Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeraFactory & Cybertruck coming to Austin Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Austin is not like Dallas. There is plenty of wide open spaces near Austin.
Did you ever heard of Texaplex, or the Texas Triangle?

The Texas Triangle is formed by the state's four main urban centers, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin,
connected by Interstate 45, Interstate 10, and Interstate 35.

And future location of the Texas Central high-speed rail line between Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston.
Service on the line could start as early as 2026, and will be the first dedicated high-speed rail line in North America.

300px-Texas_Triangle%2C_Cities_and_Counties_map.svg.png

The cities and counties in or near the Texas Triangle, a megaregion of the US state of Texas:
City names in bold in the map legend are in the top 10 most populous Texas cities.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Did you ever heard of Texaplex, or the Texas Triangle?

The Texas Triangle is formed by the state's four main urban centers, Houston, Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin,
connected by Interstate 45, Interstate 10, and Interstate 35.

And future location of the Texas Central high-speed rail line between Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston.
Service on the line could start as early as 2026, and will be the first dedicated high-speed rail line in North America.

300px-Texas_Triangle%2C_Cities_and_Counties_map.svg.png

The cities and counties in or near the Texas Triangle, a megaregion of the US state of Texas:
City names in bold in the map legend are in the top 10 most populous Texas cities.
Texaplex: New Book out Now!

Oklahoma governor has heartily welcomed Tesla to Tulsa in a public way.

Texas governor has acknowledged discussions have taken place.

Translation:
OK gov knows he's on the outside looking in. The public embrace is a last ditch "Hail Mary" pass. He has nothing to lose at this point.
TX gov knows he's about to close the deal of his political career.

Reactions: TechOps
"TX gov knows he's about to close the deal of his political career"
Now suppose the following:
Tesla will promise:
1. build a factory producing Model Y, Cybertruck, Megapacks and more;
2. open 50 Tesla stores/service centers within 18 months;
3.employ at least 10,00 people in Texas within two years;
4. deploy grid services to absorb and balance the rapidity growing Texas Grid Wind power plus solar.
Texas will:
1. allow Tesla to sell and support vehicles and energy storage products directly in Texas;
2. provide all the permits and approvals required to accomplish everything Tesla has promised to do;
3. Provide Tesla with a license to operate as a public utility, in addition to the other permits and approvals;
4. Provide all the normal 'Texas-sized' inducements to enter and build within Texas, which will equal or exceed any inducements offered in the past to any oil, gas or utility provider.

If all that can happen, Tesla would be fully justified to move headquarters to Texas. Texas would indeed become the
US State best prepared for the future.

Thanks to Autobidder, battery day and all the other things that exist already, everything above is very achievable with no new innovation! Imagine what will happen because innovation will actually accelerate.

We need some positive news, desperately. This could actually do that. Texas would need to be brave. They have proven they can be with wind power.

If it wasn't for California Tesla would not exist. Who has been supporting Tesla in their infant stages? Californians. Who has bought @50% of all Tesla's? Californians. Musk throws an unhinged, entitled billionaire tantrum and wants to move to Texas? A state that won't even allow him to sell Tesla's. If the board of directors was to approve this move - and it is up to them - then they are just weak puppets. Maybe it is time to send Musk to the abyss like Apple did with Jobs so that he can come back enlightened.

Settle down...this is not a move to Texas/Tulsa, it is a new factory they need because they are growing. If Tesla does decide to eventually close the Fremont plant they will then need even further expansion and may open more plants near this new one, or may choose yet another location.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Last edited:
If it wasn't for California Tesla would not exist. Who has been supporting Tesla in their infant stages? Californians. Who has bought @50% of all Tesla's? Californians. Musk throws an unhinged, entitled billionaire tantrum and wants to move to Texas? A state that won't even allow him to sell Tesla's. If the board of directors was to approve this move - and it is up to them - then they are just weak puppets. Maybe it is time to send Musk to the abyss like Apple did with Jobs so that he can come back enlightened.

why do you assume Californians would stop supporting Tesla if Tesla moves out of the state? Sure, some might. But certainly far from the majority. I can’t stand how my state (Michigan) has treated Tesla over the years but hasn’t stopped buyers. The state did slow buyers initially but that’s mainly because Tesla couldn’t have service or sales centers in the state until recently. I’m starting to see quite a few more Teslas now.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Is selling Tesla vehicles directly to the public a major negotiation factor in building a Texas factory? I think Texas is one of a handful of states that doesn't allow direct vehicle sales to the public. Tesla should not build a factory in Texas without rights to sell all Tesla vehicles directly to tbe public.

