Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was talking to a rep from Schneider Electric recently, and he said that their CHAdeMO chargers produce 600 VDC.

Tesla has stated, I believe, that the Model S Superchargers are 480V 200A.

Sounds to me like their could be a more fundamental incompatibility than protocols, unless the CHAdeMO chargers can dial down to the lower voltage.

Can anyone confirm this?

I had always thought the standard was for "up to 500V" which kinda implies it's variable.

Here's wikipedia for what it's worth:
CHAdeMO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TEPCO has developed patented technology and a specification for high-voltage (up to 500 VDC) high-current (125 A) automotive fast charging via a JARI DC fast charge connector.[6] It appears this is the basis for the CHAdeMO protocol.[7] The connector is specified by the JEVS (Japan Electric Vehicle Standard) G105-1993 from the Japan Automobile Research Institute.[8]

I was talking to a rep from Schneider Electric recently, and he said that their CHAdeMO chargers produce 600 VDC.

Tesla has stated, I believe, that the Model S Superchargers are 480V 200A.

Sounds to me like their could be a more fundamental incompatibility than protocols, unless the CHAdeMO chargers can dial down to the lower voltage.

Can anyone confirm this?

I think input matters more than output (but usually input is standardized anyways). The output of a DC charger has to be variable for two reasons:
1) lithium batteries are charged with the CC-CV (constant current-constant voltage) method, which means the voltage will vary a lot even during charging of the same battery.
2) the appropriate charging voltage (and nominal pack voltage) varies with every different car/battery pack (it's usually around 300-400V, but the specific number varies a lot). It's the car that tells the charger what voltage to charge at.

Orca Mobile
9a9a81b801492ea7bcdb363fd76143c1_gxub.jpg

What do you suppose the target market for these Orcas might be? Given the substantial amount of power required, it's hard to imagine that there won't need to be a dedicated plug for it. Why not just buy a permanent installation?

You could put in 480 VAC plugs all along your shop bays. And just move around 2 chargers to each car. Plug in both ends. You could have room to park 16 cars, but only 2 chargers. The cost to put in the 16x 480VAC outlets would be relatively cheap. Then you don't have to shuffle cars around to get the EV in the EV stall.

You could put in 480 VAC plugs all along your shop bays. And just move around 2 chargers to each car. Plug in both ends. You could have room to park 16 cars, but only 2 chargers. The cost to put in the 16x 480VAC outlets would be relatively cheap. Then you don't have to shuffle cars around to get the EV in the EV stall.

I think that Tesla will tell us that the day to day charging should be done at 20kw or less for the health of the battery. Fast charging constantly will likely take some life from the pack.

That charger can also take 208/240V input. Although it is a bit "overkill" for that purpose, it could still be handy for a shop to be able to charge LEAFs at ~12kW (240V@50A) which will recharge a lot quicker than the onboard 3.3kW (240V@16A).

But can it go down to 480V?

Chademo (Tepco) spec is for DC 50 to 500V and 0 to 125A.
I have seen data on DCQC units which do not spec this entire range, or do spec even more.
Eaton quotes 156A while AeroVironment makes one that can be configured for CHAdeMO (EV125) that specs 275A and 50 to 600VDC output at up to 125kW.

With the cost of connecting such high power devices to the grid, I think it will be interesting to see how units with built in buffer batteries fare in the market.