requested.
5. Create a list of top 10 requests. Updated regularly.
6. Every 3 months send an email to Tesla that includes the top 10 and a link to the rest of requests.

Here is an example on how such a list would look like:

Top 10
1. Valet mode
2. Frunk closure
3. Better (less soft) paint
4. Colour choices other than shades of black
5. No plastic nosecone
6. Easier useable front seat drink holders
7. Song skipping problem
8. Chademo adapter
9. Coat hook on driver's side
10. Center console to be an option in design studio

Exterior
1. Frunk closure
2. Better (less soft) paint
3. No plastic nosecone

Interior
1. Coat hook on driver's side
2. Easier useable front seat drink holders
3. Rear seat drink holders

Firmware
1. Valet mode
2. Song skipping problem
3. Shuffle mode

Website and Ordering
1. Colour choices other than shades of black
2. Change name of "extended service agreement" to something that does not include the word "service"
3. Add information to warranty agreement on what percentage of degradation the battery will be replaced. Industry standard is 70%. A percentage between 70%, to 80% would be good.
4. Center console to be an option in design studio

Charging network
1. Mobile connector in the UK and Australia
2. Chademo adapter

Customer service, Phone Line, Service centers
1. Make parts available to purchase from centers by anyone. There are hobbyists who want to purchase parts for their electric car conversions.

------

This is the website where users are. Other than collecting the information on teslamotors.com or from the center screen in the car, this is the third best place. It should be done here.

I honestly burst out laughing over this post. And then said, "OMG!". Did you really type 'Let me break it down for you'? (That was rhetorical, obviously you did.) We're volunteers. If you'd like to volunteer to build a wiki, do it. Otherwise (breaking it down for you), please don't patronize like that.

I gave you the link to the FW wish list Wiki thread in my previous post, I'm not sure why you edited it out of your reply?

Only third best? Oh well.

Just let us know if you need help to start the Wiki.

I overlooked the wiki link. When you said wiki I though you are suggesting wikipedia or some other wiki website. I didn't know vbulletin had the wiki feature. Now that you mentioned it again I checked it and it looks good. It is very detailed. It has even subcategories under the firmware category. I hope the people at Tesla responsible of the firmware see that list. It could be very helpful. I'm not sure it gets the exposure it deserves here in the forum. I visit the forum regularly and I didn't know about that wiki page.

However it is only for firmware. There are those other categories that are as important. So maybe somebody will think of a way to create and manage a list like in my previous reply. I'm just putting the forward. It seems like something that would be nice to have.

So maybe somebody will think of a way to create and manage a list like in my previous reply. I'm just putting the forward. It seems like something that would be nice to have.

Maybe that somebody could be you? You seem to have the interest and desire to see this happen. Why wait for someone else to step up and do it? C'mon, Teo! You know you want to do it. :)

Everytime I click on Site Feedback after visiting this thread I get "The server cannot be found". Is this Bonnie's way of holding visitors here until someone sets up a Wiki for Teo? Help, I've fallen and can't get up.. errr....out!

Bonnie I'm not sure I'm the right person. I don't own a Model S. I don't have access to mytesla section on teslamotors.com. Also I'm too argumentative. Yes I have the motivation but it is seasonal. I might move on to something else. I just find Tesla to be the most exciting thing in recent years. However when I look at the list I wrote above, it looks like a good starting point. Somebody could take it from here and keep at it.

The thing about volunteer organizations... if you want something done, then volunteer to do it. Otherwise suggestions for what other people should spend their volunteer time on are usually not received very enthusiastically. In my experience.

Doug, this is not necessarily something one person should do. That is only one way to do it.

A second way could be a group of people responsible for such a wiki that maintains a list like above. One of the site admins could start the wiki and invite people to join. This way you can have continuation. If it was one person doing all the job, continuation is not guaranteed.

A third way is to set up multiple wikis, one for each main category. There is already one for firmware. Other wikis could be set up for exterior, interior and other categories. Then an overall list with selected items could be created from those multiple wikis.

A fourth way is to implement a forum feature. I'm not sure if a standard poll would work. I don't know if you can add or remove items from a poll.
Update: I just checked and it seems the standard vbulletin poll can't have items added to it. I still don't know if you can remove items because they would need to be removed after Tesla has implemented them. If you can't add them I would expect that you can't also remove items. However here is a vbulletin advanced poll widget that has the ability to add items after the poll is published.

Ranker, Advanced Poll Widget for Vbulletin
Ranker - Advanced Poll Widget - Increase User Engagement/Traffic - EASY INSTALL! - vBulletin.org Forum
Details: Ranker - Advanced Poll Widget - Increase User Engagement/Traffic | The Admin Zone

So that was option number four. As you can see I'm just suggesting something that would be nice to have but I'm not saying there is only one way to do it. I think that last option looks more exciting because more people would know about it and contribute to it. I'm not the administrator of this forum or any vbulletin forum. So I can't test if that will work. But I think you are the forum admin here. So maybe you could consider.

Edit:
There is a nice website for Ranker:
Rankings About Everything. Voted on by Everyone.

Last edited:
Teo, just do it. Doug_G is not the forum administrator here. He is a volunteer moderator, just like I am. And I don't have the time (or inclination) to take on yet another task ... I'm guessing the other moderators feel the same way.

But honestly, if you want to do it, Nigel has pointed you in the direction to do so. See if you can get another person to jump in and help you instead of trying to convince someone else to do the work for you. Seems like the best solution. Or maybe go to the Tesla Motors forum and suggest it to them, if you really don't think they are already paying attention to input.

For the record, if you were asking (which I know you're not, but let's pretend you did) - I don't think something like this is needed. Tesla staff cruises all these forums quite frequently and are well versed with the requests. I can't imagine that any of this is a surprise to any of them. Why in the world would they need us to create lists and whatnot for them?

But if you want to do it, go for it. And if someone else wants to join in, more power to all of you. I think that's great. As I said in the thread about the Open Letter to Elon, it wasn't the way I'd go about it, but I always give credit to people who actually stop talking about what should be done and just go do it. They put their letter in the paper. You want a wiki, do it! And kudos to you if you do.

:)

Teo, you are asking forum volunteers or forum users to devote a lot of time to accomplish something you want accomplished in a very specific way.

Do it yourself. You have been given the necessary information.

If you aren't willing to do it yourself, then please stop asking others to do it for you.

I find this all confusing as well. Not that you have to own a Tesla but most who don't typically don't come and lecture owners on what they should do without first trying to do something about it themselves first.