Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeraFactory Austin Texas Preliminary Build Schedule --- Substantial completion ****

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Q for those of you in Austin / Travis County:

That red earth that forms most of the submaterial the GF site developers have been leveling - is that relatively benign in wet weather, or does it act like Louisiana gumbo or Georgia clay or Wyoming bentonite or other slicker 'n otter snot unmentionable ~~~:mad:~~~ ?
Only the soil boring report will say for sure. sgs

Would you please stop with this “Tera-“ nonsense? If for no other reason, although there are plenty, it diminishes any material you would like to contribute.

And....”Can I get some likes?”? Word.
A Tera-factory is just the beginning; when, asz soon as I can pronounce it, I am going to break-ground (as it were) on a singularity at the bottom of a black hole to build my "Damedamedameyodamenanoyo-factory".

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies
A Tera-factory is just kids play. I am going to, as soon as I can pronounce it, break ground (as it were) on a factory of my own. It will be built at the bottom of a black hole on a singularity; -- a "Damedamedameyodamenanoyoyo-factory" That's DAM E - DAM E - DAM E - O - DAM E - NANO - YoYo factory. I REALLY like tiny YoYo's. Oh Dam me!

“Anymore” ≠ “Vacation”

For crying in the mud, if you’re going to go Full Frontal Texan about this, why that pissant “Tera” term? Call it a PetaFactory. Call it an EkaFactory. Call it a LumaFactory.

Words matter. Abuse them, and they become meaningless. That’s why not.
Thanks. Please let me know when the grammar police is back from vacation. I’ll find my way out of here.

A Q for those of you in Austin / Travis County:

That red earth that forms most of the submaterial the GF site developers have been leveling - is that relatively benign in wet weather, or does it act like Louisiana gumbo or Georgia clay or Wyoming bentonite or other slicker 'n otter snot unmentionable ~~~:mad:~~~ ?

sticky clay

as to it’s long term stability, go check out the nearby racetrack (Circuit of the Americas) or ask any Formula One or MotoGP fan what the track surface has done since the asphalt was laid a few years ago.

Typically in the "regular" automotive industry (I know, Tesla is not a "regular" OEM), once the robotic lines can be brought in and installed into a plant, there is at least a month or two before any finished product rolls of the line (assuming completely assembled within said facility) because when the lines are moved from an integrators floor to the plant floor, the robot movement paths need to be touched up since there are millimeter variances in installing the equipment in a new location among other things that can go wrong and will.

Sometimes production can begin sooner if the integrators were building parts and storing them before the lines were torn down and moved.
As far as this Tera factory goes, if Tesla is cutting out the middle-man integrator (I don't know if they are), then it'll be even longer since initial programming and what not that would have been done before moving the equipment in, will not have be done until the robots and tooling are installed for the first time.

So between Dec and the end of May the factory will be done and they will be building Trucks
Following Rivian progress, they are now where Tesla aims to be around May. They are 'producing' trucks now. But they won't be selling any until June. They are working to get the line working correctly and efficiently, and all trucks being made are slated for testing (as in crashing them in to walls).

Based on that, Tesla factory being 'complete' in May still means trucks wouldn't be available until end of 2021.

One reason for Ys being made first... they already know how to make them. Less production line trial and error.

Following Rivian progress, they are now where Tesla aims to be around May. They are 'producing' trucks now. But they won't be selling any until June. They are working to get the line working correctly and efficiently, and all trucks being made are slated for testing (as in crashing them in to walls).

Based on that, Tesla factory being 'complete' in May still means trucks wouldn't be available until end of 2021.

One reason for Ys being made first... they already know how to make them. Less production line trial and error.

You mean like this? :

fake wood.png

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
For all those who find my denigration of the misuse of "Terafactory" abusive to your sensitive eyes - 12 so far in one of my posts and four in another, with some overlap -

Just for you I have registered-copyrighted the use of the following words:

Petafactory®
Exafactory®
Zettafactory®
Yottafactory®

But I am a benevolent word maven and happily will grant you permission to fair use of same - permission required, of course. Details upon request.

But wait! There's more! You and your ilk are more than welcome to clamber even further up the magnitude scale and misuse those words to your hearts' desires. Have fun.

For all those who find my denigration of the misuse of "Terafactory" abusive to your sensitive eyes - 12 so far in one of my posts and four in another, with some overlap -

Just for you I have registered-copyrighted the use of the following words:

Petafactory®
Exafactory®
Zettafactory®
Yottafactory®

But I am a benevolent word maven and happily will grant you permission to fair use of same - permission required, of course. Details upon request.

But wait! There's more! You and your ilk are more than welcome to clamber even further up the magnitude scale and misuse those words to your hearts' desires. Have fun.
Someday, I hope your copyrighted yottafactory is no longer useful due to the yottalottafactory...

Apparently construction on the Austin Giga/Tera/WhateverFactory has gone to 24 hour three-shift construction. I think they are a little bit behind schedule, and I wonder if Elon is doing his best to beat the Rivian to market?

Some construction activities are now going through the night, but I don't know if that means they are behind schedule, or are trying to get ahead.