TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by doug, Nov 16, 2009.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Attached Files:

2. doug

Here's a 2008 presentation by TEPCO on those quick-charging stations.

http://www.iea.org/work/2008/transport/TEPCO.pdf

Explains the confusion with the i-MiEV quick charge connector. For some reason Mitsubishi keeps quoting the input of the charging station rather than what the car sees.

3. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Interesting post in EV Charger Maps for Vacaville

4. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Some photos of the Vacaville install ...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=623&d=1268891760.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=624&d=1268891830.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=625&d=1268891864.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=626&d=1268891894.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=627&d=1268891923.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=628&d=1268891960.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=629&d=1268892027.jpg

Attached Files:

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Ready for Nissan Leaf to make the trip SF <-> Sacramento?

6. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Maybe. I am trying to get more info. I thought though that all the early deliveries (at least the "public" production ones) would have the fast-charge port disabled (initially at least).

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

8. doug

#9 doug, May 23, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    From the EVnut:

http://evnut.com/vaca_dc_fast_charger.html

10052023DC_fast.jpg

10052004DC_fast.jpg
    Wonder why it only appears to be supplying about 24 kW here.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

The batteries do not charge linearly so the power output will vary while charging.

Also, the charging speed typically given for the iMIEV is ~30 minutes for 80% or ~26kW.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

11. doug

#12 doug, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    That thread was more about a faster type of "fast" charging or fast charging in general. I'll pull together the TEPCO specific stuff some time tomorrow.

Edit: Done

12. doug

Given that the Mennekes connector is capable of Level III (via 3 phase), I wasn't aware that these are being installed in Europe as well.

Europe's first commercial fast-charging station officially opens to public - ABG
    europe-first-fast-charger-epyon-open.jpg

First Commercial Fast-Charging Station for EVs in Europe Enters Operation - edmunds.com
    [​IMG]

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Mennekes is a proposal for the new IEC 62196-2 standard, which is still in progress. It's just about to finish the "second committee draft" stage at the end of the month and is scheduled for full completion by the end of October.

The Dutch Taxi firm above probably needed something quick and off the shelf for their conversion. The danger here is that with the likes of this, Nissan and Mitsubishi coming, the IEC standard might arrive to the party late. It wouldn't be the first time a superior standard has shown up and found everyone else got there and drank all the beer, so to speak (I'll refrain from using any other analogy). Even in the world of EV's they've tried before.

14. doug

Supposedly this TEPCO/CHAdeMO standard is still in progress as well.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Still don't see the need for these massive, expensive chargers for this amount of power.

17. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

About half way between Sacramento and SanFrancisco in a place called Vacaville, affectionately also known as "Voltageville" or (some say) "Voltsville". Has 4 Tesla charges (2 each at two locations, including this one, and one on other side of same Interstate).

Those LEAF and iMiEV owners on a frequent trek on the heavily travelled I-80between SMF & SFO ... they SURE will appreciate it. No other way to make it ... unless you want to "turtle along" ...

18. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

TEPCO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

I have been reading these reports, and something is bugging me. To prove the iMiev could drive San Francisco to Sacramento they drove 54 miles to Vacaville, arriving essentially empty. Then they get an 80% fast charge and drive on the remaining 30 or so miles to Sacramento.

BUT ... What if they were going the other way? They'd arrive 50% full at Vacaville, and then have a much longer wait as you can't push charge into the battery above 80% nearly as fast. Potentially it could take an hour or more to do the last 20%. And you couldn't afford not to fill that last 20% as you'd need every kWh to get from Vacaville to San Francisco.

My conclusions are:

1. Don't take your iMiev to Sacramento and expect to be coming back!

2. Fast chargers can't just be at the mid-point of a route - they need to be well past the mid-point in each direction.

3. Battery capacity matters - here Tesla has it 100% right. A fast charging vehicle with 16 kWh/50-60 mile freeway range (like the iMiev) is nowhere close to the utility of a 150-180 mile freeway fast-charging vehicle (e.g. 230 mile version of Model S).

Apart from the first 50-60 mile leg, the iMiev thereafter needs to be recharged every 45 miles (due to the 80% fast charge limit - 40 miles if you don't want to be driving on empty at the end of each leg). This means a 20 minute stop every 3/4 hour.

The 230 mile Model S would need to be recharged every 100-120 miles, or around 1 and a half to two hours. This seems closer to the intervals I find comfortable for longer drives. Assuming 45 minute 80% recharge (as I believe Tesla have suggested) I would find the breaks comfortable length too.