Gee, it must be difficult to buy a Tesla in Texas. I assume you must do pickup in another state. Not a quick drive!

Is selling Tesla vehicles directly to the public a major negotiation factor in building a Texas factory? I think Texas is one of a handful of states that doesn't allow direct vehicle sales to the public. Tesla should not build a factory in Texas without rights to sell all Tesla vehicles directly to tbe public.

Gee, it must be difficult to buy a Tesla in Texas. I assume you must do pickup in another state. Not a quick drive!
Honestly I didn’t give it a second thought when I bought mine a couple years ago. I checked out the car at a gallery, made made my purchase online and waited. Then it was delivered and scheduled for pick at my local service center. They did a great job of walking through the car and I was on my way. I hate the idea of Texas dealership unions stopping Tesla from direct sales also, but I’m not sure how different my experience would have been either way.

edit;
I guess I did have to pay a deliver fee of 1 grand now that I think about it. Would like to have had that money for some new wheels or cool upgrade I guess.

Honestly I didn’t give it a second thought when I bought mine a couple years ago. I checked out the car at a gallery, made made my purchase online and waited. Then it was delivered and scheduled for pick at my local service center. They did a great job of walking through the car and I was on my way. I hate the idea of Texas dealership unions stopping Tesla from direct sales also, but I’m not sure how different my experience would have been either way.

edit;
I guess I did have to pay a deliver fee of 1 grand now that I think about it. Would like to have had that money for some new wheels or cool upgrade I guess.

everyone pays that 1k delivery fee. Even with other manufacturers (Might very slightly per manufacturer). (Unless you were charged an extra 1k beyond the initial 1k).

everyone pays that 1k delivery fee. Even with other manufacturers (Might very slightly per manufacturer). (Unless you were charged an extra 1k beyond the initial 1k).
Interesting. I didn’t realize that. I paid the standard 1000 then like everyone else, and nothing more.
all that being said. What is the downside of no direct sales? As far as the consumer goes......
I’m sure it DOES matter to Tesla themselves, but to me what would have been different?

Texans can buy cars directly from Tesla. I bought two Teslas from the comfort of my home and picked them both up at the Houston Service Center. Easy process for me. Who (from Texas) said you can’t buy a Tesla in Texas?

Lots of CA businesses leave CA for Texas. Texas is the No.1 destination for companies leaving California over the last 12 years. The Fortune 150 global company I worked for (after being HQ’d in SoCal for nearly 100 years) moved its HQ to Dallas. Read the article to find out why business leave CA for TX.

Texas No.1 destination for companies leaving California for last 12 years

Interesting. I didn’t realize that. I paid the standard 1000 then like everyone else, and nothing more.
all that being said. What is the downside of no direct sales? As far as the consumer goes......
I’m sure it DOES matter to Tesla themselves, but to me what would have been different?
Given that Tesla has become quite adept at workarounds, the differences to a Texas New vehicle buyer probably will not be huge. The impact on Tesla economics will be substantial, and being able to stock new and used inventory for immediate delivery will change the buying experience for those who desire immediate gratification. For those of us habituated to order and wait, probably not much change.

Reactions: quickstrike12

Texans can easily buy cars directly from Tesla. I bought two Teslas from the comfort of my home and picked them both up at the Houston Service Center. Easy process for me. Who (from Texas) said you can’t buy a Tesla in Texas?

I also had no problem buying my Tesla here in Austin online.
And I've also seen on Tesla website now that they have cars listed at specific Texas locations. Almost like having a dealership.
I bet allowing Tesla to sell cars directly will be part of the deal with the TeraFactory.